Show us your retro computer cases

Topic actions

Reply 121 of 213, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Pentium MMX support, functional turbo, best retro motherboard?

It only goes down to 50mhz but its handy when doing speed tricks. I would like to actually remove the DIP switch from the board and mount it to the front of the case somehow so i can change them without having to get inside of the case.

oeuvre wrote:

how loud is that fan?

It a Noiseblocker Black Silent 80 MM jobbie. Its very quiet, and rated at 18dbA.

Reply 122 of 213, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:
This is my most retro case and houses my Pentium MMX. Funtional Turbo button on the GA-586HX board :happy: Case is a bit flimsy […]
Show full quote

This is my most retro case and houses my Pentium MMX. Funtional Turbo button on the GA-586HX board 😀 Case is a bit flimsy but does the job.

VBHkBZsl.jpg

I have a case like that, only with green buttons. Flimsy is indeed correct, mine fell to pieces and I subsequently lost or broke a couple of the buttons etc. Mine too originally held a Pentium MMX build, before I switched/upgraded to a K6-2 build.

Reply 123 of 213, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bancho wrote:
This is my most retro case and houses my Pentium MMX. Funtional Turbo button on the GA-586HX board :happy: Case is a bit flimsy […]
Show full quote

This is my most retro case and houses my Pentium MMX. Funtional Turbo button on the GA-586HX board 😀 Case is a bit flimsy but does the job.

VBHkBZsl.jpg
lNUw3QHl.jpg

It looks like a relatively new AT case. Like others have mentioned perhaps, it's at the very end of the AT era.
Kinda odd that it was kinda flimsy. Usually AT cases are made of steel and quite sturdy.
There was a time when PC cases started getting cheapified a lot, thinner and thinner and cheaper. Some would easily bend or break.

But yours does look nice, even though it looks too newish to pass for a 486 rig, if you were to put one inside it 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 124 of 213, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most of my AT cases (typically Taiwanese no-names pumped out by the gazillions) were pretty flimsy. I've had to bend the bottom plate back into shape on a few of them. Some of them were twisted slightly, or the back panel was just a hair arched out, with the apex above the card slots. Once assembled, mobo tray installed, cards acting as mechanical struts, and the top cover placed back on -- then some of the deficiencies are less obvious. It's that era of cases that I frequently heard referred to as Chinese Death Metal. Fit and finish was usually poor. Things didn't line up quite right.

The early ATX cases that I ran into were a HUGE improvement, and just kept getting better with removable motherboard trays, modular bays, cards and drives lined up properly, etc. It's only fairly recently that I've noticed cases getting thinner and lighter (and thus flimsier, but of course... cheaper!) again.

Reply 125 of 213, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's my 286 case. I found it brand new NOS at a surplus electronics store for 5 USD. I particularly enjoy the compactness of the case, and the fact that it has the cutouts for the serial and parallel ports. Also, it even has a removable motherboard backing plate!

There's not many places for fans, so I installed one of those small flat fans that uses up a card slot. It basically just blows the hot air out a vented slot cover.

8aI6yEAl.jpg
VaPwDWHl.jpg
geItNVCl.jpg

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 126 of 213, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These are my cases.... I have a Pentium4 Socket 775 in the closet. Yet that is a stock HP machine and nothing special about that.

02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
370.37 KiB
Views
File comment
This contains my 5x86 machine.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
03.jpg
Filename
03.jpg
File size
343.82 KiB
Views
File comment
This contains my P3 Socket 370 machine.
File license
04.jpg
Filename
04.jpg
File size
338.47 KiB
Views
File comment
This contains my 486dx2-80-VLB machine
File license
05.jpg
Filename
05.jpg
File size
302.82 KiB
Views
File comment
This contains my Pentium-166 machine.
File license
06.jpg
Filename
06.jpg
File size
333.83 KiB
Views
File comment
This contains my 486dx33 machine.
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 127 of 213, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And then the final ones....

Unisys-01.jpg
Filename
Unisys-01.jpg
File size
64.97 KiB
Views
File comment
This is my Unisys PW/2 Series 300. I have every parts factory original, the original Cherry Keyboard, the original optical mouse, original EGA monitor and the complete manual with original BIOS setup disks on both 3.5 and 5.25 inch disks. (my parents are the original buyer and owner)
File license
01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
403.65 KiB
Views
File comment
These two, are empty cases. One from a 486 Unisys and then a generic AT case.
File license

Now... I will not post a picture of my Commodore64-C, Amiga600 and two Amiga500's. As well as pictures of my RaspberryPI and OrangePI cases. I think that is just too generic and everyone knows what those things look like.

Reply 129 of 213, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dkarguth wrote:

Here's my 286 case. I found it brand new NOS at a surplus electronics store for 5 USD. I particularly enjoy the compactness of the case, and the fact that it has the cutouts for the serial and parallel ports. Also, it even has a removable motherboard backing plate!

There's not many places for fans, so I installed one of those small flat fans that uses up a card slot. It basically just blows the hot air out a vented slot cover.

<snip>

It's beautiful! Looks like it's hard to work in.

I like this one I have, it's one of my favorites.

e1xHHvD.jpg

LsXSqHH.jpg

F2J5mh7.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 131 of 213, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

God I love those early 90's cases. And lord I hate those early 00's cases 🤣 No offense brostenen, but that case for your P3 socket 370 gives me the shivers - so many bad memories repairing PCs of that era in those ugly ass cases that were a mess to work in. They were not practical, ugly as sin, very plasticky and aged so badly. I wish some companies designed proper ATX cases that looked like early 90's cases - especially desktop cases. I'm still looking for a nice beige ATX desktop case with space for two 5.25 inch drives in the front.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 132 of 213, by n0m4d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Work in progress still looking for power switch And power supply

Attachments

Reply 134 of 213, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
dkarguth wrote:

Here's my 286 case.

That is a thing of beauty 😎

Yup.... I love it. Clean lines and yet not completely square. 😜

Reply 135 of 213, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red_avatar wrote:

God I love those early 90's cases. And lord I hate those early 00's cases 🤣 No offense brostenen, but that case for your P3 socket 370 gives me the shivers - so many bad memories repairing PCs of that era in those ugly ass cases that were a mess to work in. They were not practical, ugly as sin, very plasticky and aged so badly. I wish some companies designed proper ATX cases that looked like early 90's cases - especially desktop cases. I'm still looking for a nice beige ATX desktop case with space for two 5.25 inch drives in the front.

No offense taken. Yet looks can be decieving. The black case are actually made by A-Open or Gigabyte, and the plates are double as thick as my early 90's era AT cases. The front is not the prettiest thing, yet the case can hold full size expansion cards. And is AT compatible.

It's a early 00's modern looking case build in the right way, using two millimeters thick plates. Steel not aluminium.

EDIT:
It is an A-Open case.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Case-AOPEN-MIDI … P-/391965842437

Reply 136 of 213, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red_avatar wrote:

I built my Athlon64 in exactly the kind of case you mention:

Athlon64-3700-01.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 137 of 213, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
No offense taken. Yet looks can be decieving. The black case are actually made by A-Open or Gigabyte, and the plates are double […]
Show full quote

No offense taken. Yet looks can be decieving. The black case are actually made by A-Open or Gigabyte, and the plates are double as thick as my early 90's era AT cases. The front is not the prettiest thing, yet the case can hold full size expansion cards. And is AT compatible.

It's a early 00's modern looking case build in the right way, using two millimeters thick plates. Steel not aluminium.

EDIT:
It is an A-Open case.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Case-AOPEN-MIDI … P-/391965842437

Good to hear it's sturdy at least. But during that period, they made such horrible looking cases and a lot of them used silver or other colours where they sprayed the colour on black or white plastic and the coating would quickly rub off so all the edges were the wrong colour. You had the same problem with those typical Antec cases where the silver fronts had black edges after a while and it looked so nasty and beaten which is a shame because I actually liked those cases.

http://images.overclock.co.uk/product_images/ … g?1549989530527

My IBM Aptiva still looks almost new in comparison (and less dated ironically) despite it being 25 years old this year: (pic taken from someone else on this forum but mine looks identical including the mouse and keyboard)

http://www.computerstudio.us/wp-content/uploa … -complete-1.jpg

For the early 2000s, I always picked pretty straight cases without too fancy - they actually all aged rather well (at least to me) but since I had the habit of hand down my old PC to my brother, all the side panels got lost because he always took them off because nearly all his PCs died from overheating (having a PC 3 feet away from where you sleep and never cleaning the inside = bad).

EDIT: and here's a pic from my case from 2003 - called ELLG

front%20small.jpg

I still like the style.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 138 of 213, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
I built my Athlon64 in exactly the kind of case you mention: […]
Show full quote

I built my Athlon64 in exactly the kind of case you mention:

Athlon64-3700-01.jpg

Yeah that's the kind of case I love. I need to keep an eye out on eBay for someone selling something similar in Desktop format - I like stacking my PCs since it's a lot easier to swap cases and my three oldest ones are all desktops.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 139 of 213, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red_avatar wrote:

Good to hear it's sturdy at least. But during that period, they made such horrible looking cases and a lot of them used silver or other colours where they sprayed the colour on black or white plastic and the coating would quickly rub off so all the edges were the wrong colour. You had the same problem with those typical Antec cases where the silver fronts had black edges after a while and it looked so nasty and beaten which is a shame because I actually liked those cases.

I know. I was building computers for a living, from around October of 2003 to around April 2006. The company that I worked for, mostly used Codegen cases. The models 3307 and so on. They were absolutely crap, and as much as I hate piano black with glossy finish, I would rather have a Antec Sonata II case. It did not help eighter, that I had to build 12 to 15 computers each day in those Codegen cases. And do all the phone support single handed, answer all email support single handed untill lunch and finally it was demanded of me to repair at least two computers each day. Work time was 9am to 5pm. I kind of saw my share of cheap flimsy cases during that time.