VOGONS

First post, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!
Can anyone advise me in one thing?
I got myself an old rig for games, like pentium mmx 233, voodoo3 , awe32 ct3980. What i ask is this:
Should I upgrade it with a wavetable or should I try to get something like a gravis ultrasound pnp?
Any opinions are welcome 😀

Reply 1 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMHO you need a Roland GS synth on that machine before a GUS: get a gameport->midi cable and connect there a SC-55 . Instant groovy music in all GM/GS games out there.
Then you can add a GUS, a MT-32ish device , maybe a real mpu (or softmpu)... the sky is the limit 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 19, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have a yamaha mu100r somewhere. it connects to computer thru rs232 and also has midi. Woud this be nice? Do i connect the audio output of midi machine on input of soundcard? Or should i try to get a db50xg or sx60xg , etc?

Reply 3 of 19, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marmes wrote:

I also have a yamaha mu100r somewhere. it connects to computer thru rs232 and also has midi. Woud this be nice? Do i connect the audio output of midi machine on input of soundcard? Or should i try to get a db50xg or sx60xg , etc?

There is no substitute for an MPU-401 compatible MIDI interface for DOS games. That RS-232 interface won't cut it. Since you already have the AWE-32, just use the joystick MIDI port (with appropriate adapter which are easily obtained on ebay for cheap). I agree with Keropi... get an SC-55 family device next. Actual SC-55's or SC-55mkII's are commonplace on eBay and will give you LOTS of bang for the buck.

Reply 6 of 19, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Just beware of the hanging note bug. If your AWE32 doesn't have true OPL you might be better off buying a cheap AWE64 and replacing it.

Mine has an opl chip ct1747, is this the chip?

Reply 9 of 19, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marmes wrote:

I will try that soft mpu 😀 seen to be great stuff

Yep. That's why I recommend keeping the AWE32 instead of breaking the bank or your psyche trying to find a real MPU-401 interface. BJT has done the retro community an immeasurable favor by creating SoftMPU.

Reply 11 of 19, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have an MU-100r i think there's no point in getting more GM gear, unless you are a purist. You can still also use the MIDI IN with a gameport/midi cable like Keropi said. SoftMPU is not really needed unless you need intelligent MPU-401 to drive an MT-32 or CM-32L. For GM games MPU-401UART is enough.
If you get an MT-32 then yes, use SoftMPU. It's awesome!

Reply 12 of 19, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Marmes wrote:

So GUS is nonsense when we have something like roland or xg?

No. It is certainly not nonsense. Keep in mind that although GUS MIDI support might sound inferior against GM devices a GUS also sports PCM capabilities, far ahead of Sound Blasters.

Reply 13 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Marmes wrote:

So GUS is nonsense when we have something like roland or xg?

no it's not, it's just different.
Personally I don't even like how my MU80 sounds in GM/GS games, I always prefer the SC-55. It sounds to me that all music was fine-tuned for Roland synths, there are places where a yamaha synth sounds all over the place.
I would suggest going to youtube and hear some game recordings with a real SC-55 and compare with your MU100. If you don't care/notice the differences then you are all set 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

does it come with original psu? remote?
I'd say 70-80e is a fair price

Reply 16 of 19, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have various internal and external GM devices, but more often than not I find myself opting for humble old FM (OPL3 or an ESS clone). It's doesn't need additional interfaces / mixers / wall sockets, and it sounds just fine. On those rare occasions when I do wants me some MIDI then my favoured solution is an ESS Audiodrive (ES1688) + a DB50XG.

But I had lots of fun coming to that quite boring conclusion, so my advice is to try them all!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 18 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ if you get it at 80e then I suppose it's a good deal

Reply 19 of 19, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a primax altrasound when i was young, but never had a big comparison with other systems, I just remember to make fun of people with soundblaster 😐 But after hearing to roland yamaha xg , things got diferent.
@keropi, Thanks for the advice, i will try my luck 😀
@badmojo, maybe I need to make the sam path as you 😀
Thanks!