VOGONS

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:
The answer to your question is complicated. Lets get the easy stuff out of the way first: - No external midi sound module for t […]
Show full quote

The answer to your question is complicated. Lets get the easy stuff out of the way first:
- No external midi sound module for the PC has a MPU-401 midi interface.
- All Roland true MPU-401 midi interfaces, supporting both "Intelligent" and "Dumb/UART" modes are ISA bus-based only on the PC.
- Only certain games require the presence of a true MPU-401 interface. Almost all games that support General Midi, Roland GS or Yamaha XG will work on a UART-only midi interface found on the Sound Blaster 16 and cards of a similar vintage.
- A Roland LAPC-I contains an MPU-401 interface and the equilavent of the Roland CM-32 LA sound module on an ISA card. (CM-32 is 100% compatible with the MT-32.)
- An Roland SCC-1 contains an MPU-401 interface and the equilavent of the Roland CM-300 GS sound module on an ISA card.
- A Roland MPU-401AT contains an MPU-401 interface and a connector that supports waveblaster-compatible midi daughterboards.
- On the above cards, the interface will allow the sending of the midi data to the onboard midi sound circuitry and to any external modules connected to the card at the same time.
- The Sound Blaster Pro and older cards use a different midi interface incompatible with the MPU-401.
- DOSBox can emulate a true MPU-401 interface well enough for any game that supports the Roland MT-32.
- Neither Windows nor Windows games care a whit whether the a sound card supports intelligent MPU-401. Only DOS-only games may care.
- The only games you need to worry about that may require a true Roland MPU-401 interface are games that support the MT-32 and do not support General Midi.
- Some games, Sierra adventures for example, have a fan patch available to allow those games requiring a true Roland MPU-401 interface to work with a Sound Blaster midi interface.

Does that sufficently plug the gaps in your knowledge?

If I have an A2000 with an A2286(8Mhz) Bridgeboard.
What should I do in order to get the MT-32 working on the PC-Side?

Three ISA-PC-Slots are available with the current setup:
- 08Bit Multi/IO (LPT/COM)
- 08Bit CT1350b
- 16Bit VGA (ET4000)

According to your info in this thread there is no way to connect this setup to a MT-32. No external connection and the CT1350b is incompatible as you wrote above 🙁
If I put a Midiquest in it, I'll have to take out the CT1350b because the other stuff is needed seriously.

Perhaps I could use an DAC on the LPT port, but a lot of stuff does not support the DAC, but the CT1350b.
Keep in mind, that there is only 8Mhz/286 and the LPT is an LPT2-Port because of the LPT1 is the one of the Amiga side which is no real LPT and useless for the PC-Side.

Greetings
Doc

Any Idea ?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 4 of 11, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx! but as you know 286/8! = so no dune1 or 2

But I think if I had to choose between CT1350b and MPU-401i with MT32, the combination MPU401i with MT32 will be the better one for a 286/8,
because I will play the old adventure-stuff (Sierra etc.)

glx seems to support the dac and a view games too (688 Sub, PrinceOfPersia).

has someone tested connecting an MT32 on a Gameport of a Multi I/O Card?
I think this will not work...or am I wrong?

Doc

LPT DACs in stereo

Reply 5 of 11, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

has someone tested connecting an MT32 on a Gameport of a Multi I/O Card?
I think this will not work...or am I wrong?

Multi I/O cards don't have MIDI so it does not work.

I have never had a real MPU MIDI interface and I recall all games I had worked perfectly with synth box connected to GUS or SB16 MIDI. Then again they were 386DX25/VGA maybe.

Reply 8 of 11, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

Thx! but as you know 286/8! = so no dune1 or 2

On the contrary, Dune 1 should perform very well on your system. I get very playable results with both the diskette and CD-ROM versions of Dune, using a comparatively lowly, 8MHz, V30-based system. Try it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Several 16-bit soundcards can be used in 8-bit slots, many of which feature UART MPU-401 support. A smaller subset of such cards can additionally "fake" intelligent-mode MPU-401 compatibility, thereby allowing everything but the Legend Entertainment titles to work properly. Mediatrix' AudioTrix Pro and Ensoniq's Soundscape line fall into this latter category.

In your case, and since you've specifically mentioned the Sierra adventure games, your best solution might just be a Sound Blaster 16, which provides the aforementioned UART MPU-401 compatibility, but also supports "SB MIDI," and therefore can be used with the "fan patch" that Great Hierophant referred to in your original post, as pertains to the SCI0 titles.

Still, and without knowing what you're using it for, is simply swapping the multi I/O card with the Music Quest card an option?

Reply 9 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On the A2000 mobo, you can add the missing ISA-16bit slots on the empty space and you'll have 3x16bit slots.
I've done it back then in mine when I had a GoldenGate 386sx bridgeboard installed, it worked perfect.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 11, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The multi I/O card is used for a iomega-zip with a Covox and the serial port is used for the mouse,
because the Hardfile is VERY slow and limited to 32MB and the Amiga-Mouse-Driver from the PC-Side is not compatible with win1x.

(but at the moment I have problems with the LPT2 port of the Multi I/O and the ZipDrive.
It is working fine with only an LPT2-configured card, but a Multi I/O and the same configuration the zipdrive does currently not work...still analyzing where the problem comes from...)

Reply 11 of 11, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

Thx! No SoftMPU for 286/8Mhz, but using the LPT-Dac with MPU401i (Midiquest) seems to be the best option yet.

Or better, use a Disney Soundsource with Midiquest to get more Soundsupport, i use a Soundsource Adapter along with a SC-7 on a 386SX Laptop to get FM Sound and MIDI Musik.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board