VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone used a USB WLAN adapter under Windows 98 before?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 16, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey Phil,

Yes I have. I went to the support site of the one I have but it's not listed anymore and I cannot remember the model number off the top of my head. It's a generic USB chip AX????? but here is a similar one with Windows 98 support as well.

http://plugable.com/products/usb2-e100

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found two cheap ones on eBay AU. Description says it supports Windows 98, so worst case, I'm covered 😀

Reply 5 of 16, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol I missed the WLAN part... oh well I was just thinking USB to Ethernet, sorry about that.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 8 of 16, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Awesome, thank you!

What speed do you get when copying files?

They suck. 🤣

However, they're probably just fine. I think it's just the way my apartment is laid out or maybe I've just positioned my router poorly. Probably both. Anyway, my HTPC with an N adapter is fine for streaming movies, etc, but even that sucks for transferring files. I've never been fond of transferring data over the network except as a matter of convenience. Even on a wired 100B-TX connection it's still too slow for my patience. I usually just put things on a USB hard drive and walk them over to where they need to go.

Back when I worked IT in an office, we called this a "picnic" problem: Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

Reply 9 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With these boards using USB 1.1, I I don't expect miracles. But I'd like to try it out, see what it's like.

Reply 10 of 16, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not add a PCI USB 2.0 adapter? They're super cheap on eBay. I wouldn't even consider using a USB WiFi adapter on a 1.1 port.

Something to consider:
I used to run a USB WiFi adapter on my P200 MMX system with a PCI USB 2.0 adapter. Although the WiFi adapter worked just fine, the P200 MMX is just a bit too slow to run the software for it. It was fine if I was patient, but I was eventually annoyed enough to remove it.

Instead, I eventually reconfigured an old Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT as an ethernet-to-wifi converter. It works much better because it goes through the ethernet port and requires no additional software. The disadvantage is that the WRT54G is much bigger than a USB WiFi adapter and it requires an AC power adapter. Still, you can find them (and other DD-WRT compatible routers) cheap at thrift stores, so you might consider that option as well.

Reply 11 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's just something I want to try out 😀

In the end, I'll stick with Ethernet. It's much faster and works really well. But sometimes you just need to access a file, but don't want to open the case and install a NIC.

Reply 12 of 16, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:

Back when I worked IT in an office, we called this a "picnic" problem: Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

I like the PEBCAK version. 😉

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 13 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Be sure you make an image of your hard drive before you install the drivers – I recall they took up a lot of system resources and were extraordinarily frustrating to purge.

Reply 14 of 16, by betamax80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can vouch for the TrendNET model. The problem is that as a 802.11G device none of the later authentication methods (WPA2 in particular) work with it.
On my EPIA board I have revered to a Vonets VAP11N-300. This was recommended elsewhere on the forums.
This is a wifi bridge with 802.11N-300 capabilities (eg. 2.4ghz / 5ghz - manual selection which is a wise choice for Win9x network stack) and WPA2 / WPA2-PSK.
The interface needs to be set up on a more recent computer (web interface), but then can be connected to the ethernet + usb (for power) port of the (whatever! even DOS) system and is transparent to the host.

Reply 15 of 16, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote on 2015-07-09, 16:04:

Instead, I eventually reconfigured an old Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT as an ethernet-to-wifi converter. It works much better because it goes through the ethernet port and requires no additional software. The disadvantage is that the WRT54G is much bigger than a USB WiFi adapter and it requires an AC power adapter. Still, you can find them (and other DD-WRT compatible routers) cheap at thrift stores, so you might consider that option as well.

I did run hardware makerspace and have a plenty of IoT boards such as Dragino (OpenWRT). Also have one older Asus router (OpenWRT as well). What type of configuration did you use for ethernet-to-wifi converter? Dragino with custom I/O for sensors and storage opens a whole new world of possibilities. There could be a private FTP server running. Power over Ethernet managed with mobile device. Some fancy bluetooth connectivity. Some kind of smart feedback for automation like RS232 / gameport / mouse / keyboard connector going from Dragino WRT board back to the PC => remote operation & automation. I can imagine putting my wireless motion sensor prototype and controlling gameport with my body or adding the sensor on modern steering wheel to emulate some controls. Or creating some website with photos of games and acting as a launcher. Today I'm too much creative 😁

Reply 16 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had Gigafast WF-748-CUI working, 802.11 b/g ... can't say it's super impressive on 98, but nothing much is. Don't pay much for one.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.