VOGONS

Show us your retro computer cases

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 213, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That very last Fliptop looks like a flip-top version of the Kingspao Model 35. I've had 3 PC's with those thus far (the non-Fliptop version)...

1992 Flight 386 SX (which I put a ZEOS 486 Motherboard into, the original "Creeping Net 1" or first PC I did a lot of hardware building/tinkering on in 2001-2011)
attachment.php?attachmentid=36912&d=1489135355

1994 CAT Computers 486 (Was my main 486 system 2007-2012)
attachment.php?attachmentid=8178&d=1331372130

The third was a Pentium 233 MMX system I built out for my mom in 2004. She used that thing for 10-12 years before replacing it with an HP. It may even still be at her house - I dunno. Had a 80GB HDD and 128MB of RAM, Running Windows 98 SE on a ATI Rage II Graphics card and a 17" KDS CRT.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 81 of 213, by zazuradia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i've read you like old computers, and since i've used the help on this forum to put my babies together, i might as well treat your eyes with these pics. I humbly present you my gaming room:
(This is the "retro" side of the room, so to speak. There's still a lot of work to do, but almost the 80%, at least, is done.)

This should be the main view. Some cheap Trust speakers, a cheap 10 button joystick, a regular 3 button Logitech mouse, a regular AT keyboard, a 4 button gamepad (despite of it's looks), and the crown jewels: What i consider one of the best CRT monitors ever made; a 17 inch AOC 7VLr. And one of the most robust mechanical (arguable) keyboards still working to this day; from 1991, an IBM Model M (Spanish ISO) bolt-modded (it's on the tray below the table, i promise. 🤣).

IMG_0166.JPG
Filename
IMG_0166.JPG
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The laptop is a Dell Latitude L400, model PP01S. A Pentium 3 700MHz, 256MB of RAM.

IMG_0168.JPG
Filename
IMG_0168.JPG
File size
1.09 MiB
Views
File license

Rescued from the trash on a rainy night (no dramatization, it actually happened), a Pentium 100, 16MB, and a Sound Blaster 16. It has Windows 98 SE in a 2GB Compact Flash but i'm planning on going full Ms-DOS on this system, but i had problems in the past, so i'll need some time. (I had to replace the disk reader because it wasn't working. I want to repair it because it has the super cool Creative logo in the tray plate.)

IMG_0172.JPG
Filename
IMG_0172.JPG
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license

On the other side of the table, this cool looking beefy punk housing a Pentium 4, 512MB of RAM and an ATI 9600 video card to run some of the most demanding games from the Windows 98 era. As you'll se later i don't need console emulators, but that joystick comes in a hell of a handy with the MAME32. (I was building it with a P3 motherboard but the AGP port was incompatible with the ATI 9600. I searched for a compatible board but they are quite expensive. I might replace the noisy CPU fan and stick with this one. I don't know.)

IMG_0173.JPG
Filename
IMG_0173.JPG
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license

And finally, and although i feel i'm flexing a little bit here, The Pentium 4 system is connected via S-Video to this massive 30 inch CRT tv (alongside these other systems i will not bother commenting on, since they're not computers, and to minimize the flex.)

IMG_0175.JPG
Filename
IMG_0175.JPG
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license

I hope you enjoyed the pics as i enjoyed others' works. Feel free to ask or DM anything, you're very welcome. As i said, i'm planning on changing some stuff, but i'm enjoying this room and every system on it, as it is something that i always wanted to build.

Reply 83 of 213, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
emosun wrote:

my collection of japanese cases from the 90s

Are those really from Japan? I think they look neat 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 84 of 213, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

2pycqnh.jpg

A beige ATX case that i found in the dumpster at work, i cleaned it up and put my Pentium 1 hardware in it and turned it into a retro DOS/Win95 machine

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 85 of 213, by Brickpad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Windows9566 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/2pycqnh.jpg […]
Show full quote

2pycqnh.jpg

A beige ATX case that i found in the dumpster at work, i cleaned it up and put my Pentium 1 hardware in it and turned it into a retro DOS/Win95 machine

I have the same exact case with a dual Pentium II 400MHz setup. Doesn't have the front USB ports as yours does. It's made by Enlight, model 72500. The only pain is having to pull the front bezel off to remove the side panel. 😕

You can still find it on NewEgg, but it's been long out-of-stock
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16811116009

Reply 87 of 213, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^--is there a blackout curtain that normally goes over your window? If not, it would be good to add one, to slow further yellowing of the plastic on the cases.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 88 of 213, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:

^--is there a blackout curtain that normally goes over your window? If not, it would be good to add one, to slow further yellowing of the plastic on the cases.

I put a cover in front of the window now.
I'm moving out in June and then I have a decent place to store them 😀

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 89 of 213, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These are mine.. I also have a few more Compaq/Dell OEMs at home, but these were conveniently sitting together in a storage cupboard, so I thought why not snap a photo for this thread?

Attachments

• Retro PCs 2019 01.JPG
    Filename
    Retro PCs 2019 01.JPG
    File size
    462.51 KiB
    Views
    File license

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 91 of 213, by jm8881

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my retro gaming station. I tried to emulate how we had our first computer setup. It's a HP Vectra VE 4/66. The only changes to it from how HP shipped it is I've replaced the HDD with a cf card and I had to replace the noisy fan inside the power supply.

Attachments

• vectrave.jpg
    Filename
    vectrave.jpg
    File size
    103.79 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 94 of 213, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I added this nice little AT tower to my collection recently - needed some restoration but came up pretty well. The power button jams if you don't hit it dead center but that just seems to be a design flaw, it's not worn at all.

P1040252_zps1lcdbrp0.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 95 of 213, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

dat deskpro doe

As Master Yoda would say, there is another..

Compaq-Deskpro-EN-SFF-WIP-01.jpg Compaq-Deskpro-EN-SFF-WIP-02.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 98 of 213, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

I added this nice little AT tower to my collection recently - needed some restoration but came up pretty well. The power button jams if you don't hit it dead center but that just seems to be a design flaw, it's not worn at all.

I wonder if you could soap it for smoother toggling. Also, functional turbo?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 99 of 213, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
badmojo wrote:

I wonder if you could soap it for smoother toggling. Also, functional turbo?

Yep possibly but I worry about any sort of lube collecting dust over time - the reset and turbo buttons work real nice but they don't have as far to travel. No biggie, I just have to man up and live with it.

Non functional turbo I'm afraid - the motherboard in that machine has a header, but it's slated for "future use" in the manual and does nothing. So the button and MHz display are totally gimmick here (as apposed to mostly gimmick in machines that it actually does something).

Life? Don't talk to me about life.