Duke Nukem 3D on a i80386

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by zbyszek_krok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tronix wrote:

Hello,

[...] If anyone interested, you can download my pre-compile EXE from here: Duke Nukem 3D v1.4/i386 - Atomic Edition

Hello,

Is there any possibility to download above file? Duke3d.exe recomiled for 386. On Tronix's Dropbox account it isn't available. Maybe someone of you have a copy and can put somewhere to send me ( zbyszek_krok (at) o2 (dot) pl )? I'm preparing some overclocked 386 machine and it will nice to test Duke 3D on it. Many thanks!

Best regards,

Zbyszek

Reply 21 of 27, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is on retronn.de: ftp://retronn.de/dos/games/Duke3D/for386_1.4/

You very likely can't overclock a 386 to the region where Duke3D is well playable.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 23 of 27, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played Duke 3D on an IBM Eduquest 386slc-25 with full mwave sound and it would go from quite smooth and playable to jerky

I had to disable sound because if too many sounds played I would get a hard disk crash and had to reload the OS.

I sort gave up on it after the 2nd crash even though everything seemed like it would run OK at 320x200

Reply 24 of 27, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-06-26, 16:14:

I played Duke 3D on an IBM Eduquest 386slc-25 with full mwave sound and it would go from quite smooth and playable to jerky

I had to disable sound because if too many sounds played I would get a hard disk crash and had to reload the OS.

I sort gave up on it after the 2nd crash even though everything seemed like it would run OK at 320x200

I am quite sure most people do not have the same definition of "smooth" as you do (did), with frame-rates likely well below 11fps at 320x200.

See download/file.php?id=81845

Reply 25 of 27, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently found out that that Duke 3D was also released on the Megadrive, only in Brazil apparently as the Megadrive had a good continued run out there while everywhere else was becoming obsolete.

Though as always, it's great seeing 386's pushed... and in this case running Duke 3D at 5fps!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 26 of 27, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote on 2017-03-15, 16:02:

It is on retronn.de: ftp://retronn.de/dos/games/Duke3D/for386_1.4/

You very likely can't overclock a 386 to the region where Duke3D is well playable.

I suppose this is subjective and dependent on a number of factors i.e. the video bus and speed i.e. ISA @ 8Mhz / VLB @ 40Mhz, and whoever is playing i.e. what their acceptable minimum FPS, i'd swap some shadows for an extra frame or two.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 27 of 27, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
386_junkie wrote on 2020-07-05, 11:28:

Recently found out that that Duke 3D was also released on the Megadrive, only in Brazil apparently as the Megadrive had a good continued run out there while everywhere else was becoming obsolete.

Though as always, it's great seeing 386's pushed... and in this case running Duke 3D at 5fps!

Yes it was an interesting but far from similar version. The Mega Drive did see also a demo homebrew porting of Wolfeinstein3D that it's impressive considering probably the work is all on the Motorola 68000 cpu and if it was make back then it would have had quite some serious success.
But there're many great games with much graphic pushed in this game console. Kawasaki Superbike Challenge remains one of the best if we not consider Virtua Racing that had externally an add-on processor into the game faster than the main console cpu itself that did most of the job. And it was the most expensive game ever released on the Mega Drive obviously. Same things did the Super Nintendo with Doom and some others games using external "coprocessor".