VOGONS

PC Speaker

Topic actions

First post, by uniracers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a circa 1998 Compaq Presario 5150. This computer has no internal speaker. I looked all over the motherboard for a connector labeled SPKR, but couldn't find one. I did find something that looks like a connector that has four pins with one of the pins missing. So, I bought a piezo type buzzer off of eBay and tried, but I did not get a beep when booting. This leads me to one of the following conclusions:

1. This is not the speaker connector.
2. It is the speaker connector, but it does not work for some reason.
3. The buzzer that I bought does not work. I don't have another computer to try it in, so I am not sure how I can test this.

Is it possible that there is no speaker connector on the motherboard?

Reply 1 of 3, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some oem mobos just don't have one, and don't provide pins for it.
They run it through the integrated audio instead. You will hear it at post if that is the case with speakers plugged into the IA.
That can be a blessing or an annoyance depending on what your gonna use the machine for.

Reply 2 of 3, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On one old 286 with only 8-bit ISA slots there also aren't any speaker pins. I guess some older mobos just don't have them.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 3, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaWing wrote:

Some oem mobos just don't have one, and don't provide pins for it.
They run it through the integrated audio instead. You will hear it at post if that is the case with speakers plugged into the IA.

I can confirm that an old Compaq Presario 510 that I had did not have a dedicated internal speaker and used the integrated audio system instead. That PC had built-in speakers however, not sure if the Presario 5150 also has any built-in speakers. Another more recent Compaq (Deskpro EP P600) does have a tiny PC speaker soldered to the motherboard. It's a little grey plastic box with a hole at the top. It's not very evident that it is a speaker.