Reply 40 of 84, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
y2k se wrote:
Inwin A500 and the rest of the configuration is in my signature. […]
Show full quote

Inwin A500 and the rest of the configuration is in my signature.

hdAnOWo.jpg?1
DLPvAuK.jpg?1

I know some of these have a removable mobo tray. I like the horizontal desktop versions of the case best. (Inwin H500)

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 43 of 84, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:
My Two Beige Cases. Both need retr0bright doing on them! I have a third NOS AT tower case coming which i'm excited to receive! […]
Show full quote

My Two Beige Cases. Both need retr0bright doing on them! I have a third NOS AT tower case coming which i'm excited to receive!

20160926_222540.jpg
20160523_215329.jpg

I tend to not like Enlight cases, to bland looking for me and the drive rails on the first yellowed one you have with the Audigy2 panel don't always fit well. On the plus side they are built very well, like a rock basically.

Reply 44 of 84, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computergeek92 wrote:
Bancho wrote:
My Two Beige Cases. Both need retr0bright doing on them! I have a third NOS AT tower case coming which i'm excited to receive! […]
Show full quote

My Two Beige Cases. Both need retr0bright doing on them! I have a third NOS AT tower case coming which i'm excited to receive!

20160926_222540.jpg
20160523_215329.jpg

I tend to not like Enlight cases, to bland looking for me and the drive rails on the first yellowed one you have with the Audigy2 panel don't always fit well. On the plus side they are built very well, like a rock basically.

I don't particularly like drive rails either. The ones I found second hand of course always had some of them missing 😵

Actually, that blandness I vastly prefer to those blindingly enlighted fairs they often sell for computer cases these days.
Cases like these I find kinda hideous and I'd take a design like an Enlight over any of these any day.
c6.jpg
spec03_three_quarter_hero_up.png
$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Btw, am I nuts when I say the front panel of this case somehow reminds me of the front of a car? 🤣

edit: And the orange one reminds me of HALO. Maybe I am going nuts 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 45 of 84, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tetrium, I agree 100% with everything you said. I'm all for vanilla cases myself. Sometimes I am forced to use something a little flashier because of some other reason (airflow, graphics card clearance) and it makes me a little ill. 🤣.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 46 of 84, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I build all my modern systems in old-school beige. 😎

I'm not much of a modern gamer, so I stick to low end and energy efficient cards, like the GT 210 or GT 730 for my builds.

CPUs.... I'd strive to find the beefiest cooler possible in order to make up for the outdated airflow design in my cases.

Reply 47 of 84, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computergeek92 wrote:

I build all my modern systems in old-school beige. 😎

I'm not much of a modern gamer, so I stick to low end and energy efficient cards, like the GT 210 or GT 730 for my builds.

CPUs.... I'd strive to find the beefiest cooler possible in order to make up for the outdated airflow design in my cases.

I can relate to the preferring to use mid-range or even budget due to thermal concerns. It's why I've been a fan of Geforce MX (both 2 and 4) and TNT2 M64/Vanta (especially PCI ones) for ever.

I've only started using high-end cards I think when I got a GF 6800 vanilla from a flea market, modded its cooling with 8cm airflow 😁 and since then I've tried some other more high-end solutions.

I do prefer ATX cases with the PSU in the top, even for modern systems, due to the PSU not collecting as much dust and for being less of a hassle to keep clean (no cleaning of dust filters and whatsnot).

I also kinda agree with the CPU HSF, preferring a beefier solution, but I don't think this is uncommon by any means. Especially with older CPU cooling solutions (and also for GPU cooling I'd guess, to some point at least), these at some point get dumped for very low prices, enabling retro computer enthusiasts to stock up on plenty high-end cooling solutions.

Report spammers here!

Reply 48 of 84, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unisys-13.jpg
Filename
Unisys-13.jpg
File size
32.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Beige-01.jpg
Filename
Beige-01.jpg
File size
130.76 KiB
Views
File license
Beige-02.jpg
Filename
Beige-02.jpg
File size
110.75 KiB
Views
File license
Beige-03.jpg
Filename
Beige-03.jpg
File size
113.54 KiB
Views
File license
Beige-04.jpg
Filename
Beige-04.jpg
File size
145.68 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 49 of 84, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love those AOpen cases; they are built so well. I have two HX45s and one HX08. Regretfully, several years ago I painted the HX45s black because of paint scratches and yellowing plastic. The HX08 survives, but it's yellowed quite a bit.

Reply 50 of 84, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FuzzyLogic wrote:

I love those AOpen cases; they are built so well. I have two HX45s and one HX08. Regretfully, several years ago I painted the HX45s black because of paint scratches and yellowing plastic. The HX08 survives, but it's yellowed quite a bit.

I have a couple AOpen cases here as well (I like the beige AOpen cases a lot actually), but I misplaced my camera, was looking for it today for like 20 minutes or so and then I gave up.

I guess I'll have to try with my mobile and hope the pics turn out plausible enough 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 51 of 84, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I built my first server 4 years ago in an HX08 case. Good steel quality but the front panel doesn’t have the tightest fit and the plastic strength could be better. Don't drop these things they’ll dent from being too heavy. Regardless they are good looking cases with lots of bays.

The most durable cases I’ve ever owned are the Gateway 2000 P5-75 and P5-100 white full towers from early to mid 90's and the Enlight 72500SZ case.

Last edited by computergeek92 on 2016-11-24, 02:39. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 52 of 84, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. The HQ45 and the HX45 cases are nice. Inside they are the same, so basically they only have the look of them, as what makes them different from each other.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 53 of 84, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FuzzyLogic wrote:

I hate those Aopen cases.. They really look nice on the outside.. But ventilation is very poor on these.. And they are noisy as well.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 54 of 84, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's my HX08. It turns out that I left it mid project (a dual coppermine rig.) I found its feet, and I know the original case badge is somewhere.

hx08-1.jpg
Filename
hx08-1.jpg
File size
299.05 KiB
Views
File comment
HX08 front
File license
hx08-2.jpg
Filename
hx08-2.jpg
File size
461.48 KiB
Views
File comment
HX08 side
File license
Robin4 wrote:

I hate those Aopen cases.. They really look nice on the outside.. But ventilation is very poor on these.. And they are noisy as well.

Lol. Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfAdM7QNAng.

But I couldn't disagree more. They are made 1mm thick steel, not flimsy stuff you see nowadays. They are only as loud as the components you put inside of them. You can get silent Noctua fans for a dead silent rig. If you want more ventilation, then a dremel helps with that. Vintage computers weren't as hot and power hungry as computers of today, so I don't find it necessary to go overboard with case fans. But you can if you want too; they are very mod-friendly cases.

Reply 55 of 84, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Love seeing all these beige cases. Although they can yellow and require more maintenance to keep them beige, beige computers bring me back to before the millennium. Black or silver cases simply do not excite me. Even if I were to put a 386 into a black case, I won't get excited about using the system. I still use a beige keyboard, case, speakers, and mouse to this day on my "modern" system (which is 11 years old).

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 58 of 84, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Even beige plastic that I have left in the closet, no heat, no light, is turning faintly yellow.

Maybe you're a smoker or I’m just lucky when it comes to my collection. Some of these oldies never seem to yellow. I've collected for 5 years. None of my cases have yellowed yet. They look the same as when I found them, other than maybe a few extra scratches.

Weird thing is, I've owned my second hand Super Nintendo for exactly about 10 years. It came reasonably yellowed but has not yellowed any extra since I’ve owned it. 😕 Maybe it has to do with air quality..

Reply 59 of 84, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never smoked a cigarette my entire life.

I think it is related to how much of the fire retardant additive was used. Some of mine never yellow as well.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.