VOGONS

PCIe devices on Windows 98 SE

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 107, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only the first 6200-AGP Models with active Cooling and full-PCB have 128BIT Memory-Interface. I am satisfied with 64Bit, because these cards are fast enough for my purpose, but I can't distinguish how performant these LE/SE/TC PCIe variants are ? I do own three AGP Version, they are all really good (beside the DVI-Output in small resolutions https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1026 … ange-this-thx-/ )
But I need the exact same performance of the AGP-Cards for the PCIe-Cards. Afaik there are no "normal" 64Bit NV44a PCIe Versions of the 6200 available. So I think the best way to go is the TC256MB/512MB Version.
It has the same 256MB DDR2 Ram with 64Bit onboard and can take up another 256MB to 512MB from the main memory. I hope I can deactivate that in the driver because 256MB dedicated memory is enough for me.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 22 of 107, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/101492-what-i … -e-video-cards/ What's that "UnofficialDriver) does it work or does it have (lot […]
Show full quote

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/101492-what-i … -e-video-cards/
What's that "UnofficialDriver) does it work or does it have (lots of) issues?
GeForce 7 --- AGP & PCIe (Requires UnOfficial Driver)
GeForce 8 --- AGP & PCIe (Requires UnOfficial Driver)

Currently I am thinking about building a very late Win98se machine. The machine will be a E620 FSC Desktop.
I'll downgrade the 2,8Ghz Celeron to the Celeron 420 because of the only 45Watt TDP.

It has onboard G915 but I think about using a PCIe X16 Card from either ATI or NVIDIA.

Is there a 6200 PCIe without TC, which means a same Card like my 6200 256MB DDR? for PCIe X16 passiv ?

***EDIT
I am checking out some further informations and now I am totally confused. There are several PCIe passiv
cooled 6200 versions out there. SE/LE/TC so what is the best card? In my other system I use a 6200
256MB DDR2 AGP card and performance is nice for my purpose. How about these PCIe Models, are they all slower?

Doc

"Unofficial Driver" means some person (not working for nvidia) took the latest driver and added in entries to the inf file manually for the cards. May work, may not work, I haven't experimented with this much myself yet.

Reply 23 of 107, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got an Asrock 4CoreDX90-VSTA with a PCI-e Radeon x700 working quite well with Windows ME. It's in the in-law's retro LAN, running Outlaws (with the beta Direct3D patch) and a few other games from the era. No problems so far.

Reply 24 of 107, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Due to the fact that I never get SB-Dos Support on I915, I stpped this project and went for I815/I845/I865 instead.
It's pretty hard to get a lowpowered cpu with less then 50 watts TDP for socket 478. LGA775 has the celeron 4xx with only 35watts,
but S478 is a real big problem. AMD has some EE cpu's which are under 50 Watts too, but the Nforce4 has no Win98 support,
so I will go for intel I815/845/865, which means AGP-4x GF6200.

If the LPT-ADLIB/SB will go further, perhaps I will return and go for LGA775 and PCIe again.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 26 of 107, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
villeneuve wrote:

Where did you guys download the Windows 98 drivers for the Radeon X8xx series? They are not on amd.com.

Here you can download the Catalyst 6.2 driver for Windows 98. They should also work for the X8xx series even that they didn't list it under the X8xx series section.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 28 of 107, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried to do a build with DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra D, Nvidia 7900GS and Audigy 2 ZS, dualbooting win98se and winXP. Turns out this motherboard is very bad for win98, other than the regular issues of no official win98 support and lack of drivers, it has some severe issues, like booting win98 really slow, like staying 15 minutes on the windows logo screen slow. Works fine in XP. Im not the only one, did some google research and found others with the same issue when trying win98 on that board, and no one found a way to solve it. It's probably best to keep to Intel chipsets for trying pcie graphics on win98

P.S. couldnt get the 7900 GS to work with hardware acceleration with none of 81.98, 82.16, sort of works with 82.69 but had to force-install it, same with the sound driver. Now it works in 3dmark99 max but vsync is on and cant disable it for some reason, tried with powerstrip, Im checking "disable vsync in d3d" but its still locked in 3dmark..

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 29 of 107, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you dont mind, not working shutdown Broadcom 5721M PCI-E Gigabit network card is working too, i didnt find any other PCI-E or onboard 1 Gbit card working, only PCI ones.

Update: There is some NDIS DOS driver way to make PCI-E working in WIndows 98, but i cant tell too much for you about it, Rayer make Realtek 1 Gb card working by such way..

Last edited by ruthan on 2019-01-02, 19:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 30 of 107, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
God Of Gaming wrote:

Tried to do a build with DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra D, Nvidia 7900GS and Audigy 2 ZS, dualbooting win98se and winXP. Turns out this motherboard is very bad for win98, other than the regular issues of no official win98 support and lack of drivers, it has some severe issues, like booting win98 really slow, like staying 15 minutes on the windows logo screen slow. Works fine in XP. Im not the only one, did some google research and found others with the same issue when trying win98 on that board, and no one found a way to solve it. It's probably best to keep to Intel chipsets for trying pcie graphics on win98

P.S. couldnt get the 7900 GS to work with hardware acceleration with none of 81.98, 82.16, sort of works with 82.69 but had to force-install it, same with the sound driver. Now it works in 3dmark99 max but vsync is on and cant disable it for some reason, tried with powerstrip, Im checking "disable vsync in d3d" but its still locked in 3dmark..

3DMark99 is a pain with Vsync, I've been unable to turn this off across several different cards, though I didn't pursue fixing it for too long...

Reply 31 of 107, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah, looks like itwas 3dmark99's fault, 3dmark2000 was unlocked and the performance was insane, at 1600x1200x32 Z24 I was getting over 800fps at some points during the demo, the benchmark gave me 23461 3dmarks at that res... my voodoo3 could only pull off 3224 3dmarks at 1024x768x16 Z16... Idk about game compatibility yet, but performance wise this card is a win98 monster

p.s. managed to disable it for 3dmar99 as well, the option was not where I was expecting to find it.. at any rate powerstrip is useless here, Im uninstalling that. 3dmark 99 pulled off 23518 3dmarks, oddly close result to the 3dmark 2000... well enough of that, time to start testing actual games 😉

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 32 of 107, by TomvB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2015-08-07, 02:31:
Here is a little list of PCIe devices that that I've tested successfully on Windows 98 SE, no special PCIe driver used. I've inc […]
Show full quote

Here is a little list of PCIe devices that that I've tested successfully on Windows 98 SE, no special PCIe driver used. I've included an updated NVAML.INF file for the NVIDIA cards with the 81.98 driver for autodetecting.

NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM) (NV44) 256MB 64bit DDR2
Device ID: 0161
Driver: 81.98 (4.14.10.8198)
Driver autodetects: NO
3DMark 2001: 7720
3DMark 2001: 10216 505MHz/715MHz

Comment: Using this for boot/Windows hard drive.[/code]

Do you have the complete driver package for me? I have problems with the 81.98 driver for the 0161 with some adjustments and missing the components from your .inf (hlp and dll files). The screen turns black/off/on sometimes when i'm clicking with the current driver in Windows 98SE. I added the device ids from your file to NVAGP.INF. Type: NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache

Any ideas?

-- Update --
Used wrong setup. Your inf is used in 81.98_forceware_win9x_international.exe. I will test it now.

-- Update 2 --
The screen is still turning off/on with this driver. I tried different resolutions and settings in the NVIDIA panel. For example, if I open and minimize explorer a few times, the screen is black for 1 second. It is related to the driver, but I dont know what exactly.

Please check Geforce 6200 PCIe Windows 98SE - Random black screen for the problem.

-- Update 3 --
It is not possible to fix this issue. Do not use this list to build 98SE machines with PCIe cards. It's not ok.

Reply 34 of 107, by b0700

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TomvB, if your card is PCIe download 81.98 from official site, run setup and let it error and close. find the extracted driver files in c:/nvidia.... replace the NVAML.INF there form the one above. no need to touch agp file and just run the setup from extracted c:\file and not the main download. before this, just uninstall your driver first. do update dx 9c from Microsoft site.

if it works, repack the driver from c into a zip and keep for future! goodluck!

Reply 35 of 107, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested that you can use AGP drivers for PCI-E cards, if card is supported by driver.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 36 of 107, by b0700

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am sure people are still looking for solution for retro builds so here are my results

Using unmodified ini download from here, my 6600GT PCIe works perfectly on all games and 3 versions of 3damarks i tested! Flawlessly!! chipset is 965
I put in a vanilla 6800 and had to put device id in 2 places in the ini, set the core line as NV30 just copying the device id details of 6600GT and installed. VIOLA: all works with 6800 in windows98se. all tests ok, all games ok!!!

so it does work, those who say it dont have not got it fixed!

Reply 37 of 107, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
b0700 wrote on 2020-06-18, 15:43:

all works with 6800 in windows98se. all tests ok, all games ok!!!

All games working are with Win98 impossible.. try some of these:
WIndows 98 + Geforce 6 which games )(demos) are working and which are not and maybe some fixes for them

Reply 39 of 107, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If want DOS audio, no otherwise yes, Rloew and others have / had it.