VOGONS

3dfx and 3D Glasses

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 57, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought one from my link and tried it. Supported top & bottom 3D fine which wicked3D uses. Most of these boxes support the same 3 different 3D formats, the top and bottom one wicked3d uses, an interlace format, and gpu shuttering. Honestly you're better off using nvidia's old stereo driver. As I said before, Wicked3D works by splitting the image in half, because of this, the image quality is reduced. The nvidia drivers do 3D a different way and don't suffer from this limitation.

Last edited by tgod on 2015-10-06, 22:19. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 23 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How terrible are we talking here? I'm not expecting miracles out of the thing... if it was that good it would have been way more common and more people talking about it. I assumed it was like on the same quality as the SMS... where there's an effect but it's more of a novelty rather than "experience". And I'm OK with that. We're talking about consumer level 3D from the 90s.

Reply 24 of 57, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because of the reduced resolution, higher resoluition=better. It starts to look decentish around 1024x768.
What do you have against trying the nvidia drivers? You can even get the box to work on a modern system with some games with 3rd party drivers like iz3d and tridef.

Reply 28 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, i got that simuleyes thing from the auction linked earlier. Is this all I need for the WickedGL or do I also need that separate box you linked to as well?

Reply 29 of 57, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The SimulEyes are going to be a serial port link, not sure if the drivers you want to use are going to support that (they work with a ton of DOS games and early-VR stuff though! Very fun setup.) You probably need the eDimensional VGA box as well. The SimulEyes glasses will plug into the eDimensional box and work fine.

I'd happily swap you my complete-in-package eDimensional setup for the SimulEyes if you'd rather. 😉 (PM me / hit me up on VCF or Pouet as Vogons frowns on trading.)

Sort-of relevant to this thread - I just picked up an Oculus Rift DK1 for dirt cheap. Of course no computer I own can run the Oculus drivers...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 30 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might just keep the Simuleyes thing because ti supports ROTT (and probably other Apogee stuff) and I'm interested in seeing it in action there.

Again, I'm not expecting much, but if it has somewhat of an effect I'll be happy. The SMS glasses on that system are fun, especially Space Harrier 3D. It doesn't make you feel like you're there but seeing the scrolling backgrounds and stuff looks really cool.

Reply 31 of 57, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My serial-port setup is basically a DIY SimulEyes. 😉 It works great for Descent 1 & 2 as well. The first time I flinched in my seat to dodge an incoming rocket I stopped caring about it not being full-immersion VR & lack of head tracking.

Actually those glasses look a ton better than the eDimensional ones as they sheild view to the sides. The biggest problem with mine is I can see a bright outside window in my peripheral vision when I'm playing, which really flickers with the shutter effect. Much more so than the actual screen.

Last edited by xjas on 2015-10-08, 21:30. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 33 of 57, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not yet, but they should work ... have tried the Russian 2.5D FPS Mad Space which goes pretty well. I've also played around with the Rend386 early virtual-reality environment engine a lot.

You can find the entire archives of PCVR magazine (1992~1994) as PDFs online which have a lot of info on these early setups. I got the schematic for my serial link box from Issue #3. 😎

Reply 34 of 57, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like fun. Looking forward to trying it all out when it arrives. Never played with 3D Glasses beyond the SMS and it seems like it was something cool for here and there in the 90s but nobody was biting on buying them new. Now they're not worth a lot so I can finally check it out.

Reply 38 of 57, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can guarantee those SimulEyes glasses will work with this eDimensional box, just plug in and go:

tgod wrote:

If you want I can post an iso of the eDimensional driver disc as well. I believe they 'hook' Direct3D or OpenGL so they might work with a Voodoo card using either API. Not so sure about Glide. (You could even install the drivers ahead of time and see if they work, the box is a simple pass-through and not detected by the PC.)