VOGONS

Show us your retro computer cases

Topic actions

Reply 201 of 213, by Trekkie4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been a while since I've checked Vogons, guess I should stop by more often... 😀

Some of you may have seen this on another forum, but I'm actually in the process of rebuilding my old computer case, restoring all the original components (what's left of them) back into the original & period correct case from 1998. This process took me around 15 years ... give it or take it - the whole story began in 2006, but the actual search for replacement case started in 2007.

But rest assured, I'm not here to bore you with all the personal nostalgia 😉 What I'm actually hoping for is that someone around here may FINALLY recognize this case, brand & model. Because here's the thing, I have absolutely no idea who made it, and what's it called - I simply call it the "Adison Tower".
IMG-20201118-152014.jpg P-20201106-003136.jpg P-20201106-003155.jpg

Reply 202 of 213, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one I added to my collection only a few months back:
8Z4VN5Pl.jpg
0eNJVqBl.jpg
It's normally home to my IBM 5160 build, hence the fake stuck on IBM logo I attached. 🤣

If I can ever find another suitable AT case for the XT motherboard, I'll probably reuse this case for my Turbo XT clone instead and actually make proper use of the Turbo button. The Turbo button changes the display between 4 & 1 - haven't figured out how to make it do 4 & 10 to suit the Turbo XT haha.

Another AT case I own, please excuse the sorry looking state - it's an old pic before cleaning, as I couldn't find a more recent pic. The top of the case does still need repainting though, but the case is otherwise fully functional and I've owned it for about 22 years:
L0twpWvl.jpg

This case is currently home to my 286 12MHz build. It's had 386DX, Pentium & K6-2 builds in this case over the years and continues to serve me very well.

Reply 203 of 213, by NScaleTransitModels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DTK "TECH-1230", currently a 386DX-40 build: 20mb ram, Cirrus GD5429 1mb, Opti sound card. Originally had a socket 3 board, but wouldn't boot with a dead Dallas chip (any of yall who's had a Dallas chip soldered to the mobo... I feel your pain 😤)

20201208_135044.jpg
Filename
20201208_135044.jpg
File size
896.06 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Dell 486P/33, early 486DX-33 pizza box from 1991: 16mb ram, WD90C30-LR w/ 1mb upgrade and Sierra hi-color DAC. Still awaiting a sound card and SD-IDE adapter. Bought for parts and blew a tantalum off the bat, but everything still seems to work

20201208_134421.jpg
Filename
20201208_134421.jpg
File size
1.67 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Micron 486DX2-66 PCI, infamous Micronics M4PI motherboard that's horribly slow w/ a DX4 and won't take 5x86's. The good thing is that this is a standard AT case disguised as an OEM case, so I'll probably use it for a 5x86 build once I find a suitable motherboard

20201208_134458.jpg
Filename
20201208_134458.jpg
File size
1.13 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Builds:

• ECS FX-3000; 386DX-40@50; ET4000AX, ISA 1mb
  • Acer VI9; 486DLC-40; Mach32, VLB 2mb
  • Chicony CH-471A; CX486s-40; Mach32, VLB 2mb
  • Gateway 2000 P5-60; Pentium-60@66; S3 928, PCI 3mb
  • DTK PKM-0033S; AM5x86-133@160

Reply 204 of 213, by Cueball

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bancho wrote on 2019-01-28, 13:17:
This is my most retro case and houses my Pentium MMX. Funtional Turbo button on the GA-586HX board :happy: Case is a bit flimsy […]
Show full quote

This is my most retro case and houses my Pentium MMX. Funtional Turbo button on the GA-586HX board 😀 Case is a bit flimsy but does the job.

VBHkBZsl.jpg
lNUw3QHl.jpg

Hey. I used to have this exact case back in the 90s. Don't suppose you have any details on the case at all? Would love to get another one of these. Loved how the LED's were in the slots!

Reply 205 of 213, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My last one:

Attachments

• IMG_20210116_104815.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210116_104815.jpg
    File size
    534.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 206 of 213, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cueball wrote on 2021-01-29, 06:34:

Hey. I used to have this exact case back in the 90s. Don't suppose you have any details on the case at all? Would love to get another one of these. Loved how the LED's were in the slots!

I don't really have any details about who manufactured it unfortunately. I bought it off ebay as new in box. Its good case but a little flimsy. I have seen this style with different chassis types though and also in the amiga scene. Funnily enough I actually pulled the machine our of storage tonight to have a play with it!

JDhS6sPl.jpg

Reply 207 of 213, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote on 2021-01-29, 23:04:
I don't really have any details about who manufactured it unfortunately. I bought it off ebay as new in box. Its good case but a […]
Show full quote

I don't really have any details about who manufactured it unfortunately. I bought it off ebay as new in box. Its good case but a little flimsy. I have seen this style with different chassis types though and also in the amiga scene. Funnily enough I actually pulled the machine our of storage tonight to have a play with it!

JDhS6sPl.jpg

Yes, pretty popular case with a very similar design to Elbox cases for Amiga like you said.

https://external-preview.redd.it/D_3OlMYIuFfn … ec9f8b8dc972978

https://b.allegroimg.com/s1024/0c4811/a900c47 … 77344a60ed8a75b

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 208 of 213, by Corvair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
I don't really have any details about who manufactured it unfortunately. I bought it off ebay as new in box. Its good case but a […]
Show full quote

JDhS6sPl.jpg

Octek/Denco case?
My Octek/Denco clone. Typical cheap generic case with button switches on front panel.

Attachments

• Octek_clone.jpg
    Filename
    Octek_clone.jpg
    File size
    250.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 209 of 213, by Cueball

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

JDhS6sPl.jpg

Yes I do remember it being on the flimsy side. But I really loved it's style and how the LEDs were a glow across the strip. Mine started as my main pc until I moved to a large tower and this then became a second pc for the family and then was my server for a while. All back in the 90s.

Reply 210 of 213, by lady_quietbottom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

386_junkie, I know it's been 6 years, but what can you tell me about the case file.php?id=19525&mode=view on Show us your retro computer cases

I am trying to track one down and don't even have a name to go on.

Thanks

Reply 211 of 213, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lotta people seem to be hunting those, it's "that" case. They used to be pretty common though, usually it was "local" system integrators using them, not sure any of the bigger names used it. Seen them in the UK, seen them in Canada, ppl in US post about them, so do ppl in Germany. It was I think the first common minitower.

Edit: BTW that case also has a midi and full size brother, exact same styling.

Edit2: Here's an example from a local to British Columbia computer paper from 1995, which is probably about as late as they went, other "sexier" cases were out and things were needing more air... https://issuu.com/dougalder/docs/1995-04-10_c … r_player_bc-ocr page 15 Anovatron, the mighty Ano Business Class 486 DX2/80. I don't think Anovatron would be known much outside Richmond/ Vancouver, but in the towards the back of the national mags and in larger spots in the more local ones, you'll see dozens of them in the first half of the 90s. I was hoping to come across a case distributor that named them, but no luck so far.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 212 of 213, by AnimeFunTV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dkarguth wrote on 2019-02-11, 21:08:
Here's my 286 case. I found it brand new NOS at a surplus electronics store for 5 USD. I particularly enjoy the compactness of t […]
Show full quote

Here's my 286 case. I found it brand new NOS at a surplus electronics store for 5 USD. I particularly enjoy the compactness of the case, and the fact that it has the cutouts for the serial and parallel ports. Also, it even has a removable motherboard backing plate!

There's not many places for fans, so I installed one of those small flat fans that uses up a card slot. It basically just blows the hot air out a vented slot cover.

8aI6yEAl.jpg
VaPwDWHl.jpg
geItNVCl.jpg

YO! Do you know what the vender/model this case is?? This is exactly the case I had back in the late 90's and would love to find it again to build my old 486 DX4 computer again (I actually saved the origital CPU from that same computer)

Attachments

Reply 213 of 213, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About a year or so back the only system I picked up mostly just for the beige case goodness was this one.

2jtHaHcl.jpg

9Lkc0hGl.jpg

VXvF10ul.jpg

I didnt really even care about the hardware in the case it was all about the case with the hardware inside as a so so bonus. A beautiful beige case with 2 120mm fans in the front for actual airflow.