VOGONS

Duplicate Hardware in Your Collection

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 77, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only duplicate I have in my collection is a couple Toshiba T3100SX portable computers. They're identical copies of each other in every way, including the unfortunate fact that neither of them work because they both have the exact same problem and are beyond my knowledge and skills for repair. 😵

Reply 21 of 77, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
torindkflt wrote:

The only duplicate I have in my collection is a couple Toshiba T3100SX portable computers. They're identical copies of each other in every way, including the unfortunate fact that neither of them work because they both have the exact same problem and are beyond my knowledge and skills for repair. 😵

That's what they call "double trouble", right? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 77, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jesus Christ, Tetrium - you actually bothered to make that list?? And I bet you forgot something. My meagre selection of duplicates extends to 3x Pentium MMX 200s and 2x 3Com PCI cards (the same model that has already been mentioned. I used to have a butt-load of S3 Trio 64s but I got rid of them. Because they were duplicates.

*facepalm*

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 23 of 77, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it started with a ''retro itch'' and wanted to have a system build around a voodoo1 again. Then i bought a voodoo2 and build a system for that, then a voodoo3 etc. etc.
Then i wanted spares just in case a card would break, and a spare for that and a spare for that....

Then i started collecting every single platform from pentium1 and up (and everything needed as much spares).

In no time i had WAY to much stuff so i downsized a little but kept building the voodoo collection. I went to 95% Asus only for my mainboards, Creative only for soundcards and besides the voodoo's Nvidia only for graphics cards. It is again a big collection but it is nearly completed, not a lot of stuff i have left on my wishlist (a few will always be on it, as i like the hunt).

Now i have taken one last step further down: 486 territory. I'm building a 486 vlb system right now for fun, but i really think it is to slow for my needs. I am on the lookout for an Asus 486 pci board but for now the vlb will do. Why pci? It has to have voodoo ofcourse 🤣

I hope the 486 is not for me, as even a non Asus pci board is very hard to find (i don't use ebay). If i do find one and i like it: i need to find spares! 😵

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 24 of 77, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually have very little hardware that are identical but, I do have quite a number of "backup" parts in case my main retro gear do fail.
For example, I have one type of 386 motherboard (as well as the components that goes with it) but, a backup motherboard (and components) that isn't of the same brand. The same goes for my 486 retro gear.
Off the top of my head:
Two Intel Pentium 166MMX CPU's
Probably about 2 or 3 Sound Blaster PCI 128 sound cards (those seem to have dropped out of every second PC that I got from people who upgraded).
Two AMD 486 DX4-100 (WT) CPU's.

Reply 25 of 77, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AAlchemy 8264SB ^ ^ I plan to get both of them working together in SLI but since the two original TKPower PSU I have are broken I have to ask someone to build me a replacement one based on a DC-to-DC converter, and even then I'm still missing the SLI fingers...

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 26 of 77, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2x Sound Blaster 2 ZS (using one in my LGA1366 main rig)
2x Creative GeForce DDR (one VGA only and one with DVI. VGA output is bad on the last one)
2x Sound Blaster 32 (CT3620 and CT3670, 8MB RAM installed on both)
2x ATI Radeon 9500 (Scrapping one as it's gone bad)
2x AMD Radeon R9 290 (lending one to my youngest brother, the other one are flashed to R9 290X but not in use right now)
Multiple 3Com Etherlink XL (A, B and C models. A and B are great for Windows 98 SE as it has integrated drivers)

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 27 of 77, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brassicGamer wrote:

Jesus Christ, Tetrium - you actually bothered to make that list?? And I bet you forgot something. My meagre selection of duplicates extends to 3x Pentium MMX 200s and 2x 3Com PCI cards (the same model that has already been mentioned. I used to have a butt-load of S3 Trio 64s but I got rid of them. Because they were duplicates.

*facepalm*

No, that was from top of my head. If I were to actually go check all parts for duplicates, it would take at least a full day or so to go through all those boxes and I just don't have that time anymore.

And yes, I'll bet along with you that I forgot lots of stuff.

I collected so much stuff, much of it I didn't even knew what it was at the time and I had a hard time throwing stuff away, even 5 year old supermarket receipts I couldn't throw out (it has improved now...somewhat 😜 ).

And I made the same mistake with the Trio's, thinking they were crap. I thought they were crap because I had read so somewhere on the internet so I left them all on the curb (must have found more then 20 of them, many didn't have the extra memory chips and only had empty sockets, but still).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 77, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Duplicate hardware huh? Off the top of my head:

2x Core 2 Duo E8400
2x Pentium D 940
2x Pentium IV 2.8GHz (Northwood Core)
3x Pentium III 1.0GHz - two are 1.7v versions, one is a 1.75v version
2x Pentium III 933MHz
5x Pentium III 500MHz (Slot 1)
2x Pentium II 350MHz
4x Intel Pentium MMX 166MHz
3x Intel Pentium 133MHz
2x Intel Pentium 100MHz
3x Intel Penium 90MHz
3x Intel 486DX 33MHz

2x Athlon XP (Barton) 2500+
2x Athlon XP 2400+
2x Athlon XP 1900+
4x AMD K6-2 450
2x AMD 5x86 P75 133MHz
2x AMD 486 DX4 100MHz

4x Lucky Tech P5MVP3 (AT super socket 7, VIA MVP3)
2x Soyo SY-6BA+ III (slot 1, i440BX)
2x ECS P6VXA (socket 370, VIA Apollo PRO)

5x Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 CT6670 12MB (I know, I have a serious problem)
2x Diamond Monster Voodoo 2 8MB
2x Creative Voodoo Banshee AGP CT6750
2x STB Voodoo 3 3000
2x Leadtek A250LE Geforce 4 Ti4200 64MB AGP 4x
2x Leadtek A280LE Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB AGP 8x
2x Gigabyte MAYA Radeon 9000 (one is still sealed in box)
2x Leadtek Winfast PX6600 GT 128MB PCI-E both with boxes
2x Sapphire X1950 XT 256MB AGP

2x Creative AWE64 Value CT4500
2x Creative AWE64 Value CT4380
3x Creative Sound Blaster 16, different models
2x Sound Blaster PRO 2.0 CT1600
3x Creative Vibra128 PCI CT4810

5x complete slot 1 HP Vectra VL - don't remember the exact model, byt they all came with a 500MHz pIII cpu, on board matrox G200, crystal audio, 128MB ram and 10GB Quantum Fireball HDDs (most of witch are dead). I didn't buy these, and I'm not using any of them because they all lack optical drives (and require slim laptop ODDs and a special adapter + smaller ribbon cable). Got them from some business that was throwing them away. Same with the compaq machines below.
2x complete Compaq Deskpro PD 1000 - both 350MHz pentium II with 128MB of ram, 4GB HDD, ISA crystal sound cards and AGP Riva (vanta I think) video cards. One of the machines is missing a side cover 🙁

Skyscraper wrote:
This list would be very long if I included all items I have more than one of. […]
Show full quote

This list would be very long if I included all items I have more than one of.

Here are the worst hoarding examples.

Geforce 7800GTX 256, 5+
Geforce 7900GTX, 5+
Geforce 8800GTS 512, 5+
Geforce 8800GTX, 5+
Geforce GTX285, 5+

I really like all these cards and I do not expect the cards to last forever so it's good to have a few spares...

I also have 3x EVGA Classified SR-2 motherboards, two of them complete and boxed.

Ah so this is why I can't find any reasonably priced working 7900 or 8800 cards... Just kidding 😜

Reply 30 of 77, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I purchased a box of 10x TNT2 M64s for a retro lan, only used 2 or 3!

I also have ~8 Voodoo 2s and a number of Voodoo 3s. These cards are great so if I ever see them for sale cheaply I normally pick them up.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 31 of 77, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have many identical duplicates, except CPU's... Many duplicates from 286 to Athlon64 (some just double and some at least 5 pieces - all in all around 200CPUs).

4x Voodoo 1
3x Voodoo 2 (non matching for SLI)
4x Voodoo 3
2x Banshee
5x Geforce 2 GTS/TI

Many duplicate S3 PCI ones (Trio, Virge...) at least 15 pieces.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 32 of 77, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have like six Sound Blaster 16 cards and even a few duplicate models and also two of the exact same AWE32 card. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 33 of 77, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
This list would be very long if I included all items I have more than one of. […]
Show full quote

This list would be very long if I included all items I have more than one of.

Here are the worst hoarding examples.

Geforce 7800GTX 256, 5+
Geforce 7900GTX, 5+
Geforce 8800GTS 512, 5+
Geforce 8800GTX, 5+
Geforce GTX285, 5+

I really like all these cards and I do not expect the cards to last forever so its good to have a few spares...

I also have 3x EVGA Classified SR-2 motherboards, two of them complete and boxed.

Ah so this is why I can't find any reasonably priced working 7900 or 8800 cards... Just kidding 😜

I do have quite a lot of systems as well so many of the cards are in use. Most of the cards not in use are boxed cards in perfect condition that I am saving for a time far in future when they wont be as easy to find. I have actually (almost) stopped buying DX9* video cards the last 6 months or so but the ones I have no Siren can convince me to give up. 😀

I also have countless of broken cards stored away that I will fix when I retire 30+ years from now and acquire reballing gear, I don't think its likely I will find the time while working full time. 😜

*I know Tesla is DX10 but newer cards do a much better job in Windows 6.x, I use these cards with XP.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 34 of 77, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a particular point to keeping 8800GTX era cards around, other than period correct hardware? Don't get me wrong, I have one myself (faulty, after reflowing it about five times in the oven and it surviving for another couple of months each time I gave up), but there's much more modern hardware that's better.

The only reason I can think of is creating a hackintosh or certain Unix systems, but they should be able to use more modern kit.

Reply 35 of 77, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:

@kanecvr
nice collection of duplicates 😀
You can never have enough Voodoos 😁

I'd happily trade one for a working 8800GTX - all the samples I've come across are either dead or have been baked.

Skyscraper wrote:

I do have quite alot of systems as well so many of the cards are in use. Most of the cards not in use are boxed cards in perfect condition that I am saving for a time far in future when they wont be as easy to find. I have actually (almost) stopped buying DX9* video cards the last 6 months or so but the ones I have no Siren can convince me to give up. 😀

Same here - quite a few systems - I actually started picking up LCD monitors so I can have all my machines set up in one room. I on the other hand can be persuaded to trade some of my Voodoo 2 hoard if offered the right incentive.

ynari wrote:

Is there a particular point to keeping 8800GTX era cards around, other than period correct hardware? Don't get me wrong, I have one myself (faulty, after reflowing it about five times in the oven and it surviving for another couple of months each time I gave up), but there's much more modern hardware that's better.

The only reason I can think of is creating a hackintosh or certain Unix systems, but they should be able to use more modern kit.

The 7800/7900 series and 8800GTX are very special to me. My first real high end video card was a 256MB 7900 - first time in my life I could play ANY game and have it look good. The 8800GTX was my first "overkill" card. I managed to get my hands on a BbN sample soon after they launched - I could play all my games at crazy detail levels with perfect framerate. Although I'm not an nvidia fan, the 8800GTX is my favorite card. Ever.

Reply 36 of 77, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ynari wrote:

No not really, the 8800GTX is awesome and soon 10 years old but the 8800GTS/9800GTX/GTS250 is a more practial card for a high end P4/Pentium-D or Socket-939 PCI-E AMD system.

The GTX285 on the other hand is pretty much the optimal DX9 card (even if it is DX10 capable), its faster than all newer cards running DX9 in XP unless you use a modern I7 as CPU. I do not really know why but it probably has more to do with driver optimizations and overhead than the cards.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 37 of 77, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Next question: how many of you have had therapy for the issues that manifest in the above?

Bit personal, so I'm kidding, but you get my point 😉

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 38 of 77, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brassicGamer wrote:

Next question: how many of you have had therapy for the issues that manifest in the above?

Bit personal, so I'm kidding, but you get my point 😉

I think its more likely you need therapy for your compulsive worrying about other peoples therapy needs. 😜

When I was studying I always found that the people most in need of therapy were the ones studying to become psychologists.

Reply 39 of 77, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

I think its more likely you need therapy for your compulsive worrying about other peoples therapy needs. 😜

Hmm... you have a point. I was at a station once and saw some trainspotters. I found this amusing so I took a photo.

I then realised I was a trainspotter-spotter.