Worst video card ever, again

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 102, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-08-14, 17:57:
Inno3D also made those. And I think one other Taiwan/China based company too. But they probably just bought unsold chip stock f […]
Show full quote

just about the only implementation of this chipset

Inno3D also made those. And I think one other Taiwan/China based company too. But they probably just bought unsold chip stock from VIA.

candle_86 wrote:

R600 and all its deratives had broken AA/AF

First of all, AF wasn't really broken on R600 series. It's just wasn't very spectacular due to low amount of texture units. And secondly, was AA really broken? I doubt that. More likely it was just designed that way to be more flexible with upcoming technologies (deferred rendering, etc). R600 was very forward thinking chip, which failed due to lack of raw processing power.

No R600 used the shaders instead of decidated hardware like nvidia was to do AA, they corrected that with the R700 series, and went back to not processing AA/AF on the shaders.

Reply 101 of 102, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-19, 20:43:
386SX wrote on 2021-08-19, 20:23:

I remember every review underlined the 16bit "problem" even if far from be a real problem it was on the marketing side and nothing could solve that.

The thing with the 16-bit color mode on 3Dfx cards was that they were using dithering techniques so it won't look ugly as an actual 16-bit color mode and this led to people say that the image quality was blurred and smeared.

it's the filtering tech, not the dithering. There's multiple ways 3dfx dithers on the textures:

-2x2 matrix (often seen in Direct3D and UnrealEngine games)
-4x4 matrix (Often seen in Glide and OpenGL games)
-dither subtraction (tries to delete the dither out of blended polygons leading to larger noticeable dither-looking artifacts on overdrawn effects, often in Glide and OpenGL games)
-dithered LOD/mipmapping (applies a 2x2 matrix to the mip level switching leading to quasi-trilinear,optional)

and in many cases where there's plenty of blend overdraw, the filtering won't catch that since it works with a threshold so you'll get blurred details, purple bleeding, *and* obvious dithering! There's still no support for 24/32-bit textures either, so the 16-bit limitations can't be handwaved off with a leaning to filtering reliance on making up for it at a time when gamedevs were just starting to use true color texture formats, many with alpha layers that'd look terrible as RGBA4444.

If you really want top 16-bit rendering, there's those PowerVR cards as it's all an internal true color buffer which gets dithered to 16-bit in post, so there's never any of the overdrawn dither effects common with everyone else.

Last edited by leileilol on 2021-09-12, 20:12. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 102 of 102, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2021-09-12, 19:15:
it's the filtering tech, not the dithering. There's multiple ways 3dfx dithers on the textures: […]
Show full quote

it's the filtering tech, not the dithering. There's multiple ways 3dfx dithers on the textures:

-2x2 matrix (often seen in Direct3D and UnrealEngine games)
-4x4 matrix (Often seen in Glide and OpenGL gmaes)
-dither subtraction (tries to delete the dither out of blended polygons leading to larger noticeable dither-looking artifacts on overdrawn effects, often in Glide and OpenGL games)
-dithered LOD/mipmapping (applies a 2x2 matrix to the mip level switching leading to quasi-trilinear,optional)

and in many cases where there's plenty of blend overdraw, the filtering won't catch that since it works with a threshold so you'll get blurred details, purple bleeding, *and* obvious dithering! There's still no support for 24/32-bit textures either, so the 16-bit limitations can't be handwaved off with a leaning to filtering reliance on making up for it at a time when gamedevs were just starting to use true color texture formats, many with alpha layers that'd look terrible as RGBA4444.

If you really want top 16-bit rendering, there's those PowerVR cards as it's all an internal true color buffer which gets dithered to 16-bit in post, so there's never any of the overdrawn dither effects common with everyone else.

I stand corrected about techniques used on 3Dfx cards. I was confusing the things there.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS