VOGONS

Reply 780 of 4609, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Saved this oddity from it's demise. It was from a computer at works that was being thrown out.

It's an Athlon XP 1700 but with a different socket. CPU and socket are from the same size of a intel pentium 4 sk478:

IMG_20170228_192217_zpsecox2sim.jpg
(it's the one in the middle, the others are only for size reference)

IMG_20170228_193355_zpsbevvldyo.jpg
(cpu upclose)

IMG_20170228_192136_zpsrrsgbipy.jpg
IMG_20170228_194423_zpsypytoo9h.jpg
(motherboard and it's incredibly loud cooler that runs it's fan at 5000+ rpm)

Don't really know much about this AMD socket, maybe its some form of a mobile cpu socket...but on a desktop motherboard?
Need to do some research.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 782 of 4609, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah already did my research 😜

Seems that this board could be somewhat rare for what it is.

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 783 of 4609, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I knew about those mobile Pentium 3 desktop boards, but never about this one. And it has the P4 connector as well, seems like you got keeper 😀

Think you can do something about the loud CPU fan? If the CPU could stay cool enough with the CPU fan running slower and if the board refuses to POST with the fan attached to a 7v adapter (and thus not connected to the motherboard), you could fool the motherboard into thinking the CPU fan is attached by attaching a slower moving case fan to the motherboard's CPU connector instead 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 784 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The socket is called Socket 563, is was only used in some Athlon XP-Ms (mainly low voltage models), your Athlon XP-M model is AXMS1700GXS3C: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Mobile%2 … S1700GXS3C.html

acording to CPU world, the CPU is rated at 25 watt TDP, 1.25 volts and based on the Thoroughbred core, about the mobherboard, it seems to be made by PCChips acording to the model number and uses the SiS 741GX chipset which is kinda odd since is a desktop chipset with an ultra low power Athlon XP-M. Does it work? and what are it's BIOS settings and overclocking features? i know Socket A Athlon XP-Ms are multiplier unlocked, but idk about the Socket 563 ones

You can report about this Athlon XP-M find on the AMD K7 thread if you want

The K7 thread. CPUs, motherboards, performance and overclocking.

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 785 of 4609, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could look into mounting a Zalman cnps series cooler using the existing mounts if they are not too far apart or too close to each other, nice find and such finds are rare.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 786 of 4609, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picking up a box of random video cards and parts this week. Should be a fun surprise!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 787 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since I don't work there anymore they can't fire me. I worked at staples and was able to rescue a few things while I was there, but the amount of stuff that I couldn't got to me and was one of the reasons I left. Examples: Complete B&W G3 tower and CRT system, Dell Dimension 4200 + P990 w/ a couple socket 7 optiplexes, complete performa system, and all sorts of other equipment. I would recommend any member of this forum who wants to keep their sanity to just never work there or hope you're lucky enough to get a manager who doesn't care. Also I got lucky and got a few thing free on CL from a graphics studio that was closing, but I think the really good stuff was gone.

Things that made it home safely:
Dell XPS M2010 (Replaced GPU)
iBook G4 1.33 (No issues)
iBook G3 900 (Toast, BGA GPU failure)
Technics SL-7 Turntable (Missing cartridge)
A couple original pentiums
Asus H87M-Plus (still don't have a CPU or 24 pin PS for this)
GeForge 6800 GT OC
HP Mini 2140 (Coolest little hackintosh ever, Macbook micro?)
Macbook pro 13" 2.66 C2D (new battery and SSD to find out it finally died from original water damage a couple months later)

CL haul:
Macintosh Plus (CIB) (Bad analog board, KB+M styrofoam pack broken)
ImageWriter II (CIB)
800K external drive for mac
Kensington tilt/swivel for mac (really neat to be able to tilt a macintosh)
Powerbook G3 233 (CIB)
Original ADB keyboard
2x LaCie Electron19Blue IV Monitors
LaCie Electron19Blue III (there was a second one, but at that point I had a really annoyed friend in a car with no AC in the middle of summer)

EDIT: forgot MBP

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 788 of 4609, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Asomodai wrote:
Been given some bits and peices for free. […]
Show full quote

Been given some bits and peices for free.

No photo, but a Pentium 4 661 3.6ghz Costa Rica. Probably one of the fastest P4 single cores out there, perfect for my Win98 build.

And then this.

OgKf9D9.jpg

Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96, soundcard and front panel. Missing it's IDE cable but easy to get. I have no idea what any of the other ports are on the soundcard board or what they do, any ideas?

Board: Blue line in, Front output, rear output, center/subwoofer output
Front panel: the round orange connectors, and the square optical ones are for digital audio (Input from CD/DVD/DAT/MD player, output to MD/DAT). The MIDI ones are well, MIDI and i'll leave it there since there are other members who can go into further detail than I can. Peak LED by mic input indicates that the volume gain for your mic possible needs to be turned down to avoid clipping/bad sound (simplified explanation) Only thing is I don't see a way to ground a turntable on that phono input.

That's a short explanation but should be enough to give you an ide of what the card does. It looks to be in between the creative cards like audigy 2 and the full on professional recording cards. You'll probably get really nice clean headphone output from that shielded front panel.

Here's the maual as well

http://terratec.ultron.info/Audio/DMX6fire249 … 6_Manual_GB.pdf

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 789 of 4609, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Geforce 8600, MSI passive edition. LP xfx Geforce 8600, Geforce 210, HD6450, 30+ 1gb sticks of DDR2, and 6 sata drives ranging from 160-320gb. Not bad! Plus 4 sticks of DDR2 1066 in 1gb flavor.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 790 of 4609, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Saved a stack of obsolete (hah!) media from the bin. I was very pleased to find the first, ever, LS120 superdisk I've seen in person, despite having had two of the drives installed in PCs I use regularly since 2013.

media1.jpg
Filename
media1.jpg
File size
297.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The zip disks & 720k floppies were a nice score too. There were also some 1.44MB ones but I didn't include those in the pic because they're boring.

After carefully checking it over for defects, I inserted the precious Superdisk in one of my drives, and...

media2.jpg
Filename
media2.jpg
File size
128.06 KiB
Views
File license

It's empty!

media3.jpg
Filename
media3.jpg
File size
146.43 KiB
Views
File license

There's a good chance this thing's never been used.

Far more amusing were the contents of one of the 720k disks, which contained exactly three files:

homer.jpg
Filename
homer.jpg
File size
54.8 KiB
Views
File license

...the CV of an esteemed former professor in my department and these two wav files of Homer Simpson for god knows what reason. I don't even.

I love floppy disk archaeology.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 791 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let's play a guessing game. I was putting a crappy machine into the cage at work yesterday, prior to it being disposed of. And then I saw this bad boy:

20170317_103951-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
20170317_103951-1200x2133.jpg
File size
556.7 KiB
Views
File license
20170317_104000-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
20170317_104000-1200x2133.jpg
File size
303.67 KiB
Views
File license

I couldn't take it there and then (it is now in my car) but an external inspection gave me enough clues to get pretty excited about what might be inside, never mind the enormous case. The Plextor drive is also something I've been after forever (time to burn some CD+G discs!). Obviously it came from a video editing suite. Here's a shot of it alongside a standard Gateway desktop from the same era:

20170317_103708-1600x900.jpg
Filename
20170317_103708-1600x900.jpg
File size
247.33 KiB
Views
File license

I had all night to think about the specs, and it turns out I was spot-on. Can you guess?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 792 of 4609, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, interesting question!

I'm guessing a late P3, around 1GHz, i815 motherboard. The indicators are, onboard sound, Win 2K installed and floppy drive. The last slot may possibly be an ISA slot, and if so, rules out the i815 motherboard. The second last slot looks like it has a PCI 3Com 905 card in it. The VGA card looks like a Matrox Dual-Head or an ATi card.

Reply 793 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
orcish75 wrote:

Hmm, interesting question!

I'm guessing a late P3, around 1GHz, i815 motherboard. The indicators are, onboard sound, Win 2K installed and floppy drive. The last slot may possibly be an ISA slot, and if so, rules out the i815 motherboard. The second last slot looks like it has a PCI 3Com 905 card in it. The VGA card looks like a Matrox Dual-Head or an ATi card.

Very close! Anyone want to get closer?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 794 of 4609, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pretty sure the graphics card is an ATi Radeon 7500 - the connector spacing looks wrong for a G400/G450, and the G550 always had at least one DVI-I, IIRC, as did later Radeons and GeForces. Every Radeon VE I've ever seen had VGA and DVI-I, too. There may have been a Quadro produced with dual VGA, but if there was, I'm not remembering it.

Looks like there's a PCI Firewire card and an analog capture card, probably both connected to that bay module in front - I'm not real familiar with Canopus gear, but I know they made a combined DV/analog setup, which is probably what's there.

I actually wonder if that's not a dual Slot 1 Pentium 3 rig, now that I think about it. Would make sense for video editing. What I'm surprised not to see, though, is a SCSI card. I would have guessed the Plextor optical drive was SCSI, and that a video editing rig would have SCSI disks, but I don't see a SCSI card back there. Though a dualie rig might have SCSI on the motherboard.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 795 of 4609, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jade_angel wrote:

Pretty sure the graphics card is an ATi Radeon 7500 - the connector spacing looks wrong for a G400/G450, and the G550 always had at least one DVI-I, IIRC, as did later Radeons and GeForces. Every Radeon VE I've ever seen had VGA and DVI-I, too. There may have been a Quadro produced with dual VGA, but if there was, I'm not remembering it.

Looks like there's a PCI Firewire card and an analog capture card, probably both connected to that bay module in front - I'm not real familiar with Canopus gear, but I know they made a combined DV/analog setup, which is probably what's there.

I actually wonder if that's not a dual Slot 1 Pentium 3 rig, now that I think about it. Would make sense for video editing. What I'm surprised not to see, though, is a SCSI card. I would have guessed the Plextor optical drive was SCSI, and that a video editing rig would have SCSI disks, but I don't see a SCSI card back there. Though a dualie rig might have SCSI on the motherboard.

Okay the pair of you have combined to be close enough. It is indeed an SMP setup, but it's dual socket 370. I have no idea what the CPUs are but the mobo is a Gigabyte GA-6VXD7 - an unremarkable Apollo Pro 133A board praised more for its stability than features or speed. It's aimed at server / workstation setups but without integrated SCSI or PCI-X it's pretty useless as a server imho. The chipset also lacks Tualatin support, of course, and an ISA slot was an option - I haven't looked close enough to see if this has one on the board or not. The storage is indeed running off IDE, which not only limits the speed to the onboard ATA66, but also the number of devices to 4. Considering this was a custom-build, SCSI is a glaring omission.

EDIT: it's quite possible that it did have SCSI and that the card was removed (hence the missing blanking plate) - I'll know later when I look more closely at the Plextor. The presence of IDE drives would suggest otherwise though.

The graphics card is indeed a G450, itself unremarkable performance-wise, so probably chosen for image quality / dual head feature more than anything else given it was a video editing workstation. And yes, it's a Canopus DVStorm-RT, a pretty good solution for its time. If it still boots I might find Premiere 6.0 on there.

Not exactly a kick-ass setup, but the Matrox and Plextor are good finds, and the case is perfect for my dual Tualatin server.

20170317_103900-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
File size
576.28 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 796 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:
Okay the pair of you have combined to be close enough. It is indeed an SMP setup, but it's dual socket 370. I have no idea what […]
Show full quote
jade_angel wrote:

Okay the pair of you have combined to be close enough. It is indeed an SMP setup, but it's dual socket 370. I have no idea what the CPUs are but the mobo is a Gigabyte GA-6VXD7 - an unremarkable Apollo Pro 133A board praised more for its stability than features or speed. It's aimed at server / workstation setups but without integrated SCSI or PCI-X it's pretty useless as a server imho. The chipset also lacks Tualatin support, of course, and an ISA slot was an option - I haven't looked close enough to see if this has one on the board or not. The storage is indeed running off IDE, which not only limits the speed to the onboard ATA66, but also the number of devices to 4. Considering this was a custom-build, SCSI is a glaring omission.

EDIT: it's quite possible that it did have SCSI and that the card was removed (hence the missing blanking plate) - I'll know later when I look more closely at the Plextor. The presence of IDE drives would suggest otherwise though.

The graphics card is indeed a G450, itself unremarkable performance-wise, so probably chosen for image quality / dual head feature more than anything else given it was a video editing workstation. And yes, it's a Canopus DVStorm-RT, a pretty good solution for its time. If it still boots I might find Premiere 6.0 on there.

Not exactly a kick-ass setup, but the Matrox and Plextor are good finds, and the case is perfect for my dual Tualatin server.

I'd love to get a system like that, i can't even find a dual Socket 370 with AGP slot here, rip

Reply 797 of 4609, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First of all sorry for my crappy english!

Old shop owner in town had to throw away a couple of pcs, exchanged 'em with parts of a tube amplifier(he's talented at repairing'em)

IMG_20170318_150800.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170318_150800.jpg
File size
198.8 KiB
Views
File license

He also gave me a couple of monitors, 17 inch acer j17, and that unknown 'Orion' crt
Little one is a celeron 900, hp branded, nothing special , except for that removable hard drive

The big one, with that green and fancy energy saving button (hmm don't remember seeing those back in the day),holds a great surprise: Pentium 200mmx with one of those hybrid motherboards capable of both at and atx psu, simm and dimms.

IMG_20170318_151028.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170318_151028.jpg
File size
351.73 KiB
Views
File license

There's a 3dfx pci card inside! Can't recognize the model, probably a banshee?

IMG_20170318_151258.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170318_151258.jpg
File size
300.66 KiB
Views
File license

Also a terratec sound card! Really neat! I'll make a great '97 pc out of this. Like the one i had

IMG_20170318_152029.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170318_152029.jpg
File size
87.47 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 798 of 4609, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mongaccio wrote:

IMG_20170318_151258.jpg

Looks like a Voodoo 3

Reply 799 of 4609, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Carlos S. M. wrote:
mongaccio wrote:

IMG_20170318_151258.jpg

Looks like a Voodoo 3

Not just... It is a V3-3000-PCI. (lots of money saved there)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011