VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a HP Vectra VE computer case last Friday. The computer case had a physically broken VB-609 motherboard that I removed from the case and cleaned the dust. The RAM slots were damaged, so I didn't even think about trying to repair it. I have an old VIA motherboard that fits in the case, so I will use it.

The main question is that are the power supplies of HP computers ATX compatible or do they have some custom wiring or voltages? I compared the power supply to another PSU and noticed that the wiring seemed to be the same, but coloring was different. But there were voltages printed on the old motherboard around the connector.

connector_atx_pinout.GIF

When comparing to the above, the voltages printed on the motherboard around the connector were the same. Is there anything else I should take into consideration or would this be safe to use? I have heard that some brand PSUs may not be compatible and voltages may be different. The HP Vectra case is at least almost compatible, but I need to solder new connectors for LEDs and power on button.

Reply 1 of 6, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about the vectra VE, but I did successfully install an Asus P4P800-M into a socket 478 Vectra VL420 SF. The power connector on all HP power supplies I've seen have standard ATX wiring, and work with any motherboard. All it took was removing the cooler bracket from the motherboard and moving the cooler's backplate a few millimeters forward.

From pictures found online, it looks like the Vectra VE you have will take any micro-atx motherboard. It doesn't seem to have a bolt-trough cooler like my vectra VL420 sf, and the MB is a standard micro-atx job, so any micro-atx motherboard would work fine.

Reply 2 of 6, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Old topic, but new question ...

Does anyone know how to attach that 'front cable' of the case, to a different 'normal' motherboard ?
One that has the several 2-pin connectors for each function, and not this nonstandard combo version ?

This multicolored cable:

HP Vectra_01.JPG
Filename
HP Vectra_01.JPG
File size
147.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Original mobo looks like this:

HP Vectra_02.JPG
Filename
HP Vectra_02.JPG
File size
37.99 KiB
Views
File license

Vs MY motherboard:

Normal case pins.JPG
Filename
Normal case pins.JPG
File size
95.6 KiB
Views
File license

PS: I am NOT handy in any way, so any 'hacking' would be problematic, to say the least... 😕

Reply 3 of 6, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I remember correclty, this is what I probably did to my HP Vectra case:

1. Removed that white connector with pliers.
2. Separated the wires a bit on the flat cable.
3. Soldered new wires with connectors to the original wires on the flat cable.

If I have time, I can take some photos from the inside of my HP Vectra case. I haven't used that machine for a couple of years now.

Reply 4 of 6, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, soldering... I see.
Thankyou for the info.

Was hoping there would be an easier way, but...
(I really like the case though, or more correctly - it is among a very limited supply of such desktop cases, and looked like the best candidate so far)

Reply 5 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote on 2021-06-05, 16:07:
Oh, soldering... I see. Thankyou for the info. […]
Show full quote

Oh, soldering... I see.
Thankyou for the info.

Was hoping there would be an easier way, but...
(I really like the case though, or more correctly - it is among a very limited supply of such desktop cases, and looked like the best candidate so far)

It's really easy, like soldering a fan connector. I just had to do the same thing with a Dimension 4600.
You could also just pop the LEDS out and switches and replace them with standard pinout ones from a junk case if you don't want to splice up any wires.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 6, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

heh... sure, but I have never soldered a thing in my life, less touched or owned a soldering iron... hence my hopes for a simpler option, without having to buy an iron ++.
(and am bit short on spare parts, also liked to keep the original power button, which is the main issue for me)

Anyway, I have taken notice of all suggestions. Seems like there is no way around turning up the heat, but It is probably quite easy if I get around to it (although costly for such a single simple task, if you don't have any tools already).