VOGONS

Yamaha YMF724 PCI sound card - perfect for my needs?

Topic actions

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm building a new SE440BX-2 system and I might have found the perfect sound card for my needs and I wanted to hear from folks that have used one. I have never had or heard a Yamaha YMF724 before.

SE440BX-2 does have the SB Link header
YMF724 has real OPL3, supposedly a good soft synth, low noise, full DirectX 7 support, and Sensaura. I used Sensaura on a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and I liked it which gave me A3D 1.0, EAX 1 and 2, Direct Sound 3D and I think a few other API's. I have heard there is no real difference in games between A3D 1.0 and 2.0, anyone done a side-by-side comparison? Supposedly most game makers only really used A3D 1.0 calls?

Would love to hear from real users and what quaility cards to look for that have the chip.

Perhaps other similar chips like the YMF744? I will only be using stereo speakers and headphones.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 86, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't comment about Windows but in DOS is awesome as we have to consider this is a PCI card. The legacy compatibility is excellent and sound quality is great too.

Reply 2 of 86, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never noticed the SB Link header on my SE440BX-2. I know there are different versions of this board. Is it the PC/PCI connector (J6D1) kind of near the AGP slot?

Reply 3 of 86, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

I never noticed the SB Link header on my SE440BX-2. I know there are different versions of this board. Is it the PC/PCI connector (J6D1) kind of near the AGP slot?

Yes, just another name for it.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 86, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

Yes, just another name for it.

Thanks. I'll need to find a cable to test it out. They don't seem like a common item.

I see that some versions of the board come with onboard YMF-740 PCI audio.

One question: why would the SB Link even matter (to us hardware fanatics with multiple ISA sound cards) if the board has two ISA slots?

Reply 5 of 86, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, not for ISA cards. But for PCI cards it matters, as it improves compatibility with DOS.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 86, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

Thanks. I'll need to find a cable to test it out. They don't seem like a common item.

I see that some versions of the board come with onboard YMF-740 PCI audio.

One question: why would the SB Link even matter (to us hardware fanatics with multiple ISA sound cards) if the board has two ISA slots?

You can get away with a single card with both good DOS support and EAX/D3D.

Reply 7 of 86, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I was a little unclear. Because you could put two ISA cards in the SE440BX-2 (I usually have an AWE64 Gold & GUS Ace), why would you want to bother with SB Link?

Reply 8 of 86, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the "hardware assisted" XG synth even work under real DOS? I do know the softsynth for the ISA Yamaha cards only works in Win9x so not much reason to believe they'd have made a TSR for the PCI cards...

Reply 9 of 86, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

If your board does not support Distributed DMA, SB Link provides a way for the PCI card to be able to have access to ISA bus signals. DOS software relied on these, and otherwise there would be no way of the PCI card to provide accurate emulation. Of course the SB Link wouldn't matter if you're using ISA sound cards, but if you want to use a PCI sound card to save one ISA slot for whatever reason then SB Link is important.

On my case i'm using a Yamaha 724 PCI card in DOS. That way i have an extra slot for one more sound card. My socket 7 system has currently 5 sound cards:

Yamaha 724 PCI (provides Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 Gold
Pro Audio Studio XL
Gravis Ultrasound
Innovation SSI 2001

Reply 10 of 86, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The reason is simple, for a late DOS (for me that means Windows 98 DOS Box, not booting into real DOS) and early Windows computer it might just be the elegant single sound card setup I have been looking for. I understand most might not care about this at all.

Can anyone name some cards to search for?

Thank you for the replies!

Windows 98 SE

Reply 11 of 86, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@carlostex: I see your point. I guess if you can tap a true OPL3 via the SB Link, you can do interesting things with the two ISA slots on the SE440BX-2. You could have OPL3 + Ultrasound + AWE/CQM.

@squareguy: I can appreciate the elegance of that setup.

Reply 12 of 86, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
squareguy wrote:

I have heard there is no real difference in games between A3D 1.0 and 2.0, anyone done a side-by-side comparison? Supposedly most game makers only really used A3D 1.0 calls?

A3D 2.0 only works on Vortex2 cards and includes the following over A3D 1.0:

Larger HRTF filters for more accurate 3D positioning Full A3D 3.0 wavetracing reverb, occlusions, doppler, and volumetric/nearfi […]
Show full quote

Larger HRTF filters for more accurate 3D positioning
Full A3D 3.0 wavetracing reverb, occlusions, doppler, and volumetric/nearfield sounds.
96 3D audio buffers in hardware
Support for A3D 1.0 and 2.0 audio streams @48khz
Hardware 10 band stereo graphic equalizer
Hardware crosstalk cancellation

Volumetric and Nearfield were done before Sensauras macroFX and zoomFX respectively.

Other soundcards only emulate A3D 1.0, and none emulate 2.0. A3D 2.0 does sound much better on the real hardware over 1.0.

Reply 13 of 86, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intersting, I will try one out and see for myself.

I think the one I ordered is a Labway.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 14 of 86, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of these, seems like a great PCI card on paper, but Yamaha apparently never bothered to finish their win2k drivers. As I'm not too fond of 9x, it's more or less useless to me. 🙁

There are three versions of this chip afaik: YMF724, YMF744, and YMF754. The first is normal stereo, and the latter two offer quad output and SPDIF input.

Reply 15 of 86, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just thinking out loud here... This might be a key part of the perfect low budget late DOS early Windows build, up to DirectX 7.

An OEM (Dell, Gateway, etc.) Pentium II/III motherboard (hopefully Intel SE440BX-3) and processor that has the SB-Link pins populated. I will see if I have one with un-populated pins and see if it is just the pins, or more circuitry, needs to be added. People give me stuff like this all the time.

A GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8X video card (fast DirectX 7), I really like the Dell OEM cards. Good build quality and I get these out of machines given to me as well.

Any soundcard with Yamaha YMF-724 chip. (I got one for $12 shipped off eBay)

It would not be perfect but think of all the late DOS, DirectX 5/6/7 games it would handle really well. I know a lot of you guys are into a lot more complicated (edit: I mean advanced) things than just OPL3 FM but you could literally build this for almost nothing.

Ok, I'm done thinking out loud and here is the card I found.

$_57 (6).JPG
Filename
$_57 (6).JPG
File size
403.36 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by squareguy on 2015-07-19, 02:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 16 of 86, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

I have one of these, seems like a great PCI card on paper, but Yamaha apparently never bothered to finish their win2k drivers. As I'm not too fond of 9x, it's more or less useless to me. 🙁

There are three versions of this chip afaik: YMF724, YMF744, and YMF754. The first is normal stereo, and the latter two offer quad output and SPDIF input.

Too bad they didn't fully support it in W2K 🙁

Windows 98 SE

Reply 17 of 86, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like its time to polish up your reverse engineering skills and get to work eh?
In a few decades we'll have software smart enough to do it all for you, after you fill in some chip information of course (oh wait Jungo...).

Reply 18 of 86, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just want to state that I see PCI cards for DOS always as Plan B if your board has ISA slots.

For PCI cards, and late DOS games, there is nothing wrong with the Vortex 2. Great SB Pro 2 compatibility and either a wavetable header or external MIDI unit. I see the lack of OPL3 a non-issue, because all the late DOS games support MIDI.

You can use a cheap DreamBlaster S1, get an external SC or MU unit or drive a PC MIDI box running a soft synth.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 19 of 86, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tend to agree with Phil's first statement.

When your play games on Windows, whether your have an ISA or PCI based soundcard makes no difference (although PCI is probably the better choice for later systems).

However, when you play in DOS, the best option is an ISA based sound card (considering that it was designed for the ISA bus).

On the other subject of multiple sound cards in the same system.
I'm interested to see how you free up enough resources for all the sound cards (unless you don't utilise them all at the same time).