VOGONS

First post, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings. I recently found these two cards (Attached pictures) at the area computer recycler/refurbisher, and I was curious to know more about them. It was unusual that they even had them available, since their storefront where I found them rarely has anything older than about 15 years. I know vaguely what they are from Google searches, but I'm curious to know more about whether they were fairly common or uncommon back in the day, whether they're of any potential use in anything newer than an XT (I doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to ask), and maybe if anyone here might be interested were I to decide/realize I have no real need for them.

I don't even know if they work, considering I don't have a compatible monitor for the Hercules card, and I don't even know how to use the AST card. When it comes to vintage PC hardware, the farthest back I've ever gone is 286, so this is a bit before my area of knowledge.

Thank you.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hercules graphics cards was very common at the very beginning of 90s, at least here in Turkey. It was a better alternative to CGA (IMHO) and fully compatible with it, and much cheaper then VGA. But to say the truth, they were almost all clones, not Hercules brand, in addition to being more modernish, half size cards. A typical example is below:

hgc-card1.jpg

What use it will have with a modernish computer is completely dependent to a user's needs. I remember it was possible to use them as a secondary display adapter to a VGA card (during pre PCI times), with some software supporting this feature (AutoCAD, for example). But definately not as a secondary display that we know today. Graphic on one screen, text only for the second.

The other card is probably not for anything with an on board real time clock. I can't remember the "6" in its pack, but the first five features it gives the user is a serial port, a parallel port, a game port, additional memory (384 KB ?), and a real time clock. I'm not very well versed in 286s and very early 386s, but all modernish 386 boards (1990+) had on board clocks and sockets for additional RAM, and even during those days, every multi I/O card had at least one of each ports (serial, parallel, game - typical I/O card below). So, for a relatively modern machine this card will be meaningless, but for an XT (or maybe an early 286?), it might be a worthy addition.

multi_i_o.jpg

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 10, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hercules graphics cards was very common at the very beginning of 90s, at least here in Turkey. It was a better alternative to CGA (IMHO) and fully compatible with it

They were not compatible with CGA. They had a decent amount of software support but they had a completely different memory address compared to CGA
not to mention only one 720x348 mode

Reply 4 of 10, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember playing lots of games on an amber monitor w/ herc graphics and I thought they looked great specifically Lesure Suit Larry series, Space Quest I & II, Prehistorik and a lot more.

Does anyone have any actual photos of hercules screens from various games? Stuff on the web are all weird VGA renderings made to look like Hercules. In reality they look nothing like the real thing. I'm now doubting my memory.. might have to pull that monitor out of storage and see, if it still works.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 5 of 10, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

What use it will have with a modernish computer is completely dependent to a user's needs. I remember it was possible to use them as a secondary display adapter to a VGA card (during pre PCI times), with some software supporting this feature (AutoCAD, for example). But definately not as a secondary display that we know today. Graphic on one screen, text only for the second.

It is still possible to use a monochrome Hercules card with a PCI VGA card, provided you have both PCI and ISA slots. Most useful for debugging when you are developing under DOS.

Reply 7 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

Does anyone have any actual photos of hercules screens from various games? Stuff on the web are all weird VGA renderings made to look like Hercules. In reality they look nothing like the real thing. I'm now doubting my memory.. might have to pull that monitor out of storage and see, if it still works.

If you are aware of a screen grabber utility that works on an XT with MDA, I can get you as many as you want.
I have searched in the past for such a utility, but they either don't work on an XT or they don't get screenshots from an MDA.

Reply 8 of 10, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

Hercules graphics cards was very common at the very beginning of 90s, at least here in Turkey. It was a better alternative to CGA (IMHO) and fully compatible with it

They were not compatible with CGA. They had a decent amount of software support but they had a completely different memory address compared to CGA
not to mention only one 720x348 mode

It's semantics.. 😊

If I can play CGA games just by running a small TSR for CGA emulation, I consider it as "compatible". 😈

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 9 of 10, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:
Half-Saint wrote:

If you are aware of a screen grabber utility that works on an XT with MDA, I can get you as many as you want.
I have searched in the past for such a utility, but they either don't work on an XT or they don't get screenshots from an MDA.

I think Half-Saint really meant photos and not screenshots. For screenshots one could probably just use DOSBox without scaling.
The problem with screen grabber utilities for MDA/Hercules is that there is no easy way to detect if the card is running in text mode or graphics mode (most registers are write-only). There was a workaround which involved counting the displayed scan lines (350 for text mode, 348 for graphics mode). I remember reading an article in an old PC magazine where the author used this method in a hard-copy utility.

tayyare wrote:

It's semantics.. 😊

If I can play CGA games just by running a small TSR for CGA emulation, I consider it as "compatible". 😈

"Compatible" in the same sense a GUS is Sound Blaster compatible...