Rank
Oldbie
infiniteclouds wrote:
22" Mitsubishi Diamondtron - 25$ local […]
Show full quote

22" Mitsubishi Diamondtron - 25$ local

NiW7o2w.jpg?1

x56TzUy.jpg

Looks beautiful! I just need to put together a desk that will fit it...

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/2351.htm

Damn it. Why can't I find a high end CRT cheap in rural bumfuck nowhere like everyone else lately?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1382 of 4600, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Damn it. Why can't I find a high end CRT cheap in rural bumfuck nowhere like everyone else lately?

I'm in New York! (outside the city but not rural either) The person was the original owner and had used it for graphic design. I guess I just got lucky -- I was looking for any working decent working CRT ... I didn't realize how high end these were.

Reply 1383 of 4600, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice find there, you never know what you may get and you got lucky.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
infiniteclouds wrote:
22" Mitsubishi Diamondtron - 25$ local […]
Show full quote

22" Mitsubishi Diamondtron - 25$ local

http://i.imgur.com/NiW7o2w.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/x56TzUy.jpg

Looks beautiful! I just need to put together a desk that will fit it...

http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.au/2351.htm

I feel the same here. these days I hardly see good CRTs pop up on CL and when they do, they can be expensive sometimes. 😐 (Don't worry, I still have a few working CRTs that get in use.)

Reply 1384 of 4600, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
infiniteclouds wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I'm in New York! (outside the city but not rural either) The person was the original owner and had used it for graphic design. I guess I just got lucky -- I was looking for any working decent working CRT ... I didn't realize how high end these were.

Where in NY are you? I got an NEC Multisync XP17 with BNC ports last year for free off Long Island craigslist.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 1386 of 4600, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice CRT! 22" is huge! I had a 17" Gateway monitor, but it was getting pretty blurry and it was a PITA to switch around systems on. I don't have a lot of extra space either. Even though it's not "authentic" I'm preferring my $15 LCD these days, as it's so much easier to maneuver. Has built in speakers too.

Reply 1387 of 4600, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tizzdizz wrote:

Nice CRT! 22" is huge! I had a 17" Gateway monitor, but it was getting pretty blurry and it was a PITA to switch around systems on. I don't have a lot of extra space either. Even though it's not "authentic" I'm preferring my $15 LCD these days, as it's so much easier to maneuver. Has built in speakers too.

My main is a 17" Gateway EV700 that tops out at 1280x1024 @ 60hz. Its a very slight bit out of focus and green is starting to have very minor convergence issues but it still looks fantastic. Someday if the alignment gets any worse I'll open it up and focus it with the focusing knobs. It's not bad enough right now to warrant it though. Blurry CRTs are fixable, at least.

It's supposedly a Trinitron tube inside but idk if that's true or not. I also have 2 17" flat glass monitors of the same spec that use Samsung tubes (same monitor, two different brands) but there blurry towards the edge and Crystal sharp in the central 80 percent. It's a design flaw I think. I also have assorted 14" and 15" monitors including a 1989 AST 640x480 VGA monitor that's a rebranded leading edge (the same model in LGRs last unboxing video).

I have one really great HP 17" curved glass (M703 iirc) that is perfectly in focus and has perfect colors too but there's minor scratches on the screen and I don't know how to repair scratches on CRTs effectively. Does anyone here know how?

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1388 of 4600, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Where in NY are you? I got an NEC Multisync XP17 with BNC ports last year for free off Long Island craigslist.

I'm on Long Island. Don't limit yourselves to craiglist though. There are other apps/services for local selling and I've had better luck with them, actually.

Jade Falcon wrote:

22" dang that's big, my 19" diamond pro takes up half the desk its on.

I need to build a bigger desk anyway -- I hate my current one.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Someday if the alignment gets any worse I'll open it up and focus it with the focusing knobs. It's not bad enough right now to warrant it though. Blurry CRTs are fixable, at least.

I have one really great HP 17" curved glass (M703 iirc) that is perfectly in focus and has perfect colors too but there's minor scratches on the screen and I don't know how to repair scratches on CRTs effectively. Does anyone here know how?

Before the Diamondtron I had bought a KDS 19" monitor (https://www.cnet.com/products/kds-xtreme-flat … crt-monitor-19/) off Craiglist only to find that it is very dim unless the brightness AND contrast are turned up to 100... and having the contrast up so high makes the text blurry at higher resolutions. I wish there were still places around that would restore these. With CRTs only becoming more rare as time goes on it would be nice if we could preserve the ones out there...

Reply 1389 of 4600, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
infiniteclouds wrote:
I'm on Long Island. Don't limit yourselves to craiglist though. There are other apps/services for local selling and I've had bet […]
Show full quote
oeuvre wrote:

I'm on Long Island. Don't limit yourselves to craiglist though. There are other apps/services for local selling and I've had better luck with them, actually.

Jade Falcon wrote:

22" dang that's big, my 19" diamond pro takes up half the desk its on.

I need to build a bigger desk anyway -- I hate my current one.

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Someday if the alignment gets any worse I'll open it up and focus it with the focusing knobs. It's not bad enough right now to warrant it though. Blurry CRTs are fixable, at least.

Before the Diamondtron I had bought a KDS 19" monitor (https://www.cnet.com/products/kds-xtreme-flat … crt-monitor-19/) off Craiglist only to find that it is very dim unless the brightness AND contrast are turned up to 100... and having the contrast up so high makes the text blurry at higher resolutions. I wish there were still places around that would restore these. With CRTs only becoming more rare as time goes on it would be nice if we could preserve the ones out there...

Hilariously, that's the exact 19" relative of my 17" models. I have the contrast maxed on all my monitors and adjust the brightness as needed. I think I run these at 60 but that's pretty high considering my game room is completely blacked out.

Reply 1390 of 4600, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Hilariously, that's the exact 19" relative of my 17" models. I have the contrast maxed on all my monitors and adjust the brightness as needed. I think I run these at 60 but that's pretty high considering my game room is completely blacked out.

Hah! I've re-read your previous comment and I have the same issue with the blurriness around the edges -- I thought it was because of the contrast being up so high since it gets better when I turn it down... but then becomes very dark. I guess KDS monitors aren't very good.

I'm jealous of your smaller 640x480 monitors since I hear early DOS games look much better on something like that compared to a big 22" like the Diamondtron.

Reply 1391 of 4600, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just found this thing on the street, a msi mega 180

2017-08-23 15.58.30.jpg
Filename
2017-08-23 15.58.30.jpg
File size
3.17 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

the pc side seems to be dead, tested different ram sticks and still constantly beeps but the radio part seems to work.

At least is a decent thing for some spare parts.

Reply 1393 of 4600, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed it's a quite exotic Socket A system from 2002-2003. If it's the AMD version, then it has the Nforce2 chipset and 333FSB support.

Don't give up on it, check what the PSU is doing and if there are any bulging caps around.
BTW, a few days ago I've learned that bulging caps WILL vent at some point and spit out their electrolyte. Even if they have been bulged for years, there is still a LOT of pressure insude.

Reply 1394 of 4600, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
infiniteclouds wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Hah! I've re-read your previous comment and I have the same issue with the blurriness around the edges -- I thought it was because of the contrast being up so high since it gets better when I turn it down... but then becomes very dark. I guess KDS monitors aren't very good.

I'm jealous of your smaller 640x480 monitors since I hear early DOS games look much better on something like that compared to a big 22" like the Diamondtron.

It should also go away if you scale the image down.

As for scalling, CRTs dont loss image quality when scaling like a lcd does.

Reply 1395 of 4600, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
martin939 wrote:

Indeed it's a quite exotic Socket A system from 2002-2003. If it's the AMD version, then it has the Nforce2 chipset and 333FSB support.

Don't give up on it, check what the PSU is doing and if there are any bulging caps around.
BTW, a few days ago I've learned that bulging caps WILL vent at some point and spit out their electrolyte. Even if they have been bulged for years, there is still a LOT of pressure insude.

you guessed it, there is some bulging caps on the board.

2017-08-23 20.17.57.jpg
Filename
2017-08-23 20.17.57.jpg
File size
3.78 MiB
Views
File license

this is kind of "too" modern to me, but even then it's worth repair because it's odd, so i will try everything i can to do that.

Reply 1396 of 4600, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@kiwa
I generally lose interest in computers if they are faster than a pentium or don't have 2 cpus.

That said, I would DEFINITELY save this and get it working. So totally worth getting weird things up and running like this.

Side note: love the LS-120 drive in the first pic!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1397 of 4600, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kiwa wrote:
I just found this thing on the street, a msi mega 180 […]
Show full quote

I just found this thing on the street, a msi mega 180

2017-08-23 15.58.30.jpg

the pc side seems to be dead, tested different ram sticks and still constantly beeps but the radio part seems to work.

At least is a decent thing for some spare parts.

That is the coolest yet weirdest PC hybrid thingie I've ever seen. I wonder what someone would use it for? Multimedia?

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 1398 of 4600, by kiwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok guys, got a happy update on this pc!

2017-08-23 21.05.24.jpg
Filename
2017-08-23 21.05.24.jpg
File size
4.49 MiB
Views
File license
2017-08-23 21.05.33.jpg
Filename
2017-08-23 21.05.33.jpg
File size
4.6 MiB
Views
File license

i used really big caps because that's the only thing i had on hand, but for a quick test i was successful, gonna get new caps and recap the thing.