VOGONS

First post, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right, so I bought a Pentium III PC to make into a Windows 98SE gaming rig.
It has a Pentium III 900MHz Coppermine CPU, 512MB SDRAM, a SoundBlaster Live! sound card, and an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX-400 (under the ASUS AGP-V7100 brand).
Anyways, I succesfully installed Windows 98SE, as well as the drivers for said cards. But, it hasn't enabled and cannot enable hardware acceleration, and thus is doing it software wise, running really slow.
Have I installed the wrong drivers? This did come with the nView menu, and seems to be working with exception of the acceleration (32-bit high resolution is possible).

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 4 of 14, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, I overlooked the Marvin section. Anywho, yes, it's now on DX8.1. Now I noticed in the DXDIAG, it doesn't display Chipset/Available Memory/DAC, it seems like either a faulty driver or a faulty card at this point.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 6 of 14, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is an AGP card. It's not showing the Chipset/DAC/Available Memory of said card, not the motherboard, that is working fine. I installed the driver for the GeForce2 card, and SoundBlaster Live! card, as well as some games, 7Zip and KernelEx. It's just not doing hardware acceleration, pretending it is not available on this card. Which is confusing, since it does goes up to 1600x1200 @ 32-bit indicating the display driver is working, to some extent.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 7 of 14, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, would assume it's the incorrect driver or an incomplete installation of the driver package. Try to source a different driver first thing.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Exactly what motherboard is this? As said you may need chipset drivers for AGP to function. Use a program like Everest Home Edition to find out.

Try using NVIDIA driver 28.32.

Are you trying to play a game? If so, which game? Is the card rendering Windows GUI properly, in high color depth (16 or 32-bit), or is it limited to 4/8-bit color depth?

Reply 9 of 14, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote:

Yeah, would assume it's the incorrect driver or an incomplete installation of the driver package. Try to source a different driver first thing.

I am starting to think driver issues as well. Shall try to find a different one, which might prove to be hard.

swaaye wrote:

Exactly what motherboard is this? As said you may need chipset drivers for AGP to function. Use a program like Everest Home Edition to find out.

Try using NVIDIA driver 28.32.

Are you trying to play a game? If so, which game? Is the card rendering Windows GUI properly, in high color depth (16 or 32-bit), or is it limited to 4/8-bit color depth?

To quote myself:

Daniël Oosterhuis wrote:

(32-bit high resolution is possible).

So I assume that because the AGP card is practically found and working because of this?
I do need to say that the drop down menus are a bit glitchy, their text tends to disappear after having been highlighted. That again seems to either point to drivers or a faulty card.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 10 of 14, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another cause of not working 3D acceleration (apart of the broken drivers) might be outdated directX. I've experienced this issue a few times - last time when I was trying to install FW 275.33 on Athlon Thunderbird + GF 6800 GT rig. 2D was ok, but D3D and OGL were not working at all. This particular problem was impossible to solve - recent enough DX9c version for FW 275.33 refused to install on a CPU without SSE support... So in the end I had to install older drivers + DX to get 3D working.

I reccomend using latest win98SE compatible DX9c - 08 Dec 2006 http://falconfly.de/directx.htm and driver 53.04 - both were very stable and reliable during my GF2 testing.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 11 of 14, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another question - what game are you specifically attempting? Are you sure it can use DirectX? Or that it supports/requires "hardware acceleration"?

+1 to havli's suggestion of updating DirectX as well. And I'll also echo all of swaaye's questions - it's fairly hard to help you if you won't provide much information.

Reply 12 of 14, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right, the games I have tried are Unreal and Midtown Madness. MM looks very blocky and runs very poorly, Unreal runs shoddy at even 640x480. The only games that play decent are games like Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and SimCity 3000, since those are 2D games.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 14 of 14, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think your best course of action is to reinstall windows - then install motherboard chipset drivers - after that directX (preferably 8.1 or older) and lastly the video card drivers (try the latest GF2 driver on the nvidia homepage - all my vintage cards worked perfectly with those).

I recently encountered the same issue with my P3 Voodoo rig after swapping video cards - the only thing that cured it is reinstalling windows.