Dell P1130 21"
Sony PVM-2950QM 15kHz 29"

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 21 of 40, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apart from my EGA monitor on my XT Turbo and built-in 14" vga on two all-in-one Compaqs I can't be bothered with anything under 17" these days. Use an 18" Trinitron with my 286 and 386 systems.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 22 of 40, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a few... 😀

12" TVM mono VGA
12" DTK mono VGA
14" Siemens VGA
14" CTX SVGA
14" Samsung SVGA
15" Sony Trinitron 100SX
17" Samsung SyncMaster 765MB Magic Bright Flat
17" Sony Trinitron 200EX
17" ADI (Trinitron tube)
17" Philips 107MP
22" Mitsubishi Diamontron 2070SB

Commodore 1084
Commodore 1084S
Philips CM8833

My main monitor for retro stuff is actually a LCD - LG 228VA (it has all the important inputs - VGA, DVI, SCART, S-video, Component, Composite, TV)

My everyday monitor for PC is LG W2600... although this one is on the way 😁

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 24 of 40, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Vision Master Pro 410 as my main retro screen, and some other basic 17inch screen "in case".
I also have a 12inch CRT that came with a 386sx16, that I keep because I want thtat system to stay whole.
And then I have the Atari CRTs.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 26 of 40, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMO a CRT is important for DOS games, it's part of the experience. Ideally a shadow mask and not flatscreen too.

Have a 17" Philips which I use for most things, and an IBM 5153 CGA for the XT which needs attention.
Also keep a 14" TV with SCART handy for my Amstrad CPC.

Reply 29 of 40, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not for my computers, but I have one for my old game consoles. I have two much older ones ('85 and '83) mostly for the novelty, they don't get much use. One could be a good substitute in case my newer one dies, but it only has mono sound and no composite. The other old one is the same but has no color.

I suppose if I came across an Apple II, C64 or Atari 8bit they would make decent period correct monitors,

Reply 30 of 40, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't recall the model numbers off the top of my head (currently not at home), but I have a Goldstar EGA monitor on my WYSE 286 system with a broken power button 😢 and the color proprietary monitor for my AT&T PC 6300, which is working perfectly fine. 😎

I WANT to get a CRT for my childhood Dream 486 rebuild, most desired is the same one the childhood original system had (A rather good Eye-Q 15-incher with digital controls and BNC inputs), but I pretty much guarantee I'll never be able to find the exact model it used to have because AFAIK it originally came from Germany. 🤣

Reply 31 of 40, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CRT collection (only working monitors):

21" Eizo T965 - completely rebuilt, excellent image quality, but it can really strain your eyes after a bit.
21" IBM P260 - go big or go home right?
19" Compaq 910 - came with one of my dad's work PCs. He used it for a while, then they switched to Fujitsu PCs with LCD monitors and I rescued the leftover CRTs. This is the only one I kept.
19" Iiyama vision master 451 - one of the nicest CRT monitors I've ever used. By far my favorite CRT. Ever.
17" AOC 7KLR - great value for money. This one needs to be looked at since I can't seem to line up the bottom left corner properly anymore. Got it new for my Barton built in 2003 I think.
3x 17" Dell E773 - mostly unused monitors I picked up a few years ago from a school. They were still in their original boxes.
14" Logix - can't remember the model - mediocre at best, but my first PC had a logix monitor so I picked this one up as soon as I found it.
14" Olivetti - this one I found near a dumpster. Image quality is surprisingly good.

None of them are currently in use as they take too much space... I do plan to use them one I have a room large enough to house all my retro shit, but right now my retro rigs use Iiyama, Eizo and Samsung 17 and 19" LCDs.

4:3 (or 5:4) LCD Collection:

19" Samsung 943n black - mediocre image quality but can be found really cheap. Got this one for 15$
2x 19" Samsung 940n both silver / black - same as above. Found them in front of a dumpster. They were both dead - replaced all capacitors to get them going.
2x Iiyama Prolite B1906s, one white one black - LED backlit TN panel - excellent image quality and blacks. I think you can still get these new. One is made in 2012, the other is newer.
Eizo FlexScan S1903 - these things is a brand new LED backlit TN panel unit
Eizo FlexScan S1923 - brand new LED backlit VA panel - best color reproduction of any LCD (and most CRTs) I've ever tried, including newer IPS monitors. Payed something like 170 euro for this one (new) witch is a good deal since they usually go for 400-450$
Eizo FlexScan L557 - mediocre contrast, good image quality, supports all oddball resolutions, extremely sharp - I use this one with my 386.

Reply 33 of 40, by Indrid Cold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I own a ViewSonic P220f 22" CRT, currently working with my FeeDOS build + Win9x build thanks to KVM Belkin OmniView SE 4 Port. Great straight-glass, like Flatron series - it has got strange OUT ports too, behind, together with VGA common port: 5x BNC ports (RGBHV - but I don't own the correct cable). Bought a few months ago for € 20, in great conditions, this was used by a graphical/CAD professional user.

Reply 34 of 40, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Viewsonic A75f 17" CRT. I bought it new at CompUSA about 20 years ago for $400.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 35 of 40, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Has anyone tested a TTL-LCD for replancing an original MDA/CGA/EGA-Monitor ?

Something like this?
12" http://www.miraclebusiness.com/lt12b-ttl.htm
15" http://www.miraclebusiness.com/lt15a-ttl.htm

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 38 of 40, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can get cheaper converter boards (AU$25) that convert CGA/EGA/MDA into VGA so you can plug them into a normal LCD monitor, but weirdly they all say they are for arcade use only, and may or may not work with PC signals. I'm not sure what they mean by that, I didn't think CGA or EGA were "different" in arcade machines.

Reply 39 of 40, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

used 20 year old CRT-EGA-Monitors are sometimes more expensive,

More than US$400~500? That's what these modern LCD replacements tend to go for, since they are sold as industrial equipment for a captive market. And they look like the typical Chinese mediocre build quality runs through them.

Malvineous wrote:

You can get cheaper converter boards (AU$25) that convert CGA/EGA/MDA into VGA so you can plug them into a normal LCD monitor, but weirdly they all say they are for arcade use only, and may or may not work with PC signals. I'm not sure what they mean by that, I didn't think CGA or EGA were "different" in arcade machines.

CGA/EGA in the arcade world refers to the horizontal scan rate (15/24 kHz) of the signal, the video itself is analog (and not standardized at all) unlike PC CGA/EGA which is digital. You could wire up a resistor DAC to convert CGA/EGA TTL video into analog levels suitable for these cheap video scalers and get it to work.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com