VOGONS

Reply 800 of 4607, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mongaccio wrote:

The big one, with that green and fancy energy saving button (hmm don't remember seeing those back in the day),holds a great surprise: Pentium 200mmx with one of those hybrid motherboards capable of both at and atx psu, simm and dimms.

I've actually used such a case for my ss7 K6-III/400 build. There was also an AT version of that case (mini tower) but never got one of those for myself alas.
It's one of the earliest ATX cases there is and I think it actually predates the slightly later ones which look like AT cases (but fatter and with the PSU turned 90 degrees). Mine has Windows 95 on the front bezel.

Unfortunately one of my side panels of that case has always tended to be stiff or something, quite hard to remove or reseat. But it was probably like that before I dumpsterfound it 😜

The 3DFX is a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI with SDRAM. Very nice find! Consider yourself lucky to have gotten one for free and cherish it! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 801 of 4607, by mongaccio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, so it's the voodoo3 3000! Never expected to find it in a p200 machine. Maybe a bit too much for the pentium 200 , but i can swap it for an older voodoo2 and see the difference

Reply 802 of 4607, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently found 286-16 in school's attic, I discover functional motherboard and decide to refresh the whole system.
Attic find - 286-16, that's right

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 803 of 4607, by Asomodai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just been given (For the cost of shipping)

Asus GEForce EN6600LE Silencer 256MB graphics card

P_500.jpg

and

2 x 2GB DDR2 RAM PC6400 DIMM (EasyRAM)

Graphics card would be good backup for my Win98 machine (If the 7950GX2 just doesn't pan out) I can also use the ram as I have the Ram patch and the motherboard can be unlocked to run 4 gb. Will be dual booting this!

Reply 804 of 4607, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got, from a friend of mine, 3x motherboards + CPUs, all dismissed equipment from his work place:

- Asus m3a78-em + Athlon X2 6000+

- Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP + Core 2 Duo E6550

- Asus A8N-VM/S + Sempron 3400+

Strange to see, that Core 2 Duo model E6550 on that motherboard: this precise CPU model is not supported from the P5N32, checking the list on ASUS site about supported CPU list confirms this - and the motherboards recognized the CPU as running @1.8ghz (stock freq. is 2.33ghz, x7 multiplier), because the FSB was automatically set on 266mhz, instead of 333mhz. Locking PCI/PCIe and RAM speeds allowed me to reach the correct speed, rising the FSB frequency (not officially supported from the motherboard). The problem is... this motherboard is really terrible, despite the fact the it looks really nice, and with many features... my motivation is to find in the RAM support and compatibility... I can't, REALLY I can't let the motherboard recognize any 2x DD2 dual channel... it works only on single channel configuration, it doesn't matter how many banks I'm trying (and many of them simply don't work). What a pity... many users on the net say the same thing, about this model - LOTS of problems with RAM/Dual Channel setting.

The Asus m3a78-em seems to be near my Asus m3a-h (full layout), but with the great add of the compatibility with 140w CPU models, like Phenom II X6/X4 (125w).

About the A8N: nice to find this Sempron, I didn't know about the 3400+ model, maybe one of the fastest.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 805 of 4607, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dual P3-733 setup with voodoo3 3000.

Attachments

• WechatIMG2.jpeg
    Filename
    WechatIMG2.jpeg
    File size
    81.85 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • WechatIMG1.jpeg
    Filename
    WechatIMG1.jpeg
    File size
    125.71 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 806 of 4607, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So my work place (at least for our floor) has a staging area where people deprecate hardware. Normally, you're supposed go through all kinds of bureaucracy to get stuff. I've seen a lot of good things just thrown out (I assume recycled). But whatever, today I bagged an ATI Radeon 7500 DDR and 2 Intel PCI NIC's (100Mb and 1Gb).

I also saw a FireGL V7200 hanging around, might save it.

Reply 807 of 4607, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend just called me a few days ago claiming he had found a PC in the dumpster room (yes,the block where he lives has a separate room for trash) fully intact.

Here's what I found:

Pentium 4 1.8GHz Wilamette w/ HSF
Deer DR-A300ATX 300W PSU with badcaps - fixed
ASUS P4B533 motherboard - bad TAICON caps - fixed
ATI Xpert2000Pro 32MB AGP/Rage 128 AGP - replaced it with a Geforce 4 MX440 (though seems like I'll have to replace that one as well - constant flickering at every movement 🙁 )
3COM 10/100 NIC
Gameport/USB bracket
Hitachi-LG 52x CDROM
1GB Kingston KVR DDR400 RAM

It came in some OEM-ish case (like a fusion between Compaq and Enlight cases) that I threw away (I literally had to remove about a ton of scotch tape to get to the innards). I moved all the stuff in a Deer case I had around and it works fine now,with an 80GB WDC drive. I need a new CMOS battery.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 808 of 4607, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:
A friend just called me a few days ago claiming he had found a PC in the dumpster room (yes,the block where he lives has a separ […]
Show full quote

A friend just called me a few days ago claiming he had found a PC in the dumpster room (yes,the block where he lives has a separate room for trash) fully intact.

Here's what I found:

Pentium 4 1.8GHz Wilamette w/ HSF
Deer DR-A300ATX 300W PSU with badcaps - fixed
ASUS P4B533 motherboard - bad TAICON caps - fixed
ATI Xpert2000Pro 32MB AGP/Rage 128 AGP - replaced it with a Geforce 4 MX440 (though seems like I'll have to replace that one as well - constant flickering at every movement 🙁 )
3COM 10/100 NIC
Gameport/USB bracket
Hitachi-LG 52x CDROM
1GB Kingston KVR DDR400 RAM

It came in some OEM-ish case (like a fusion between Compaq and Enlight cases) that I threw away (I literally had to remove about a ton of scotch tape to get to the innards). I moved all the stuff in a Deer case I had around and it works fine now,with an 80GB WDC drive. I need a new CMOS battery.

Nice, i have a PC with the same board and i can say is a very good ASUS i845E mobo, support Northwood and FSB 533 P4s as well, also if your mobo is PCB 1.03 or newer, you can upgrade to the 3.06 ghz P4 HT, i currently run mine with a 2.8 ghz P4 Northwood and plan to upgrade with a 3.06 HT (my mobo is PCB 1.04)

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 809 of 4607, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Nice, i have a PC with the same board and i can say is a very good ASUS i845E mobo, support Northwood and FSB 533 P4s as well, also if your mobo is PCB 1.03 or newer, you can upgrade to the 3.06 ghz P4 HT, i currently run mine with a 2.8 ghz P4 Northwood and plan to upgrade with a 3.06 HT (my mobo is PCB 1.04)

I just checked mine and it says 1.04. I have a 3GHz HT Prescott but I don't think I'll ever run that on a 845E. (I did once - it POST'd but it was awfully hot - old board was Gigabyte 8IE2004)

By the way,mine runs a 2.8 Northwood as well,running Windows 2000 SP4. 😀 Though the MX440 in there still gives me headaches because of its constant screen flashing whenever I press a key or even move the mouse.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 810 of 4607, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

I just checked mine and it says 1.04. I have a 3GHz HT Prescott but I don't think I'll ever run that on a 845E. (I did once - it POST'd but it was awfully hot - old board was Gigabyte 8IE2004)

By the way,mine runs a 2.8 Northwood as well,running Windows 2000 SP4. 😀 Though the MX440 in there still gives me headaches because of its constant screen flashing whenever I press a key or even move the mouse.

Prescott is not compatible and it's TDP is really high compared to a similar clocked Northwood. The P4 3.06 HT is the only Northwood HT for FSB 533 Intel ever made for desktops, you can find them on ebay without issues like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-4-SL6PG … ewAAOSwDN1UTvVT

My P4 rig has an MX460 and Windows XP though

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 811 of 4607, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone gave me a early 2000s system they aren't sure is working. It's an custom machine built by Systemmax which were sold by TigerDirect online and via mail in the US. It's an Athlon XP with a Geforice Ti 4600 AND is watercooled. I have not powered it on yet as I am not sure how I'm going to go about cleaning it up. The person who gave it to me is a heavy smoker too so there is a lot to clean up.

Photo link
http://imgur.com/a/AfPi7

Seperate thread asking for advice on the watercooling.
Advice on refurbing a liquid cooled system.

Reply 812 of 4607, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found an old-ish looking system on the scrap pile today. Took off the panel and it was a i865 S478 motherboard. The heatsink/fan had a flat copper base, so I may keep that later. But the CPU looks like an ES Northwood Celeron, based on the bottom.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/generation,534-4.html

Looks like the one in the middle.

Reply 813 of 4607, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rhuwyn wrote:
Someone gave me a early 2000s system they aren't sure is working. It's an custom machine built by Systemmax which were sold by T […]
Show full quote

Someone gave me a early 2000s system they aren't sure is working. It's an custom machine built by Systemmax which were sold by TigerDirect online and via mail in the US. It's an Athlon XP with a Geforice Ti 4600 AND is watercooled. I have not powered it on yet as I am not sure how I'm going to go about cleaning it up. The person who gave it to me is a heavy smoker too so there is a lot to clean up.

Photo link
http://imgur.com/a/AfPi7

Seperate thread asking for advice on the watercooling.
Advice on refurbing a liquid cooled system.

That thing must've cost a pretty penny back in the day! Nice score.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 814 of 4607, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found this fully working Keytronic keyboard today. It was a good find for me because I didn't have a keyboard with an AT connector before.
I only wiped most of the dust/dirt from the surface. I probably still need to clean it inside.

20170406_185656.jpg
Filename
20170406_185656.jpg
File size
2.02 MiB
Views
File license
20170406_185740.jpg
Filename
20170406_185740.jpg
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license

Does anyone know how old it is? I wasn't able to find any information about that model number on the sticker.

Reply 815 of 4607, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That Key Tronic board ought to be from the late 90s, if I'm finding things right (but Key Tronic has a ton of rather similar designs). It's a rubber dome with keycap-integrated slider design, considered fairly decent for the type if somewhat stiff.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 816 of 4607, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would a late 90s keyboard have that big din connector instead of a ps/2 connector? All late 90s motherboards that I have seen have had ps/2 for keyboard.

jade_angel wrote:

That Key Tronic board ought to be from the late 90s, if I'm finding things right (but Key Tronic has a ton of rather similar designs). It's a rubber dome with keycap-integrated slider design, considered fairly decent for the type if somewhat stiff.

Reply 817 of 4607, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AT connectors were still around then, yes - recall that the ATX form factor didn't come around until 1995 and didn't fully displace AT/Baby AT until at least 1999 or so. I couldn't get a firm date on that keyboard or even production years, but what few posts I could come up with had those coming with various machines sold in Europe in the Socket 4/5/7 generations. Also, I'm pretty sure they also made a PS/2 version. However, Key Tronic has made enough poorly-documented, awfully similar keyboards over the years that some of them can be hard to pin down.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 818 of 4607, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a Dell Latitude CPi D300XT without AC adapter. Can't turn on probably due to dead battery. Then I put it back in the dumpster.
I did a little googling about the machine. I am surprised by its configuration: 66MHz FSB PII 300 processor + 440BX chipset + EDO RAM. Why?

Reply 819 of 4607, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ I remember "windows" keys becoming pretty much ubiquitous shortly after w95 got popular. I'd think that keyboard dates from before then, possibly 94~95 at the latest. I've had several AT keyboards with windows keys (much to my chagrin.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!