VOGONS

Reply 4000 of 4609, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2022-12-27, 03:29:

Anybody else noticed this thread moves slower than years prior?

I feel like dumpster finds in general, much less of the age that this forum covers, are getting more rare. Illegal in alot of states to put this stuff on the curb, recyclers are less and less willing to let you buy from them due to liability and legal bs. Coworkers and acquaintances are more likely to hock them on eBay now that it seems scalping has entered the general mindspace, etc.

Kind of sad really.

Yes, it is definitely less common to find things, mostly because so much time has passed now. As time goes on, more and more people who were into computers are going through different phases of their life and have moved this stuff on already, have died or have left it behind where it ends up getting scrapped or resold. I have actually never been able to get anything from a recycler in my area except for one contact I have (who is no longer in that business) who could get me newer systems from a business. I live in a very very sparsely populated part of the US and have managed to get several lots from guys who are retired\retiring and just want to be rid of the stuff quickly. Often times these guys were into tech when being "into tech" meant that you had a great job, so these guys generally don't care if they get any money from this stuff because it's a drop in the bucket to them compared to the hassle of dealing with buyers.

I do agree that all the attention retro-computing has garnered has meant that more people are aware of their value... though I do not agree that there is anything wrong with people selling the stuff for what someone will pay. Some people horde stuff they can get for cheap or free. Some people impulsively buy whatever is featured in the latest techtuber "wow, look, old stuff is neat!" video regardless of the price. Some people seek out specific items for nostalgia or collection purposes. Some people find old computer equipment that they know nothing about and either choose to do their research to see what it might sell for, or they choose to just destroy it, sell it as scrap or sell it cheap because they can't be bothered to expend any effort on it. Still others actually know about this stuff and are willing to expend time and effort finding components, repairing them, testing them and often time warrantying them to some degree. I do think it's a very lame that organizations like Goodwill accept donations while giving donors the impression that these items go back to their community... all the while having the good stuff packed onto a truck and sold on ebay... but whatever, it's been going on so long that people should know about this by now.

Anyway, this is just how it goes. Time passes, things change. No one is guaranteed the ability to spend almost nothing to get weird old items that have been meticulously stored for decades. Those opportunities get more and more limited as these items make it into the hands of people who want them (or scrap them). It's like this for cars, toys, glassware, tools... this happens to basically everything and the internet has just accelerated it.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4001 of 4609, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anything with a storage device in it these days is a potential lawsuit waiting to happen if a company sells it without erasing it and keeping the records of the erasure for several months.
It's insane that some companies do one of those DOD erase profiles on a hard drive to ensure that no data is present, when the built in drive erase is good enough and takes way less time.

I've been lucky in still finding some hardware, though nothing really special, an IBM 6x86MX PR300 was one of my latests finds.
It's slim pickings these days.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4002 of 4609, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2022-12-27, 16:05:
Anything with a storage device in it these days is a potential lawsuit waiting to happen if a company sells it without erasing i […]
Show full quote

Anything with a storage device in it these days is a potential lawsuit waiting to happen if a company sells it without erasing it and keeping the records of the erasure for several months.
It's insane that some companies do one of those DOD erase profiles on a hard drive to ensure that no data is present, when the built in drive erase is good enough and takes way less time.

I've been lucky in still finding some hardware, though nothing really special, an IBM 6x86MX PR300 was one of my latests finds.

Any computer being resold at our recycling facilities in my city, are sold without hard drive, for that particular reason ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 4003 of 4609, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-12-27, 21:38:
weedeewee wrote on 2022-12-27, 16:05:
Anything with a storage device in it these days is a potential lawsuit waiting to happen if a company sells it without erasing i […]
Show full quote

Any computer being resold at our recycling facilities in my city, are sold without hard drive, for that particular reason ...

The local recycler says their contract with the county explicitly says they cannot resell any of it in the area.

Interestingly, I found a TV I dropped off there at a thrift store 90 miles away. So some of it IS escaping the recycling chain somewhere. I've heard from one person the owner pulls certain stuff and sends it back to his megahub by the pallet to be sold on eBay though I've seen no proof of that (and if its true, they have no idea wtf they are doing. Or are only selling $$$ items like Apple IIs and shit and not just $ items like old x86 PCs).

Remember, its not unethical to steal from a recycler or recycling bin. In fact, its good for the enviroment. Hug a tree: steal a PC

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 4004 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2022-12-28, 02:09:

Hug a tree: steal a PC

🤣

In all seriousness though, I have had certain recyclers flat out refuse me and others welcome me with open arms. All depends where you live. I would check with various recyclers within 50 miles of me and get very different answers on what they would allow. Good to call around.

Reply 4005 of 4609, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found some nice cases:

Photo Dec 31 2022, 10 47 33 AM.jpg
Filename
Photo Dec 31 2022, 10 47 33 AM.jpg
File size
699.09 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Both had CPU fans that had seized with lint and one had a dead power supply.

I5 3550 CPUs & GT250 video

Reply 4006 of 4609, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found this little motherboard last week.
Seems to have suffered some damage.
Do you think it will be fixable ?
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/soyo-sy-5ehm

Spoiler

just kidding, This will be only for parts

Attachments

• DSC_0859b.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_0859b.jpg
    File size
    1.88 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    broken-soyo sy-5ehm mainboard.
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Do not ask Why !

Reply 4007 of 4609, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was such a nice board. It just hurts to see it like that.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 4008 of 4609, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2023-01-01, 15:59:
Found this little motherboard last week. Seems to have suffered some damage. Do you think it will be fixable ? https://theretro […]
Show full quote

Spoiler

I found a picture of the board’s previous owner:

latest?cb=20120128192952

Reply 4009 of 4609, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Found this little motherboard last week. Seems to have suffered some damage. Do you think it will be fixable ? https://theretro […]
Show full quote

Spoiler

If nothing else, apart VRM, is damaged, you could still make it run, just source appropriate voltages for the CPU 😁

Reply 4010 of 4609, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SSTV2 wrote on 2023-01-01, 17:27:
Show full quote

Spoiler

If nothing else, apart VRM, is damaged, you could still make it run, just source appropriate voltages for the CPU 😁

You know what, when you're right, you're right. I will give it a try, though I'll also have to replace some almost blown capacitors. 😀
edit: and verify the cache chip is still attached properly, replace the battery, check for shorts, etc.... , figure out what the jumperblock right behind the isa slot is for...
I guess it'll be something fun to try .

Do not ask Why !

Reply 4011 of 4609, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2023-01-01, 18:38:
You know what, when you're right, you're right. I will give it a try, though I'll also have to replace some almost blown capacit […]
Show full quote
SSTV2 wrote on 2023-01-01, 17:27:
Show full quote

Spoiler

You know what, when you're right, you're right. I will give it a try, though I'll also have to replace some almost blown capacitors. 😀
edit: and verify the cache chip is still attached properly, replace the battery, check for shorts, etc.... , figure out what the jumperblock right behind the isa slot is for...
I guess it'll be something fun to try .

Holy cow... I'm so glad I saw your "spoiler" note before posting. 🤣

I don't think I'd attempt repairs of that level on anything unless it was worth thousands in working order but worth nothing as parts.

That is a very nice board, so it's a shame that happened to it (previous owner was Cookie Monster for sure)... but it's not nearly rare or valuable enough to try to fix such hopelessly severe damage. 😮

Definitely a good candidate for a parts board though!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4012 of 4609, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The local recycler says their contract with the county explicitly says they cannot resell any of it in the area.

Interestingly, I found a TV I dropped off there at a thrift store 90 miles away. So some of it IS escaping the recycling chain somewhere. I've heard from one person the owner pulls certain stuff and sends it back to his megahub by the pallet to be sold on eBay though I've seen no proof of that (and if its true, they have no idea wtf they are doing. Or are only selling $$$ items like Apple IIs and shit and not just $ items like old x86 PCs).

Remember, its not unethical to steal from a recycler or recycling bin. In fact, its good for the enviroment. Hug a tree: steal a PC

I work with a couple recyclers and some other... sources and acquire a lot of gear in those ways. At this point I've amassed an inventory / hoard of probably close to a thousand systems which were on their way to landfill or China to be shredded. No guilt whatsoever.

Reply 4013 of 4609, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
libby wrote on 2023-01-02, 08:42:

....... At this point I've amassed an inventory / hoard of probably close to a thousand systems which were on their way to landfill or China to be shredded. No guilt whatsoever.

Pictures please !!!? 😲😅
(envisioning a mountain of computer cases rivalling the lost Ark in ComputerReset https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ZZkZk9QRk....)

Reply 4014 of 4609, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-12-10, 00:20:

Curbside find: a Dell Vostro 420. A Q8300 quad core, three gigs of DDR2 6400, and a dead hard drive. I blew out the dust and stuck a spare SSD and a GTS 250 in it and it works fine. An added "Bonus" - the REO Speedwagon greatest hits CD in the drive. Sadly, I was never really a fan, though they were definitely a very popular band when I was a teen.

Update on this: I found the issue that likely made someone give up on this thing; it would sometimes not power on. If you kept hitting the power on button, or unplugged it and plugged it back in, it would eventually turn on and work just fine for hours, then possibly give you the same problem again next time you tried to turn it on. I swapped the power supply and even before I finished I knew that was the problem since I spotted a bulging capacitor in the power supply by looking through the grill. The new power supply worked fine and after I replaced the visibly failing cap with one that was "close enough" (10 volt 1500 MF with a 10 volt 1000 MF) it hasn't had the issue again. I also had to give the DVDROM's belt a scrub with a Scotchbrite pad so that it would close.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4015 of 4609, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bestemor wrote on 2023-01-02, 20:22:

Pictures please !!!? 😲😅
(envisioning a mountain of computer cases rivalling the lost Ark in ComputerReset https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ZZkZk9QRk....)

Here's some of it in the storage garage.

Fh9pTLcWQAAz5mG.jpg
Filename
Fh9pTLcWQAAz5mG.jpg
File size
797.98 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Fh9pFvqXwAEV80c.jpg
Filename
Fh9pFvqXwAEV80c.jpg
File size
786.27 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Fh9o_VTWYAI8LIK.jpg
Filename
Fh9o_VTWYAI8LIK.jpg
File size
760.57 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Fh9o5Z6XgAMpdFK.jpg
Filename
Fh9o5Z6XgAMpdFK.jpg
File size
719.64 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4016 of 4609, by Mandrew

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-12-27, 15:57:

Some people horde stuff they can get for cheap or free.

True for most hobbies, compulsive hoarding disorder goes hand in hand with so called collectors, just like addiction to auctions or the need for instant gratification via impulse purchases. The number of people who actually do something with the hardware must be pretty low.

Reply 4017 of 4609, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
libby wrote on 2023-01-05, 07:56:

Pictures please !!!? 😲😅

you could build a storage garage out of PCs! 😀

Reply 4018 of 4609, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mandrew wrote on 2023-01-05, 09:24:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-12-27, 15:57:

Some people horde stuff they can get for cheap or free.

True for most hobbies, compulsive hoarding disorder goes hand in hand with so called collectors, just like addiction to auctions or the need for instant gratification via impulse purchases. The number of people who actually do something with the hardware must be pretty low.

yes, there is no firm line between the two, more a murky region

a good way to define 'hoarder' in my view is where the person's life (or those nearby) begins to suffer due to their collections

Reply 4019 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
libby wrote on 2023-01-05, 07:56:

Pictures please !!!? 😲😅

Fh9pTLcWQAAz5mG.jpgFh9pFvqXwAEV80c.jpgFh9o_VTWYAI8LIK.jpgFh9o5Z6XgAMpdFK.jpg

May I ask what that keyboard is?
And I mean the big piano-like one 😜

About a year ago I actually found one on the streets. When I saw it, it was a nobrainer and it ended up on my shoulder as I carried it home.
It still works, but doesn't come with the adapter but I could test it using 6 of the very large batteries.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!