VOGONS

Reply 660 of 3172, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

If I'm not mistaken those are for the classic GUS anyways.

I doubt. Some includes and functions contain IW prefix in names, so it is probably DOS Interwave mixer.

update: it is a compiler issue, because it can't open standard include files.
update2: mixer sources is located in all.exe\all\apps\dosmixer

--wbcbz7

Reply 661 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://i.imgur.com/gz0mLaB.png

Finally got Eagle3d to produce a nice representation of the PCB Logo.
(If there's massive $$$ overshoot in the end I could even have those produced as keychains for donors as the last scream in nerd fashion 😀 I'm planning on using the money on more useful stuff tho and the keyring being something I can have produced individually if there's any actual interest.)

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 662 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would be interested in the keychain... What a hardware fetishist I am, holy cow 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 663 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back & front side of Prototype 1:
6vLr0lH.jpg
(Eagle3D introduces some bugs, like missing out the component names, rendering cut out polygons differently, some silkscreen nonsense)

[Z?]

Reply 664 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just can't read the new JP numbers (if you've renumbered them), but on the jumpers description they start with JP4. And the "-" sign for JP6 and JP7 is missing (I guess, that's the Eagle3D bug once again).
And... have you put the pinheaders for all audio ports already?.. I just can't see them...

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 665 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

Just can't read the new JP numbers (if you've renumbered them), but on the jumpers description they start with JP4.

That's Eagle3D

hard1k wrote:

And the "-" sign for JP6 and JP7 is missing (I guess, that's the Eagle3D bug once again).

That's POVRay

hard1k wrote:

And... have you put the pinheaders for all audio ports already?.. I just can't see them...

Right above the regulators near the edge (those 90° 4-Pin headers). Adding headers for MIC-IN & Line-Out doesn't make sense (or one could replace the 3.5mm jack connectors with headers - if they really want to).

[Z?]

Reply 666 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All in all it looks just great 😀

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 667 of 3172, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

Back & front side of Prototype 1:
(Eagle3D introduces some bugs, like missing out the component names, rendering cut out polygons differently, some silkscreen nonsense)

ARGUS.JPG
Filename
ARGUS.JPG
File size
421.02 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This looks great, but I'd like to make a suggestion if it isn't too late: See those red circles I highlighted on ARGUS, can that 'overhang' be removed along the red dotted line on the PCB?

The reason I mention this is that on some motherboards, when an ISA card is seated, this kind of overhang physically interferes with nearby socketed ICs that are quite high - meaning this overhang could touch an IC on the motherboard and prevent ARGUS from seating properly within the ISA slot.

I've had to remove this type of overhang using a file to fix this issue with some motherboards. It would be a shame if I needed to do this with ARGUS.

Reply 668 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I understand that it might be too late but just can't but suggest something. What if we remove the jumper description completely, put a larger ARGUS demoscene-style logo in that place, and the classic GUS-style logo goes on the back of the card - and as it is on the silkscreen layer, it can be made muuuuch bigger - like that Intense3D logo occupying almost the whole surface of the corresponding Voodoo Rush cards.
Just keep in mind that in current design it will not be seen due to the SIMM hanging over it, and the demoscene-styled logo won't be seen in many configurations due to being on the back.
Just for your consideration 😀

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 669 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

I understand that it might be too late but just can't but suggest something. What if we remove the jumper description completely, put a larger ARGUS demoscene-style logo in that place, and the classic GUS-style logo goes on the back of the card - and as it is on the silkscreen layer, it can be made muuuuch bigger - like that Intense3D logo occupying almost the whole surface of the corresponding Voodoo Rush cards.
Just keep in mind that in current design it will not be seen due to the SIMM hanging over it, and the demoscene-styled logo won't be seen in many configurations due to being on the back.
Just for your consideration 😀

To be perfectly honest - no.
I like the jumper descriptions and adding silkscreen to the bottom would increase the PCB price by another 30%. Also large areas filled with silkscreen overlapping with vias/drills looks ugly - kinda like some kind of acne on a PCB 😁
Once the SIMM is installed people will barely throw looks onto the card anyways 😉

About removing the overhang near the ISA connector, that issue was discussed a few pages back. There are various reasons why I'm keeping it that way:
a) It's the mainboard being in violation, not the card as it's perfectly within ISA specs - also you barely see that overhang lacking completely on commercially made cards.
b) I can creep it back so it goes in line with the lower edge of the silkscreen of the joystick port - that way it might still fit if there's a small SMD IC in the way.
c) Your suggestion causes the joystick mount to be left hanging in the breeze, while the mounts still could interfere with whatever a mainboard designer not paying attention/being lazy put there.

There's one major design issue tho ... the acronym/backcronym is written out nowhere on the card. Actually found that quite funny when it became known to me earlier.

[Z?]

Reply 670 of 3172, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

b) I can creep it back so it goes in line with the lower edge of the silkscreen of the joystick port - that way it might still fit if there's a small SMD IC in the way.

This would be a good compromise, as it shaves off a few millimetres. In most cases with motherboards having this issue, that's about what I needed to file off. If I need more, and I really want to use a particular motherboard, I could file into the joystick port as a last resort!

Reply 671 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
j^aws wrote:
shock__ wrote:

This would be a good compromise, as it shaves off a few millimetres. In most cases with motherboards having this issue, that's about what I needed to file off. If I need more, and I really want to use a particular motherboard, I could file into the joystick port as a last resort!

2.54mm to be precise 😀 Also if you check _NONE_ of the Gravis made cards does that.

[Z?]

Reply 672 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://i.imgur.com/2HyVZfc.jpg
I could offer that as a compromise tho, so the logo remains visible even with the SIMM installed.

We'll see ... that's something that can easily be fixed. Quite excited about the first prototype already and how well it works out.

[Z?]

Reply 673 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that would be great! Thanks for understanding 😀
And if it is on an unpopulated area, maybe it could be done in copper instead of silkscreen (like the other one)? Would be very much AWE64Gold-ish with two logos in copper on both sides of the card 😀 and without any definition of the acronym, btw - AWE doesn't give the meaning either.

Oh, and one more thing - while I totally agree with your arguments for omitting the country of design/manufacture, maybe we put the 2015 year somewhere? "Designed in 2015 by shock__", for instance.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 675 of 3172, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:
j^aws wrote:
shock__ wrote:

2.54mm to be precise 😀 Also if you check _NONE_ of the Gravis made cards does that.

As they say, every little bit helps! Thanks for sorting it. And I just checked a few of my GUSes, and they do have the same overhangs, but ARGUS doesn't have to be like other GUSes...

Regarding describing the acronym on the PCB: I quite like the idea of leaving it out, so that it can become a talking point by future generations - a mysterious element to the uninformed.

Reply 676 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a kind of backcronym anyways, since Gravis & UltraSound are trademarks.
I know it's kinda silly to worry about this in a small, non-commercial project - but hey, better safe than sorry, especially since GUS as an acronym is kinda common knowledge or the common callsign/nickname for those cards.

[Z?]

Reply 677 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just decided on the prototyping place, since I got the calculation for a full run (as I want to do the prototype & series run to be done at/from the same place). It will be "LeitOn GmbH" located here in Berlin, Germany. Only downside they have is that they have distributed manufacturing so the PCBs will be produced in China. While China doesn't mean bad quality by any means anymore these days, their enviromental policies are sometimes really slacky. I'll trust on LeitOn only partnering with plants that have proper enviromental policies in place.

Expect the asking price for the final batch to be 20€ - that includes some overhead in case someone decides to reduce the amount of cards they want to have delivered and so I won't have to pay the overhead for a large 2 number figure out of my pocket first and ask for folks to send money a second time.
Overhead will of course be refunded afterwards or donated as I mentioned a few posts ago.
The PCB specs include the following: Blue PCB, v-groving/beveling & hard plated gold contacts for the ISA connector, PCBs being checked for breaks in the signal lines at the factory.

And no - you don't need to send money yet, as production will start in 5 weeks from now _at best_.
So please don't 😀

[Z?]

Reply 678 of 3172, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Although the design issues will be covered when it's time for a production run, I've had some free time and tried to formulate my suggestions in more understandable way illustrated by the attached madskillz 😀 Please take it as some ideas for additional consideration as I don't want to seem a little bit too much insistent - just want the project to happen as perfect as it can both in its consumer features and appearance 😀
So, here we go...
1. Split the "Prototyping stuff" section, delete the ISA-header part and move -5V jumper description closer to the jumper itself.
2. Move the "Designed by 2015 by shock__" and "Contributions by..." section to the place where "Prototyping stuff" section used to be, aligning it with the the "Thanks to" section on the back side in terms of horizontal and vertical offset from the edges of the PCB.
3. Move the "Audio I/O headers" section to the place where "Designed..." section used to be.
4. Put "Sample ROM options" right under the footprint of the ROM itself - as there will be no DIP socket and the ROM will by all means be soldered, there is no use in describing the alternative resistor options when the chip is already there. If someone solders it out and finds a description, it'll be a good surprise for him 😀
5. Move the "RAM banks options" section to the place where the "Sample ROM options" and "Audio I/O headers" used to be.
6. Move the ARGUS logo on the front side to the place where the "RAM bank options" section used to be, aligning it with the other logo on the back side in terms of horizontal and vertical offset (marked X and Y on the scheme) from the edges of the PCB as well as bringing them to some similar size (if possible, of course - but it will look much more professional, I guess).
7. Make the ARGUS logo on the front side in copper instead of silkscreen like the other one on the back side. I don't know if we can also play with the silkscreen, I mean, for example, put the frame and the filling of the right section in white silkscreen and the letters in copper. What do others think?
8. Add year 2015 somewhere, e.g. "Designed in 2015 by shock__", possibly followed by "... to commemorate the XX Anniversary of InterWave" as the space that has been freed up allows to do so.
9. Another point - does your plant provides for any silkscreen colors other than white? If yes, then I'd definitely suggest using yellow for all silkscreen inscriptions - just look how cool it is on the Roland SCB-55 and VideoLogic video cards!

Attachments

• ARGUS design.jpg
    Filename
    ARGUS design.jpg
    File size
    776.01 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Illustration for the described points
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 679 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey kids, wanna buy some hardware pr0n 😁
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQwjjuAjmz8&feature=youtu.be

On the productive side: I've finally emailed Eye & I again ... I'll see what I can do.

[Z?]