Reply 3340 of 4606, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The EIM bagged computer looks to be a IBM 8580-311
A high end 386 so fairly desirable, fact that its IBM even more so

The Commodore 8250LP
Not really my area so no idea how desirable this one is but plenty of people are into the Commodore scene and it looks to be in real good shape.

No idea what that computer with the amazing looking CRT is, terminal of some sort? that Dell TFT screen on the right looks to be the same/similar to what I'm using now. ok screens but not worth more then a few dollars.

Compaq Presario 7900
looks to be a Socket 7 PC? Socket 7 is somewhat desirable OEM systems aren't This may sell or maybe not.

HP Kayak XU
Duel Slot 1, desirable to a subset of the retro computing scene.

All look to be in good shape and are of interest to the right people problem is a s BitWangler alluded to, if your looking to sell these shipping costs are whats going to kill you. It would be a shame but you could try parting them out but not much demand for OEM parts I doubt that is even worth it.

Reply 3341 of 4606, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2021-11-26, 10:00:
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-11-26, 02:50:
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2021-11-17, 16:18:

Yesterday I found this beauty on the street.
I've never encountered a Socket A board with an ISA slot outside of the Internet.

I was convinced that there were no Socket A boards with ISA slots. I'd love to know if DMA works. There is probably no -5V though but this is rarely needed. But with only one slot, you won't be able to use something pile an ISA Voltage Blaster to get it.

They exist but only for KT133/A and earlier I think. I have one Slot-A and one Socket-A with ISA slots. DMA works 100% fine.

If there are KT266/KM266 boards with ISA slot, I have yet to see any.

There is also the Biostar M7MIA. It is a weird combo of AMD and Via chipset AND it also supports DDR. I have one but haven't built a system with it yet.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3342 of 4606, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-11-26, 14:35:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-11-26, 10:00:
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-11-26, 02:50:

I was convinced that there were no Socket A boards with ISA slots. I'd love to know if DMA works. There is probably no -5V though but this is rarely needed. But with only one slot, you won't be able to use something pile an ISA Voltage Blaster to get it.

They exist but only for KT133/A and earlier I think. I have one Slot-A and one Socket-A with ISA slots. DMA works 100% fine.

If there are KT266/KM266 boards with ISA slot, I have yet to see any.

There is also the Biostar M7MIA. It is a weird combo of AMD and Via chipset AND it also supports DDR. I have one but haven't built a system with it yet.

Is that an AMD760 motherboard? I never heard of it. I just googled it and could not even find much reference to it. I'll keep an eye out for it, the northbridge fan on a Socket 370-like motherboard is always a brow raiser for me anyway. 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3343 of 4606, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote on 2021-11-25, 23:15:

Welcome to the forums!
You should have posted this in the General Hardware section instead, some cool machines you got there.

Seconded. This thread should be merged under I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Reply 3344 of 4606, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its all worthless.

That said, I'll PM you my address so I can dispose of all that hardware for you. Because I'm such a nice guy. ^.^

It's Schrodinger's antique PC haul, each system worth hundreds until you actually try to sell them.

its not so much the price of the hardware, its the cost of SHIPPING. It would be $100 eash EASY for that model 80 and kayak. That said, if you dont want either of those machines, let me know.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3345 of 4606, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dormcat wrote on 2021-11-26, 18:49:
lolo799 wrote on 2021-11-25, 23:15:

Welcome to the forums!
You should have posted this in the General Hardware section instead, some cool machines you got there.

Seconded. This thread should be merged under I recently found this hardware, AKA the Dumpster find thread.

Done and done. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3346 of 4606, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2021-11-25, 11:07:

streets of gold you have, finding all this stuff! 😀

More like streets of garbage.
You have to bring stuff which doesn't fit into the bins to the recycling yard yourself. Or pay the county to get them. My parents live in an suburban area where people actually pay for it. But here people just toss their broken TVs and furniture onto the streets. I also found a huge ass curved screen, but the display is broken. Probably gonna sell the logic board + power supply on Ebay and bring the screen to the recycling yard. Have a few crappy cases in my basement, which need to be brought to the recycling yard anyway.

is Aldi worried that everyone will just hang around the back until things are nearly out of date instead of buying as normal?

Yes, that's the main reason.
Aldi is the worst while Lidl is very exemplary. I used to be part of this scene 10 years ago. Never found anything good in the Lidl bins. Not even the food banks would want the stuff that's in there. But Aldi is disgusting. If a bottle of beer from a sixpack breaks, they throw away the whole pack. These bottles have "Not for individual sale" printed on them. Other stores just sell the sixfivepack for 66% or even 50%.

I can understand that it costs more to organise nearly out of date stuff for food banks but it is also cheap advertising if people know about it

The thing is: They would get a tax refund, if they donate it.
But the business department came to the conclusion that they make a bit more profit, if they pay to get rid of the stuff and force people to buy the expensive stuff.
Absolutely disgusting. Especially in the current times. I no longer buy at Aldis because of their disgusting policies.

i wonder also about dumpster diving as crime but i think it's either considered state property or a risk with identity theft or avoidance of liability if you hurt yourself, or a big mix of it all

Everything that gets thrown into the bins is property of the garbage collection (which is owned by the county).
Possible identity theft is one of the reasons why this law still exists.

Reply 3347 of 4606, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Around 2 weeks ago, I finally got out of the army. I'm getting fully discharged in ~12 days (about time!).
Anyway, I got home and my dad tells me "Hey, there's an old union office that's clearing out all their stuff and I'm going there to help them, do you want to come?". Of course, knowing what I could find there, I happily obliged. After all, the last time I did something like that, I returned home with a complete, fully working Pentium MMX system with an ALS100, a Compaq P4 with SDRAM, and a Socket A PC with an SBLive! and a universal AGP 4X slot (sadly that board doesn't work even after recapping with decent Nichicon caps), so I knew it would be worth it.
Anyway, I found old hardware alright, just not at all what I thought it would be:

A freaking wind-up wall clock!

IMG_20211119_204425.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211119_204425.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Welp, you don't see that everyday, especially a working one! Yep, I wound it, and it actually works well. The aesthetic is strong with this one, and regulating a pendulum clock is surprisingly easy. As for setting the time; you literally just push the minute hand until it shows the correct time.

An old portable radio

1638658353285.jpg
Filename
1638658353285.jpg
File size
1.49 MiB
Views
File license

Takes typical 9v batteries, receives MW/SW, no FM sadly. I think it's a Sony, but I'm not certain.

An old Casio 8U calculator

1638658353269.jpg
Filename
1638658353269.jpg
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File license

At this point, why not? It's the closest thing I got to computer hardware that day, might as well. It takes 5 AA batteries and it seems to work, though I got some weird results when I tested it, but it somehow fixed itself.

Anyway, I found nothing else of interest there, other than the fact those weirdos operated until ~2012 without a computer. Seriously, every single file they had was on paper. The clutter easily put hoarders to shame

Reply 3348 of 4606, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
soggi wrote on 2021-11-25, 10:41:
original_meusli wrote on 2021-11-23, 13:24:

We get refurbished ones bought for work if its not important data, usually the 300GB ones are quite cheap and last a lifetime due to them being enterprise level. Anything over that gets expensive quick.

We have all these HDDs at work within special e-waste (a key is needed to access the room [I know sb. with a key and had a view]), but I have to ask for advanced permission to take them. I saw a original HP 900 GB SAS HDD f.e. - this would be great. I should write an e-mail to the CEO...

Recently I had the chance to directly speak to the CEO, after our conversation (about my future job) I asked him about the HDDs from the e-waste. Result: There's no way to get a hand on the HDDs. Dozens of HDDs (up to the above mentioned original HP 900 GB SAS HDDs) will be destroyed for sure, because this is the directive for the whole corporation. WTF why? This is idiotic, just overwrite them once (or twice or as much as they want), but don't throw them away! I can't understand this ancient attitude.

Head -> desk, head -> desk, head -> desk, ...

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 3349 of 4606, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soggi wrote on 2021-12-05, 02:18:
Recently I had the chance to directly speak to the CEO, after our conversation (about my future job) I asked him about the HDDs […]
Show full quote
original_meusli wrote on 2021-11-23, 13:24:

We get refurbished ones bought for work if its not important data, usually the 300GB ones are quite cheap and last a lifetime due to them being enterprise level. Anything over that gets expensive quick.

We have all these HDDs at work within special e-waste (a key is needed to access the room [I know sb. with a key and had a view]), but I have to ask for advanced permission to take them. I saw a original HP 900 GB SAS HDD f.e. - this would be great. I should write an e-mail to the CEO...

Recently I had the chance to directly speak to the CEO, after our conversation (about my future job) I asked him about the HDDs from the e-waste. Result: There's no way to get a hand on the HDDs. Dozens of HDDs (up to the above mentioned original HP 900 GB SAS HDDs) will be destroyed for sure, because this is the directive for the whole corporation. WTF why? This is idiotic, just overwrite them once (or twice or as much as they want), but don't throw them away! I can't understand this ancient attitude.

kind regards
soggi

Very similar to what is happening here on west coast US in the shops and thrift stores. All old HD must be destroyed, not just erased and sold. It is part of the "green" movement here though destroying and trying to recycle the bits causes more pollution than just just wiping and re-selling the parts but they do not see it that way. Once in a while one of the thrift stores gets lazy and actually sells an older HD but it is getting rare.
Am all for saving the planet when it makes sense but currently they are trying to force all electric cars..unfortunately the power grid here cannot sustain all that conversion (why ? because we cannot build more Hydro or nuclear. Wind and sun only can add but cannot replace a 100% source)... ok rant over 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3350 of 4606, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2021-12-05, 03:24:
Recently I had the chance to directly speak to the CEO, after our conversation (about my future job) I asked him about the HDDs […]
Show full quote

kind regards
soggi

Very similar to what is happening here on west coast US in the shops and thrift stores. All old HD must be destroyed, not just erased and sold. It is part of the "green" movement here though destroying and trying to recycle the bits causes more pollution than just just wiping and re-selling the parts but they do not see it that way. Once in a while one of the thrift stores gets lazy and actually sells an older HD but it is getting rare.
Am all for saving the planet when it makes sense but currently they are trying to force all electric cars..unfortunately the power grid here cannot sustain all that conversion (why ? because we cannot build more Hydro or nuclear. Wind and sun only can add but cannot replace a 100% source)... ok rant over 😀

Simple: those policy makers (regardless of scale: from nationwide lawmakers to the boss of a small company) value their "personal privacies" over the environment of the Earth.

In the meantime they might leave their personal accounts to their secretaries, assistants, or subordinates. 🙄

Reply 3351 of 4606, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TechieDude wrote on 2021-12-04, 23:56:

Anyway, I found nothing else of interest there, other than the fact those weirdos operated until ~2012 without a computer. Seriously, every single file they had was on paper. The clutter easily put hoarders to shame

Gosh, is that one of those machine that operate with paper rolls?
My dad used one of these when I was a little kid. In 1992 his employer bought PCs and send my dad and his colleagues to a training course, to improve their productivity. For a short while he did still use the calculator when working from home, but quickly bought a 486, because it was so much more convenient.
I can't believe they operated like this for 20 more years.

dormcat wrote on 2021-12-05, 03:28:

Simple: those policy makers (regardless of scale: from nationwide lawmakers to the boss of a small company) value their "personal privacies" over the environment of the Earth.

Yeah, if someone entrusts the company to destroy the HDDs, they can't just resell it.
It's really stupid. Just overwrite the HDDs 3 times and donate the machines.
It's getting really hard to get your hands on old HDDs. Whenever I get an old machine from Kleinanzeigen (Craigslist in Krautland), it's usually without an HDD. "I don't know what on it, so I gotta keep it." -.-

By the end of this month Krautland will shut down 3 of the remaining 6 nuclear power plants. The last 3 will be shut down by the end of 2022. Now our new government plans to shut down all the coal power plants by the end of 2030. This is not gonna work. They will delay it forever.
Our Green party is so goddamn stupid. Shuting down the nuclear power plants and meanwhile more and more coal plants are build. They should have done the reverse: Shut down the coal plants and modernize the nuclear plants. "But mimimimi, nuclear waste, mimimi!"
Simple solution that can be done with todays technology: I gigantic railgun. Just shoot the crap into space and we can use nuclear power until we run out of uranium. By the time it reaches another solar system, the waste has already lost its radioactivity. So no need to worry about poor aliens who might inherit it.

Reply 3352 of 4606, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So for the esoteric "Maybe someone could, if all planets are in a row..." reason HDDs get distroyed...

I also had it the other (stupid) way...bought HDDs on ebay many years ago, many weren't erased, some could be recovered (files just have been deleted on windows). What's the problem with overwriting the whole disk, don't get it!?

OT:

We will see, if it works w/o nuclear and coal power plants. Nuclear energy might be a solid way, but it is used by humans and humans are lazy idiots, make mistakes and want to make extra profit...so in conclusion this technology isn't really safe. Remember the "Asse II" - they knew it better, but just throw in the barrels filled with nuclear waste. And this is just one place in the world with radioactive pollution.

BTW sending our nuclear waste to the space is definitely not a good idea. First it is extremely expensive, second if there happens an accident you'll have a big problem, third there is an international agreement which forbids the disposal in space. See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_was … #Space_disposal.

Just my 2 cents regarding this off-topic.

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

Reply 3353 of 4606, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Secure wipe a typical 500, even 1TB enterprise hard drive using DBAN using DOD standard wipe takes all day even a day to finish.

Hence they get ground up.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3354 of 4606, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2021-12-05, 08:07:

Gosh, is that one of those machine that operate with paper rolls?
My dad used one of these when I was a little kid. In 1992 his employer bought PCs and send my dad and his colleagues to a training course, to improve their productivity. For a short while he did still use the calculator when working from home, but quickly bought a 486, because it was so much more convenient.
I can't believe they operated like this for 20 more years.

They also had 2 Photocopiers as well as a mechanical copier (!). Honestly, I'm surprised I didn't find a typewriter in there, considering how ancient everything was.

Reply 3355 of 4606, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Overwriting once with random data is enough to make it impossible to restore the previous data, especially for normal users.

kind regards
soggi

Reply 3356 of 4606, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked these two up off a guy Im working with setting up the network at a new hospital.

The one shown all fixed up is a Moondog Computers branded 486 with an AMD DX4-100, cirrus vlb video, vlb multi i/o with dual IDE, and a PC Chips M912 motherboard (with what appears to be real working Cache).

The other is a super socket 7 I have not dug into or fully cleaned up yet. The 486 boots and runs....has ethetnet and a SpundBlaster in it now that I added as well as a SATA HDD. (160 GB), while the Pentium has not been powered on yet.

Also pulled some 4 meg 30 pin simms to try in my 286...hehehe.

Attachments

• 20211210_201922.jpg
    Filename
    20211210_201922.jpg
    File size
    1.13 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Moondog Systems 486 fixed up
    File license
    Public domain
  • 20211210_202530.jpg
    Filename
    20211210_202530.jpg
    File size
    975.26 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Socket 7 system
    File license
    Public domain

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 3357 of 4606, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Socket 7 machine might have an L&C/Deer PSU so I'd take caution trying to power it up.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 3358 of 4606, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Missing foot and a door, but still 15kHz, Analog/TTL RGB 80s NEC multisync monitor is a cool find 😁

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 3359 of 4606, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I salvaged a Dell computer yesterday but I forgot to take photos and it's in a literal dumpster right now. The case is proprietary and I don't know if the PSU is standard ATX. The motherboard is definitely custom.

It also has a couple of bulging caps and omg why do I NEVER had the right values for these things? I literally just ordered a ton of extra stock recently but NOT THIS ONE (3300uF 4V).

It's probably low ESR. I wonder if a regular 3300uF 16V will work...