VOGONS

PCIe devices on Windows 98 SE

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 107, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saw on MSFN, something about that someone made working Realtek HD in Win98, or with Win 3.1 driver// but i dont remember details, or something like that, i tried multiple Realtek Gigabit drivers, but never won, but someone at least made working Dos driver for Win98, which is not great, but its working.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 43 of 107, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use this one with Windows 9x, Windows NT 4, and Windows 2000:

https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/pexusb7lp

It's compatible with the generic UHCI (USB 1.1) drivers shipped with Windows 98 and Windows 2000. EHCI (USB 2.0) works with third-party drivers.

Reply 44 of 107, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its just VIA, Startech thing are working but they are also expensive a often same as cheap ones, you try to search card with same VIA VT6212L with better price.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 46 of 107, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have a NEC OHCI/EHCI-based PCIe USB card:

https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=produ … &product_id=236

It also works with both Windows 98 and Windows 2000 using the included OHCI driver. It's a bit cheaper than the Startech card new, but I find that UHCI has broader compatibility with vintage software than OHCI.

Reply 47 of 107, by Crimson Tibbasim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been scratching my head off for a while now... since I'm trying to return, into retro PC gamming. Lately some of the hardware I'm trying to buy is starting to become more obscure and harder to find now. I still have a stash of SDRAM and DDR2 still lying around in my storage containers. CD/DVD drives, Floppy Drives and some spare PCI peripherals.

Although, PCI-E peripherals are everywhere and pretty much everything with in the mid-2000 era hardware is still easy to find and buy. Well except for the so-call high end stuff made for that era. Though I'm willing to get my hands on some PC cases and PCI-E graphics cards as well as USB hub ports. Just need to get my hands on a good hardware that can work good with Windows 98 SE and possibly Windows 2K (2000) Pro. Any ideas or suggestions for good hardware to dual boot?

I'm aware that I could have read some of the pervious posts, but I'm getting tired of reading.

Reply 48 of 107, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well.. there is few tiers for good HW combos.

Super Socket 7 with K6-2(+)/more expensive K6-3(+) - only AGP, ISA soundblaster - for max old games compatibility - Dos early / Win9x/Win2000 - i has same performance with PCem PII 300 - bellow, you can disable Caches and set multiplicators with SetMul, to get almost everything from 386 to PII 300. These already have onboard USB ports, but its good only for quick data transfer.. Alternative is PII 233 - which is only PII will enable some advanced clock fiddling see Phils review for that. Nice with some 3Dfx Voodoo 2/3 cards, Voodoo 1 is not fast enough if you like stable framerate.

Socket 370 - PIII tulatin (up to 1.4GB) - AGP/ISA something a bit faster, still good for DOS/Win9x/2000/early XP.. but so great DOS - clock and caches scaling.. I supports SSE instruction. I would recommend some Nvidia video card as Geforce 3/4 in AGP and PCI Voodoo is nice bonus.

After that there is not really limit up to X58/X79, last ones for Dos PCI audio +6 cores + HT.. still good even for new games, up to 24GB of RAM maybe more) you can still get quite good DOS / Win9x/ Win2000 / XP / Win7, even Win10 and new Linux, even MacOS.. - boot everyhing machine.. but you need couple of PCI-E GPUs per OS and more monitors inputs cables, Bios profiles.. disabling some PCI-E roots - slots per OS.
Sound cards - Aureal Vortex 1, Aureal Vortex 3(better, more expensive), Yamaha 724/744/754.. + MB with much PCI-E slots as possible, details are here:
X58/i865/V880 - Yamaha7x4/AurealV1/2 pure Dos7.1- compatibility list/research/ultim. drivers configs, WIP- gurus needed // There is also info how make sound working in Dos games, its per game basic, it needs sometimes a bit some fiddling..

Virtualization / Emulation is now also Quite good - look for PCem up to PII 300 MHz + Voodoo 3 DOS early Win9x if you have very fast CPU or Qemu3Dfx for Win9x faster - it doesnt need so fast CPU, but its much more fidding to get it working..

Reply 49 of 107, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Crimson Tibbasim wrote on 2021-05-21, 20:44:

I'm aware that I could have read some of the pervious posts, but I'm getting tired of reading.

Imagine how tired you'll get trying to finish building this PC.

Reply 51 of 107, by Crimson Tibbasim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-05-21, 21:23:
Crimson Tibbasim wrote on 2021-05-21, 20:44:

I'm not going to lie I've had some nights when I had to wait for a IBM 300GL 6277-55U to install Windows 98. Terrible nights, trying to install Windows 3.1, then Windows 95, Windows 98 SE and last Windows 2000. Do me a favor guys... DO NOT ATTEMPT IT! YOU WILL REGRET IT!

I was only trying to experiment this project for fun and it did work. But the time it took was not worth it... I could have done something else with my time.

Reply 52 of 107, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, someone was born to read, someone to lead 😀

Im often also in the mood not to read.. and first try, make some testing and after search for details.. Some guys are also sometimes clever or lucky enough to make things working with minimal study.

Reply 53 of 107, by Crimson Tibbasim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm fully aware that some games from the windows 98 era can run on windows 2000... but doesn't mean that most PCI-E cards can function well on it. I would like to try to test some of the PCI-E cards on a Windows 2000 before I can say "I'm right on".

Forgot to add this earlier...
*The year, bios firmware, software driver support, and bug patches are one of my biggest concerns of this challenge I'm attempting to overcome.**

Last edited by Crimson Tibbasim on 2021-05-22, 02:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 54 of 107, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 2000 works very well with PCI-e. One of my favorite platforms for 2000 is socket 775 with a core 2 duo. 2000 absolutely flys on the 775 platform. When I build my first 775 system based on the Nforce 680i sli chip set back in 07 I used to dual boot 2000/XP Pro Sp3 it's was a great set up. I really should install another hard drive back in the system and have it a windows 7 ultimate and 2000 dual boot

Reply 55 of 107, by Crimson Tibbasim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-05-22, 02:00:

Windows 2000 works very well with PCI-e. One of my favorite platforms for 2000 is socket 775 with a core 2 duo. 2000 absolutely flys on the 775 platform. When I build my first 775 system based on the Nforce 680i sli chip set back in 07 I used to dual boot 2000/XP Pro Sp3 it's was a great set up. I really should install another hard drive back in the system and have it a windows 7 ultimate and 2000 dual boot

Was there a major difference in boot up time and performance?

Reply 57 of 107, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm currently quad-booting win98se, win2k, winXP and win server 2003 on a socket A machine, and, from what I can see so far, 2000 and XP perform pretty much the same, I get just about the same 3dmark scores and the same game fps on both. WinServ 03 is noticably slower than them (in 3dmark scores and game fps). Win98SE varies wildly from game to game, with some running faster than 2K/XP, while others running slower.

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 58 of 107, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win2k will boot slower in general. It's more interesting, if you want to freely experiment with 8-bit and 15-bit color modes and other legacy stuff. Also easier to migrate OS between different systems and much less bloated with useless software for modern use. The price to pay for that is driver and software problems, which XP didn't had, due to huge difference in popularity.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 59 of 107, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-05-22, 12:05:

Win2k will boot slower in general. It's more interesting, if you want to freely experiment with 8-bit and 15-bit color modes and other legacy stuff. Also easier to migrate OS between different systems and much less bloated with useless software for modern use. The price to pay for that is driver and software problems, which XP didn't had, due to huge difference in popularity.

That's true. Windows XP had fast boot enhancements that wasn't available for Windows 2000. On capable hardware, Windows XP should boot faster than Windows 2000 and that also applies to virtual machines.