VOGONS

First post, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having some problems with Intel Pro 1000 NIC. Windows 98 detects it correctly and works fine using Pro1000 drivers. My needs are just Windows / Samba file sharing, so don't really need to set up a gateway or let it connect to the internet (actually, WAN traffic for this machine is disabled on my home firewall).

Anyways, there are 2 issues using network on this machine:

1/ Boot up time increases like a 200% when the card is into place. I wonder what's Windows doing at that step and if there is a way to improve it. Also, on shutdown shows that "Windows is shutting down" screen, while when is unplugged it shuts down directly without any wait time.

2/ Booting up DOS mode doesn't let me LH MSCDEX util, it throws an "Insufficient memory" error when the NIC is plugged in, which is so strange 😕
MSCDEX can be loaded on lower memory without any problem, but really would like to get the extra memory using LH.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am using Phil's DOS Boot Menu.

Reply 1 of 4, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe your card has some kind of BIOS active or is configured as a HBA.

If your card has a BIOS enabled, you will have less memory for UMBs, that in turn will reduce your free conventional memory.

If your card is configured as HBA it may be trying to get some connection to iSCSI disks, causing longer boot times.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 4, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosfriend wrote:

1/ Boot up time increases like a 200% when the card is into place. I wonder what's Windows doing at that step and if there is a way to improve it.

This might be Windows trying to get an IP address via DHCP. Set a fixed IP address in TCP/IP properties and Windows should boot up much faster.

Reply 3 of 4, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dosfriend wrote:

Also, on shutdown shows that "Windows is shutting down" screen, while when is unplugged it shuts down directly without any wait time.

Windows 98 shutdown issues are not fun to figure out nor is it an uncommon problem.

Reply 4 of 4, by dosfriend

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This card has a BIOS PXE boot option. It will display some messages on boot and you can access its own BIOS through a key combination but that's just for adjusting boot priority options. Don't know how this can affect memory management. How could I check if is configured as HBA?

Already set up a static IP address, but the boot time remains the same, so at least we know that it's not because of the DHCP request.

Really appreciate all your help 😀