VOGONS

Reply 1900 of 4607, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

It looks like a Lite-on LTD-163 drive. I love those.

If I have time tomorrow I'll give it a test spin - if only to test motherboard and RAM.

Also, Ensoniq =/= ESS.

Oh bugger, I always mix those up...

It is an ES1370, the Sound Blaster sticker even says so, together with a 9834 date code, which is interesting given that the back sticker on the card gives a 9821 date..

Reply 1901 of 4607, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometimes I check the recycling area near my flat - sometimes it has broken printers, sometimes broken LCDs sitting outside of it, I can't get at the insides of that bin but I still like checking outside it for large stuff - you never know...

Yesterday I decided to go check it on the way home and found a Dell D1025HE 17" trinitron CRT - I bought one of these years ago because they were cheap decent trinitrons in 2002, then sold it to a friend in town. I'm hopeful it's the same one?
I had to stop and catch my breath twice while walking back because it was heavier than I was expecting - I should've just gone home and got the hand cart 😁

IMG_7967 (Custom).jpeg
Filename
IMG_7967 (Custom).jpeg
File size
654.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So odd that I keep finding Dells, the XPS D233 it's sitting on was also a random find that I won the auction for at 99p (though I paid the seller more than that)

There was something rattling around inside it, which turned out to be the magnet of a transformer inside that had come unglued when it was placed on the ground - I sort of wish I had read up on how to open a monitor a bit more first... I was tired...

IMG_7960 (Custom).jpeg
Filename
IMG_7960 (Custom).jpeg
File size
707.91 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The display of it is pretty great, though I think there are some weird issues and maybe convergence issues that I haven't looked into much yet - seeing the inside of the monitor, it's not something I want to work to fix.

Reply 1902 of 4607, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote:

The display of it is pretty great, though I think there are some weird issues and maybe convergence issues that I haven't looked into much yet - seeing the inside of the monitor, it's not something I want to work to fix.

Watch out for the monitor tube itself - they can hold very high voltages for a long time after last being switched off, enough to fry you to a crisp (or at least send you to the ER 😲 ).

Reply 1904 of 4607, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

Saved this one from a one-way trip to the dumpster:

This InWin case is the same one I had for my PII and PIII systems I am in the market for one bur finding one where I live has been impoasible. Great find.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1905 of 4607, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
Thermalwrong wrote:

Watch out for the monitor tube itself - they can hold very high voltages for a long time after last being switched off, enough to fry you to a crisp (or at least send you to the ER 😲 ).

I do know there are some very high voltages in CRTs that can be stored in the capacitors, the monitor looked like it hadn't been used in a while and because that part was rattling around inside, I decided I had to take a look before I would apply power to it, just in case it could cause a short. Thankfully I was okay this time.

Murugan wrote:

Too bad, getting old stuff from the recycling park is illegal here 🙁
Some great stuff gets lost here.

I'm not sure if it's okay here either, but leaving stuff outside the electronics recycling bin like that is technically fly tipping so it's hard to tell. Maybe I was just helping to clean up?

Reply 1906 of 4607, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once you enter the park, you aren't allowed to take anything since the company owns it from then on. It's considered as theft then and I guess the fine isn't worth the haul :p
In some parks, the electronics bin is outside the compound but not here of course....

Last times I went, there was almost nothing in the bin. I almost ran away with a SFF Dell but I placed it back in the end.
People never or almost never put a pc outside their home for free. I think I came across it twice since I started collecting again. It's considered illegal dumping.....

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 1907 of 4607, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's rules and there's how things work in practice. Just walking off with stuff and hoping nobody notices is not a good idea, but having a chat with the people working there can do wonders. Basically beige stuff is useless and valueless for recycling companies, even thrift shops refuse to stock it anymore - as neither the companies nor the shops have the knowledge or the time to get anything out of it. So by letting an enthousiasst walk off with it they in fact end up with less - for them - non-recyclable waste.

Or not, in which case it's just to bad. But it's always worth a try and a chat. Sometimes it turns out there's more stuff there somewhere you can't immediately see, but that they will let you take a look when they hear you're a crazy but passionate person 😉

Reply 1908 of 4607, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know a guy that used to work in such a park. He gets lots of nice stuff because his old co-workers bring him the stuff that is dropped off 🤣.
I had some nice scores like that because he knows that I am into this stuff.

I might use the chit chat options. You could get away with giving like 5-10€ or a 6-pack but those days seem to be gone too 🙁

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 1909 of 4607, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Murugan wrote:

I know a guy that used to work in such a park. He gets lots of nice stuff because his old co-workers bring him the stuff that is dropped off 🤣.
I had some nice scores like that because he knows that I am into this stuff.

I might use the chit chat options. You could get away with giving like 5-10€ or a 6-pack but those days seem to be gone too 🙁

I used to work for this plumber and we'd do the same thing, disposing of "commercial" rubble at the municipal recycling depot. You would give the guy at the entrance a nod and like 20€ and that was that.

Reply 1910 of 4607, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Murugan wrote:

Once you enter the park, you aren't allowed to take anything since the company owns it from then on. It's considered as theft then and I guess the fine isn't worth the haul :p

"I dropped this PC off here earlier and just forgot to wipe the harddrive! So sorry! I'll bring it back when I've cleared my personal data."

Follow me on twitter

Reply 1911 of 4607, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

There's rules and there's how things work in practice. Just walking off with stuff and hoping nobody notices is not a good idea, but having a chat with the people working there can do wonders. Basically beige stuff is useless and valueless for recycling companies, even thrift shops refuse to stock it anymore - as neither the companies nor the shops have the knowledge or the time to get anything out of it. So by letting an enthousiasst walk off with it they in fact end up with less - for them - non-recyclable waste.

Or not, in which case it's just to bad. But it's always worth a try and a chat. Sometimes it turns out there's more stuff there somewhere you can't immediately see, but that they will let you take a look when they hear you're a crazy but passionate person 😉

I wish that were always true. There is a recycler in the area I am staying in Florida that has piles of great stuff and he has let me in a couple of times, but other times he is in a foul mood and tells me to leave so I just gave up. Can't deal with attitudes like that. I also was grabbing some old systems coming into a local PC repair shop if they were old enough and they were cool about it at first and then all of the sudden they got nasty. Only thing I can conclude from it is they think I am making money on this, which I don't, and they don't want to see that happen.

One day I was at a Staples office store and saw a guy cart in a large amount of old PC equipment and I had no idea that Staples had a recycle program like that. I think they offer store discounts or something like that if you bring in your ewaste. So we are definitely battling ignorance and scrappers at an alarming rate. In ten more years the early stuff is going to be almost impossible to get without donating an organ.

Reply 1912 of 4607, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qjimbo wrote:
Murugan wrote:

"I dropped this PC off here earlier and just forgot to wipe the harddrive! So sorry! I'll bring it back when I've cleared my personal data."

Or, "The last photo ever taken of my great great grandmother is on here, and I need it for her funeral..."

How low would you go for a free old computer? 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1913 of 4607, by Atomic Skull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

I'll second the horribleness of USB for MIDI purposes. USB 2.0 helped with some of that, and for Windows you can disable core parking which helps with latency even more. Still it is not near as good as a real midi interface.

USB is also fine for external storage, web cams, adding devices such as serial and parallel ports, etc. to do work on stuff such as networking equipment.

Is the USB interface on the Yamaha MU2000EX this bad? Because they replaced the (quite excellent) serial port interface that previous XG desktop and rackmount modules used with a USB port on the MU2000. It'd be a shame if they ruined what was otherwise the pinnacle of XG modules by hobbling it with a USB interface (and you *need* the USB interface to use the internal sampler unless you can scrounge up an old smartmedia card from somewhere)

Reply 1914 of 4607, by mcobit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a fully working (except for the secondary HDD) IBM Aptiva Pentium 75 with 32MB RAM, SB16 Vibra and Video7 VGA card in the dumpster today. It also has a 5 1/4 inch and a 3 1/2 inch floppy drive as well as a quad speed CD Rom and a 230MB HDD. Quite happy about this find. It is a really nice machine with the sliding front cover.

Reply 1915 of 4607, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote:
Sometimes I check the recycling area near my flat - sometimes it has broken printers, sometimes broken LCDs sitting outside of i […]
Show full quote

Sometimes I check the recycling area near my flat - sometimes it has broken printers, sometimes broken LCDs sitting outside of it, I can't get at the insides of that bin but I still like checking outside it for large stuff - you never know...

Yesterday I decided to go check it on the way home and found a Dell D1025HE 17" trinitron CRT - I bought one of these years ago because they were cheap decent trinitrons in 2002, then sold it to a friend in town. I'm hopeful it's the same one?
I had to stop and catch my breath twice while walking back because it was heavier than I was expecting - I should've just gone home and got the hand cart 😁

IMG_7967 (Custom).jpeg

So odd that I keep finding Dells, the XPS D233 it's sitting on was also a random find that I won the auction for at 99p (though I paid the seller more than that)

There was something rattling around inside it, which turned out to be the magnet of a transformer inside that had come unglued when it was placed on the ground - I sort of wish I had read up on how to open a monitor a bit more first... I was tired...

IMG_7960 (Custom).jpeg

good one
i love Sony CRT, they look so good
i didnt know sony made crt for dell, any other brand? i know they used crt for some apple G4 i think

your sony one looks like mine, i did notice on mine the brightness button is kind of fucked up because if i try to decrease brightness, the menu appears but after 1 or 2 seconds it changes to another menu setting that is not brighness

Reply 1917 of 4607, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mcobit wrote:

Found a fully working (except for the secondary HDD) IBM Aptiva Pentium 75 with 32MB RAM, SB16 Vibra and Video7 VGA card in the dumpster today. It also has a 5 1/4 inch and a 3 1/2 inch floppy drive as well as a quad speed CD Rom and a 230MB HDD. Quite happy about this find. It is a really nice machine with the sliding front cover.

Eww upgrade that hard drive if thats socket 5. Thats a hard drive I would expect to find in a mid-run 486.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1918 of 4607, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BLockOUT wrote:
good one i love Sony CRT, they look so good i didnt know sony made crt for dell, any other brand? i know they used crt for some […]
Show full quote
Thermalwrong wrote:
Sometimes I check the recycling area near my flat - sometimes it has broken printers, sometimes broken LCDs sitting outside of i […]
Show full quote

IMG_7967 (Custom).jpeg

IMG_7960 (Custom).jpeg

good one
i love Sony CRT, they look so good
i didnt know sony made crt for dell, any other brand? i know they used crt for some apple G4 i think

your sony one looks like mine, i did notice on mine the brightness button is kind of fucked up because if i try to decrease brightness, the menu appears but after 1 or 2 seconds it changes to another menu setting that is not brighness

Sun microsystems