VOGONS

Reply 1861 of 4609, by Morc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so i found not so retro monitor from Dell but with retroish resolutions(1920x1200, 1600x1200)
it is working but sad thing is that panel is broken.

as always, you can click on pictures to open in album.
cjwCYpim.jpg
jIA4K4cm.jpg

2018 Retro Rebuild: Pentium MMX @ 166MHz, LuckyStar 5I-TX1 rev: 2.0, 32MB, Verite 2200

Reply 1862 of 4609, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Morc wrote:
so i found not so retro monitor from Dell but with retroish resolutions(1920x1200, 1600x1200) it is working but sad thing is tha […]
Show full quote

so i found not so retro monitor from Dell but with retroish resolutions(1920x1200, 1600x1200)
it is working but sad thing is that panel is broken.

as always, you can click on pictures to open in album.
cjwCYpim.jpg
jIA4K4cm.jpg

Guess that's why it ended up dumped. Nothing really you can do to save it unfortunately, would be cheaper to find another monitor instead of replacing the panel.

Follow me on twitter

Reply 1863 of 4609, by croton64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently found this beauty, had to clean it up a little because it was so filthy the camera refuses to focus.

20180317_123035.jpg
Filename
20180317_123035.jpg
File size
156.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20180317_180132.jpg
Filename
20180317_180132.jpg
File size
412.1 KiB
Views
File comment
PCChips M599
File license
20180317_185402.jpg
Filename
20180317_185402.jpg
File size
364.42 KiB
Views
File comment
Network card/header + AMR Modem
File license
20180317_185433.jpg
Filename
20180317_185433.jpg
File size
267.51 KiB
Views
File comment
K6-2 500
File license

Found this Pentium MMX too... but it seems somebody has grinded the cooler, is it some way to remove it without breaking the cpu?

Attachments

• 20180328_225747.jpg
    Filename
    20180328_225747.jpg
    File size
    173.86 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1864 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well guys, as usual Friday the 13th was a lucky day for me and I found something completely unexpected!!!

I just scored a BLACK Packard Bell monitor! I'd heard about these black Packard Bell computers from around 1994 but this is the first time I've ever seen any bits of such a system in person. The funny part is I almost missed it, it was under a pile of modern LCDs and other junk! My father who just happened to be along noticed the speaker and pointed it out to me, but when I went to go grab it I noticed it woudn't come off the monitor I thought it was sitting on. Then it hit me... 🤣 This wasn't just any old monitor, it's about the rarest Packard Bell monitor out there. 😁

This is a PB 1511SL from September of 1994, it's a 15" CRT with digital controls.

I guess this raises my Packard Bell monitor count to 12. No idea if it works yet as it's still wet from the rain and my cleaning but I'm not tossing something this rare even if it doesn't work! 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc8qh2b.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc8qh5g.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc8qh4l.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc8qh3k.jpg

And here's what it looked like when I found it, white speakers attached and filthy as hell!

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc8qhdq.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc8qhcr.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1865 of 4609, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
croton64 wrote:

Found this Pentium MMX too... but it seems somebody has grinded the cooler, is it some way to remove it without breaking the cpu?

lol, ouch. It's possible to remove the cooler (it's attached using a superstrong adhesive), but with the amount of trouble you will have removing it, you may as well just find another chip.

Reply 1866 of 4609, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let's see that PackardBell in action - it's looking pretty nice. I think back in the day I would have given a lo for a black crt. Only "low price" company in Euroland that had black setups was Escom.

Reply 1867 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
Well guys, as usual Friday the 13th was a lucky day for me and I found something completely unexpected!!! […]
Show full quote

Well guys, as usual Friday the 13th was a lucky day for me and I found something completely unexpected!!!

I just scored a BLACK Packard Bell monitor! I'd heard about these black Packard Bell computers from around 1994 but this is the first time I've ever seen any bits of such a system in person. The funny part is I almost missed it, it was under a pile of modern LCDs and other junk! My father who just happened to be along noticed the speaker and pointed it out to me, but when I went to go grab it I noticed it woudn't come off the monitor I thought it was sitting on. Then it hit me... 🤣 This wasn't just any old monitor, it's about the rarest Packard Bell monitor out there. 😁

This is a PB 1511SL from September of 1994, it's a 15" CRT with digital controls.

I guess this raises my Packard Bell monitor count to 12. No idea if it works yet as it's still wet from the rain and my cleaning but I'm not tossing something this rare even if it doesn't work! 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc8qh2b.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc8qh5g.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc8qh4l.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc8qh3k.jpg

And here's what it looked like when I found it, white speakers attached and filthy as hell!

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc8qhdq.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dc8qhcr.jpg

I had one of those with the matching black speakers back in a 90's.
It wasn't great but it was a step up from the beige 14" it replaced.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 1868 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Woah really? The computer was black also? I'm in a group that collects Packard Bell machines on Facebook and they only have one photo of a Black Packard Bell and it's a Packard Bell Pro 66TV. 🤣

81DRrseUXLL._SL1500_.jpg

This computer and a case style they call the 2x2 are basically mythical legends. 🤣 No one owns one, I'm the only one in the group with any part of the uber rare Black computers. 🤣

Reply 1869 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Woah really? The computer was black also? I'm in a group that collects Packard Bell machines on Facebook and they only have one photo of a Black Packard Bell and it's a Packard Bell Pro 66TV. 🤣

This computer and a case style they call the 2x2 are basically mythical legends. 🤣 No one owns one, I'm the only one in the group with any part of the uber rare Black computers. 🤣

Nope. I bought the upgrade monitor a few years after the system. The system was beige with 1-5.25" and 1-3.5" front bay.
Is that 1x1?

I didn't buy one but I recall back in the day PB offered plastics kits for some models to change the color of the case plastic parts between beige, grey and black.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 1870 of 4609, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SW-SSG wrote:
croton64 wrote:

🤣, ouch. It's possible to remove the cooler (it's attached using a superstrong adhesive), but with the amount of trouble you will have removing it, you may as well just find another chip.

I bet the original fan died and they ground it down so they could mount a regular heatsink on top. Betting it will work just fine as long as you lower the tension on the heatsink clip so it doesn't break the socket.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1871 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
Nope. I bought the upgrade monitor a few years after the system. The system was beige with 1-5.25" and 1-3.5" front bay. Is that […]
Show full quote
King_Corduroy wrote:

Nope. I bought the upgrade monitor a few years after the system. The system was beige with 1-5.25" and 1-3.5" front bay.
Is that 1x1?

I didn't buy one but I recall back in the day PB offered plastics kits for some models to change the color of the case plastic parts between beige, grey and black.

You sure you aren't confusing it with the base bezel kits? I know they offered those, my father got one for free since the grey bezel on ours was broken in the box. You could change that grey part on the lower half of the cases to Green, Blue or Red iirc. He used a red one I think. 🤣

packard_and_i_by_mad_king_corduroy-d85frw6.png

This is what the bezel kit looked like:
vintage-1994-packard-bell-color_1_e96d1ab19e2420d5ca3131a4a496a2ce.jpg

Reply 1872 of 4609, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:
Nope. I bought the upgrade monitor a few years after the system. The system was beige with 1-5.25" and 1-3.5" front bay. Is that […]
Show full quote
King_Corduroy wrote:

Is that 1x1?

You sure you aren't confusing it with the base bezel kits? I know they offered those, my father got one for free since the grey bezel on ours was broken in the box. You could change that grey part on the lower half of the cases to Green, Blue or Red iirc. He used a red one I think. 🤣

Where I saw had that kit plus the whole front bezel. It was in two parts though. Not one kit for everything.

Reply 1874 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

Where I saw had that kit plus the whole front bezel. It was in two parts though. Not one kit for everything.

Interesting! I'm going to have to ask around and see if we can find any more info on this. Thanks! 😁

Reply 1875 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Interesting! I'm going to have to ask around and see if we can find any more info on this. Thanks! 😁

So you, being extremely into Packard Bell equipment, must have the rare DVD copy of Westwood's Blade Runner game that was only bundled with certain Packard Bell machines? I had two copies. One was thrown out (I'm an asshat, don't ask) and the other I gave to The Strong. As you know Blade Runner was only released on four CDs for the PC, but Packard Bell had it in one of their hardware bundles on DVD. This of course makes it much more convenient to install off of one DVD. From what I can tell it was only released in Europe because both copies I had came from there.

Here is the copy I sent to The Strong:

bladerunnerpcdvd.jpg
Filename
bladerunnerpcdvd.jpg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 1876 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No I don't actually! That's pretty cool, but must have been pretty late in the cycle to be on DVD. When was that distributed?

Reply 1877 of 4609, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Being a fan of the original point and click Leisure Suit Larry's, and of course the Blade Runner movie.... I totally loved this!

I think I remember it having quite a few CD's though, switching between each one depending what stage in the game you were.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 1878 of 4609, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

No I don't actually! That's pretty cool, but must have been pretty late in the cycle to be on DVD. When was that distributed?

I actually don't. I don't even know what Packard Bell hardware bundle it came with. I am guessing it was within a year or two of the original release to be relevant and a draw to the bundle. I only found out about it because I saw it at a garage sale in Florida and thought it was strange the Blade Runner PC game was on a DVD and it looked official. Found out the family selling it lived in Europe for awhile and came back to the States with all their software. I bought it for a buck. I then cleaned out my apartment a year later and ended up throwing it out not realizing its rarity. Fast forward a year or two later and I wanted it again and I thought they were common and looked for it on Ebay. Found only one copy and it was around $52 from the UK I believe. I thought, "I'm an idiot for throwing that out!". Paid the $50, played it again and then sent it off to The Strong.

Anyway, since you collect all these Packard Bell systems I thought you might want a heads up on this so you can keep a lookout for it. It's a neat version of the game because you don't have to do all that CD flipping when playing the game and of course it has Packard Bell printed at the top of the DVD. Otherwise its exactly the same as the original four CD PC version. My first copy that I threw out came with a black and white copy of the manual which was in the bundle. It looked like Packard Bell just produced photo copied versions of the Blade Runner game manual.

If I ever see it before you do in my travels or retro hunting I'll pick it up for you if it's cheap or just give you a heads up if it's online.

Reply 1879 of 4609, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice! Yeah I would appreciate it, I had no idea that such a thing was even out there. Very cool! 😁 Thanks!