Optimizing a 386: questions

Topic actions

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi all,

I'm building a 386 computer and I bought some components I have yet to receive so I can't say much but the mainboard is a AT based small form with both cpu and cocpu sockets. I should receive also a Am386DX-40 with it.
I didn't see any controller connectors on the board so I should use an isa ide floppy controller card but I don't actually remember how things worked at boot? Do these cards has their own bios so they will try to boot from the disk or floppy or motherboard bios is still involved in it? And are any cards ok with it or I need to find the right one for the specific motherboard?
Anyway I should receive a controller card that I am not still sure it has both ide floppy connector so it could be only a serial parallel card.
Thanks for any advices.

[Update] System complete at least with the things I have got:

Soyo SY-019I Eteq version with 64Kbyte 20ns cache
Am386DX-40 ceramic on socket
No co-processor
8MB 30pin ram
107 or 512Mb Seagate
Trident TVGA9000i Rev.A 512kbyte
Sound Blaster Value CT2770
Kingston NE2000 ethernet
52X cd burner
145W supply

Last edited by 386SX on 2015-08-09, 13:41. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 31, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any ISA I/O controller with floppy and IDE ports will do. You just enter the BIOS and set parameters for HDD (newer 386 had Auto-detect HDD). Also set FDD to 3.5" 1.44MB. Select boot from A or C and you're ready to boot the system.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 31, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here i am, motherboard and components arrived.
The card is a Soyo SY-019I

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/S/SO … 9H-SY-019I.html

Processor
80386DX/CX486DLC
Processor Speed
33/40MHz
Chip Set
ETEQ
Max. Onboard DRAM
32MB
Cache
64/128/256KB
BIOS
AMI
Dimensions
245mm x 220mm
I/O Options
None
NPU Options
80387/3167

Now after first problems and after burned basically all day eating kcalories to arrive at boot 😁,
I booted and it see all my 8mb ram but I can't enter the bios cause it gives me a keyboard error.
I changed the bios battery using another I had soldering the wires. The ps2 keyboard I am using is quiet old (heavy and white) and never had problems with 486 and the ps2/din converter. No led shows up on the keyboard. Do you think it's a motherboard problem (keyobard circuit gone) or I just need an older keyboard?

Reply 4 of 31, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess the old battery leaked and damaged the surrounding area. You'll have to find the broken traces and retrace or rewire them - usually it's painfull work 🙁

If you're lucky... there might be some problem with the Keyboard BIOS chip. If it's socketed, remove it, clean the contacts and insert it back. It just might work.

Post a picture of your board so we can see where the problem is.

You can't install 386SX as it uses complete different socket. I highly doubt 386DX-20 to run at 33 or even 40MHz. You can try, but 33MHz first!

If you bought this board on eBay as used/working. Make a complaint.

Reply 5 of 31, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're right there are traces that are blu on the surface and corrosive acid has done some problems there... man... it seems to be at least two traces on that goes to two of the din pins...

Is it better for me to solder a wire ON the trace or connect the two extreme parts (from din to the last point of the rail?)

Reply 8 of 31, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

no way... still keyboard error even with the only trace that seems to be defective... led seems to light up all three for a while even caps lock respond but after ram test keyboard error... press f1...yeah....

Reply 9 of 31, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might be able to get by with using an electric paint pen and painting over the broken trace where it was dissolved. I haven't tried it myself but It should fix the connection.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 11 of 31, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh man I get to fix the trace it was the second one from the right of the din, I didn't expect it was just one... the multimeter is obviously a must without it it's impossible. The difficult is that there're really small trace point and the din connector is too close to the at connector... by the way now it booted and also my 3.6v 80mah battery is changed and ok.

A 386DX-20 can't run at its default freq with this chipset? I didn't want it to be too much fast.
And another question, there's the clock component that has been changed (is fixed manually) and report 80.000Mhz. Is the right one? Cause with the turbo enabled it seems to be really hot the am386 and i still can't run some program to test frequency.

Reply 12 of 31, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good job fixing the board 😁

If the board has fixed oscillator at 80MHz then cpu runs at 40MHz (if it's socketed you can switch for slower one - oscillator is always twice as fast as CPUs clock).

So you're trying to run DX-20 at 40? Good luck 😀 Try with turbo disabled, it will run at about 10Mhz. You're in luck that the board has socket and you can always switch for a faster cpu - I guess it will also take 486DLC - it is about 20-30% faster than 386DX.

Reply 13 of 31, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanx for the info! It support Cyrix in the bios! 😁

A strange thing i would ask is this: after installing dos in pure fdisk format way, i am testing some program but program tell me i am running in virtual cpu mode??
How can i switch in real mode i already expected to be in?

Reply 14 of 31, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Virtual CPU mode? That should not be enabled unless you are using EMM386 or an expanded memory manager like it. Try bypassing the startup files with F8, or making a boot menu with one startup entry with nothing but HIMEM.SYS and the display/keyboard stuff.

Reply 15 of 31, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bad morning after trying to change again the battery that probably was already low voltage and again keyboard error... i used another wire and make another trace. Now it seems to be ok again...

Reply 18 of 31, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess this Trident should be enough. It is not the fastest ISA card, but I don't believe it will hold you back on anything that is speed sensitive anyway.