VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok so 98se doesn't include drivers for this device, I checked, and since the gravis website is no longer their i cant find drivers for this device, anyone have them? Driver guide only has half of the setup program for this thing. I'd ask Kensington since the appearantly own gravis, but what would be the use, I doubt they'd even know where to look 🤣.

Reply 1 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ok well nm I got it, appearanly the gravis experince drivers will install the grip even though its not an option during the install, very strange but its working fine

Reply 2 of 12, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Guys - resurrecting this one.

I just picked up the Multiport and (4) controllers (2 EA Sports and 2 standard gray) for like $10. I've been hunting for drivers with no luck. I did find a driver pack, specifically for GRiP (grip100a.zip), but that was asking for a disk 2 or additional files that weren't in the package, so couldn't complete the install. I then found this thread about Xperience having the GRiP drivers. I found and installed Xperience 4.5 and it appear to have them. They are not listed in the controller options in control panel (98SE) and otherwise no new hardware is detected with the Multiport and controllers connected. The Multiport lights up fine and switches from analog to digital mode fine too.

Does someone have the official drivers they'd be willing to host a link for? Else, @candle_86, did you ever get this working with Xperience? Which version?

Thanks!

Reply 4 of 12, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are the Grip gamepads compatible with any other DB9 gamepad standard, like Atari or Megadrive? My local gaming shop has a stack of them for cheap but no actual multitap. I was interested in picking them up because Gravis but not if I can't use them.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 7 of 12, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

Thanks so much!! I couldn't find 100b anywhere. Does this package install GRiP control center as well?

Reply 8 of 12, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any idea which games natively support the digital pads?

The light on my hub goes green when windows is booting, but when I enter what appears to be the DOS config utility, it gives errors relative to detecting it. I'm running Win 98SE, so maybe it needs Win 95 or maybe that util won't work in DOS mode?
It seems like the driver is working fine and the pass-thru side works fine as well. Just wondering which games support it directly so that I can test. I also tried GripKey and that wouldn't work for me either.

Reply 10 of 12, by NooNaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huh - mine does show up as a 2 axis / 6 button in game controllers as well and tests fine there, just isn't recognized in game. I only tested with one game (Moto Racer) so I'll try more ASAP. Are you running Win 98 as well? Did you install anything beyond 100a/b?

How about in a DOS install (if you have one)? I dual-boot between 98SE and DOS 6.22.

Thanks again!

Reply 11 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

no dos install, I used it to play emulators for the Sega Genesis, Ninetendo, and Super Ninetendo, no issues

Reply 12 of 12, by synacktic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a GamePad Pro that supports GrIP without the multiport. I was able to use the GrIP drivers from Vogons to configure the controllers and emulate key presses in Windows. I was then able to save those mappings and use the gkload program/tsr in DOS to load those mappings and use them in a pure DOS environment. Pretty slick. While there is not a lot of game support for the GrIP system in DOS, this allows one to use it on pretty much any game. The only caveat is that you will probably need to do the initial control mapping on a Windows machine and then copy the map to your DOS machine. The later software from the Gravis Xperience seems to do away with the DOS export / load functionality, so don't expect it's totally 90s control panel or Keyset Manager to be helpful for DOS. You need GrIPKey 2.