VOGONS

Reply 2560 of 4586, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All brand new, more scrap haul from work we are throwing away.

15x Hyundai HY53C256LS-10 (100ns 256K x 1 bit DRAM)
10x Samsung KM4164B-10 (100ns 64K x 1 bit DRAM)
50x Samsung KM4164A-15 (150ns 64K x 1 bit DRAM)
25x Samsung KM4164B-15 (150ns 64K x 1 bit DRAM)

zIUBB2Qh.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2561 of 4586, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was definitely a thing when passive PFC was common.
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthrea … 3-Fake-PFC-coil

Still happens, though.
http://electricstuff.co.uk/acadapter.html

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2562 of 4586, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote:
All brand new, more scrap haul from work we are throwing away. […]
Show full quote

HEY ! you been in my garage ? 🤣 Nice Find !
I have some of those same tubes with old dram in them obtained from a comp store that was going out of business about 15 years ago.
If you are lucky they are still all good as those are anti-static holders designed for dram.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2563 of 4586, by jamesp15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have had over the years 4 or 5 "wall wart" power blocks that couldnt deliver near their ratings, and were suspiciously heavy... I took them apart and found a bunch of steel nuts/bolts epoxied to the case with a tiny small transformer and 4 4000 series diodes as a rectifier inside...

None recently though, will see if i can find the pictures i took of them when I go through some old backup CDR's from back then.

Last edited by jamesp15 on 2019-11-28, 03:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2564 of 4586, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote:
HEY ! you been in my garage ? LOL Nice Find ! I have some of those same tubes with old dram in them obtained from a comp store t […]
Show full quote
wiretap wrote:
All brand new, more scrap haul from work we are throwing away. […]
Show full quote

HEY ! you been in my garage ? 🤣 Nice Find !
I have some of those same tubes with old dram in them obtained from a comp store that was going out of business about 15 years ago.
If you are lucky they are still all good as those are anti-static holders designed for dram.

The first 18 I just tested were good, so I'll assume most if not all are good. I have dozens of more holders like this to sort through.. I spotted 3 tubes of Z80 CPU's but set them aside to start a new box of stuff to bring home after the holiday.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2565 of 4586, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote:
I also scored an HP 8300. I5 3470, no memory, no video card, no hard drive, but the DVD drive was still there. It also had a Win […]
Show full quote

I also scored an HP 8300. I5 3470, no memory, no video card, no hard drive, but the DVD drive was still there. It also had a Windows 10 key sticker on the top. I had been planning on using a G41 775 motherboard I had for the gaming computer I'm giving my cousin, so this was a big upgrade (Q 9505 to I5 3470!). I installed an SSD, the DDR3 I already had, and the video card. I had to buy a cable adapter to go from a PCIE drive connector to a six pin video card connector, but that was easy to find. I considered doing a case swap, but you have to buy a special adapter to go from a standard PSU to the connectors for this board, the heatsink is non standard and uses the case's back panel as a backplate, and the I/O plate is integral to the case; I decided that for free, he'll have to be satisfied with it as is.
It did have a strange delay when you would restart it, just the sort of thing you would expect a BIOS update to fix. But when I tried updating the BIOS, it had no effect - I then discovered that it hadn't actually updated the BIOS because I was at 2.01, and you have to update to 2.99 before you can update to the latest one. Two updates later, it's fast both in initial power up, and restart.

AWLAmHk.jpg?1

FkESg1c.jpg?1

w9jQNV9.jpg?1

I found the HP 8300 because I had gone back to find the stand for this one, a Dell Inspiron One 2020. I initially though this was just a monitor, then I saw that it had USB ports, and realized that it was an all in one. It had been split open to remove the hard drive, and I saw no stand, but I took it home anyway. I plugged in my laptop's power supply, and it powered right on, so I then decided to go back to see if I could find the stand - I had no luck that evening, but I did find the 8300 behind a big screen TV. I came back the next day, and in the light (and knowing what it looked like after a Google search) I found the stand.

Unfortunately, the hard drive caddy was missing, and it's a structural part. Fortunately, I found one on Ebay for $10.00 shipped. I doubled the memory by filling the empty DDR3 slot with a 4 meg SODIMM from a laptop I found in my apartment complexes' dumpster, and I bought an inexpensive SSD. I installed Win 8, and upgraded it to Win 10, and the plan is to give it to a cousin.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2566 of 4586, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Craigslist giveaway I picked up yesterday:

yxOUMrF.jpg?1

An Asus P4P800, an Asus FX5600 128, a 2.8/512 P4, a failing CDROM, a pair of 512 DDR400 sticks and no hard drive. I blew it out with compressed air, cleaned everything, removed the heatsink from the video card, lubed the fan, cleaned out the dust, and replaced the fossilized thermal grease with Artic Silver. I then added a hard drive, two gigs of DDR2 400, installed XP, and it all works great (10,123 in 3DMark 2001). I don't know what I'll do with it, but I enjoyed bringing it back to life.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2567 of 4586, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote:
Repo Man11 wrote:

I also scored an HP 8300.

I have charge over several of those.
FYI (if you don't know already) That one is called a CMT "Convertible Minitower".
The "Convertible" part means the ODD bays can be rotated 90 degrees turning it into a horizontal Desktop.
I've used that feature to save office/desk space by slipping them under printers or scanners.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2019-12-02, 13:34. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2570 of 4586, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

If you want to be the coolest kid on the block buy eight modems and run an eight line dial-up BBS.

Since we don't get any POTS connections anymore in germany that's a pass.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 2572 of 4586, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

Use it to control a DIY CAD/CAM system.

My 3D printer only has one USB port 😜
So i guess the card goes in the trash.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 2573 of 4586, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ooh! Connect multiple retro computers to one machine.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2575 of 4586, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Solarstorm wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Then sell it or offer it for free to someone who is looking for one...

Reply 2576 of 4586, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Solarstorm wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Before dumping it again I am interested in getting it.
eisapc

Reply 2577 of 4586, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found an old 16 channel security camera box sitting in the landscape between a motel and the biz I was doing work at today. Inside was a 2003 Maxtor HD and 64MB pc 133 ram stick in an odd board shaped like a mini ATX with soldered cpu and 16 bnc camera connections coming off it. Ram tests fine, will test the 250Gb ATA drive later... threw rest in the recycle bin.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2578 of 4586, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I.T. companies are wasteful as fuck. I was just given this for free during a tear down session for my temp job. (granted I had to reassemble it from the bin of half dismantled laptops but still)

EliteBook 8560b
1600x900 Display
Core I5 2540M (2c, 4t)
Intel HD Graphics 3000
16GB of DDR3
720p Webcam
A Very Shit Battery

This things probably worth $150 as it sits. and we must have destroyed HUNDREDS of them today. They only cared about the hard drive being removed. Its nuts.

They also gave me a 1680x1050 + HD3650 256MB + Core2 @ 2.86GHz eqiupped Elitebook 8560p(which I already owned one of the same model, but its better than mine so mine just became parts for this)

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 2579 of 4586, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I.T. companies are wasteful as fuck.

I keep getting amazed at work how perfectly fine machines are basically trashed because fixing/reinstalling the OS is too much work for a machine that's 2 years old.

Then the same people who take those decisions dare to say with a straight face that they're active in the climate strikes... 😒