VOGONS

Reply 1940 of 4603, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Cool eh? Well it would be if I didn't need some weird Compaq drivers, the 4402 is nearly working properly but I'm having some weird sound issue that seems to be connected to one of the unknown devices. I'm guessing it's the controls on the front of the machine fucking things up. Also have a small other problem with the CRT going out of focus as the machine heats up. 😒

Anyone who can help with the driver situation would be greatly appreciated! 😁

If that Compaq CRT can't be fixed I am betting with a little work that would be a great candidate for a LCD mod.

Reply 1941 of 4603, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nah the CRT can be focused manually. Most likely if nothing else it's caps that need replacing.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1942 of 4603, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Focus drift can be caused by a bad CRT socket (corroded contacts - very likely particularly in humid climates or if stored in damp environments), flyback transformer (bad focus/screen divider - not very likely but some of these do fail every once in a while) or failure of the CRT itself (internal electrode shorts - unlikely).

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 1943 of 4603, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This tower:

5c78d815-b338-49e0-99d6-addfbc17b106.jpg

The friend of mine that saved it from certain death told me it's a 486 DX-33, not sure about it... I have not opened it yet.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 1946 of 4603, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kadath wrote:

Thanks mate, I'll let you know for sure what I'll find inside.

Here you are, what I've kept:

Adattatore.jpg CDs.jpg CPU.jpg LCD.jpg

Mobo.jpg image.jpg Sound_Disk.jpg VLB.jpg

VLB2.jpg

In the first one, a nice and never found before adapter for older floppy-flats to 'newer' one, with pins... strange; two CDRoms by Creative, maybe part of a kit? One of them was attached to the SoundBlaster 16 integrated IDE; the CPU is a 486 DX-33, the friend of mine was right. Nice those mini-speakers to fit the bigger bay of the case, 'Soundisk'.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 1947 of 4603, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The top Creative Labs CD-ROM is for the Sound Blaster 16 that has the Panasonic/Creative Labs IDE port (not ATAPI), and the one below is for standard IDE (hence the 8-speed). The desktop looks pretty good (the parts). Also, I've never seen the speakers that mount on the inside of the case (the 5.25" bay).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1948 of 4603, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

The top Creative Labs CD-ROM is for the Sound Blaster 16 that has the Panasonic/Creative Labs IDE port (not ATAPI), and the one below is for standard IDE (hence the 8-speed). The desktop looks pretty good (the parts). Also, I've never seen the speakers that mount on the inside of the case (the 5.25" bay).

Yes. I've never seen it too, but it can be useful - thanks for the info about the drives 😉

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 1949 of 4603, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kadath wrote:
This tower: […]
Show full quote

This tower:

The friend of mine that saved it from certain death told me it's a 486 DX-33, not sure about it... I have not opened it yet.

You didnt keep the super nice full size tower case?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1950 of 4603, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kadath wrote:

In the first one, a nice and never found before adapter for older floppy-flats to 'newer' one, with pins... strange; two CDRoms by Creative, maybe part of a kit? One of them was attached to the SoundBlaster 16 integrated IDE; the CPU is a 486 DX-33, the friend of mine was right. Nice those mini-speakers to fit the bigger bay of the case, 'Soundisk'.

Very nice stuff! That little floppy adapter is super handy. I managed to end up with a few over the last couple years and I actually had a perfect use for one. Adding a 3.5" floppy to my IBM 5150 while also keeping the original 5 1/4 floppy installed. Finding a floppy cable that had the correct spacing and connectors proved to be impossible since it needs to have one of the large 5 1/4 type connectors on the driver controller end (5150 has a floppy card). I couldn't just use a standard cable backward because the twist has to be between the drives (moving a connector or moving the twist proved to be very unreliable). After cobbling together many things, I eventually got my hands on one of those little adapters and all I had to do was use the original floppy cable for this system with 3x 5 1/4 type connectors, stick the adapter on one end and use that for my 3.5". Wonderful little things. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1951 of 4603, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Kadath wrote:
Show full quote

This tower:

omg, if i'm reading his post right, he didn't. and that really triggers me. The internals are WORTHLESS compared to the case. Jesus tapdancing christ, I'll be in my angry dome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiCZP09F6FQ

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1952 of 4603, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And.....

No. I just have no space to keep another tower... Sorry. I had to make a choice, and I kept the other 486 tower case I just had in my bunker.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 1955 of 4603, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Kadath wrote:
Show full quote

This tower:

I noticed this too and it super-triggered me. I would pay good money for such a nice full tower case and people trash these things. I didn't want to upset the poster so I kept all the RAAAAAAAGE to myself..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1956 of 4603, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Kadath wrote:
Show full quote

This tower:

I noticed this too and it super-triggered me. I would pay good money for such a nice full tower case and people trash these things. I didn't want to upset the poster so I kept all the RAAAAAAAGE to myself..

Selfish people will be selfish I guess.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1958 of 4603, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So if I collected a couple hundred vintage PC cases and turned them into an art installation at Burning Man would you all still be my bros? 🤣

In the past I've passed on similar cases at garage sales knowing damn well they were headed to the scrap heap. I have also thrown out software and parts in the past only to find out they were fairly uncommon and regretted it deeply later. I've made my fair share of mistakes for sure.

Reply 1959 of 4603, by peido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't throw away anything, I keep it all. That is why my computer room looks like a dumpster... I need a bigger house. There are places where the floor is full of stuff and I only have a path to walk by.