VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MSCDEX comes with DOS, VIDE-CDD doesn't, you can get it easily, though. Like here (its all the way down).
Put VIDE-CDD.SYS in C:\DOS, then add to CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\VIDE-CDD.SYS /d:MSCD001 

And add to AUTOEXEC.BAT:

C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

If you have UMBs, change "DEVICE" to "DEVICEHIGH", and if you have EMS add the "/E" parameter to the end of the MSCDEX line.

Reply 41 of 45, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DECtape wrote:

Also, the tyrian setup drops to just the cursor in the corner of the screen and hangs there whenever I exit it, is that normal?

Glad the sound works, that is the main thing.
That Tyrian Setup package was just crudely cut out of the full game to fit one floppy. It was just a quick hack, and possibly that has the side effect you noticed.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 42 of 45, by DECtape

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:
DECtape wrote:

Also, the tyrian setup drops to just the cursor in the corner of the screen and hangs there whenever I exit it, is that normal?

Glad the sound works, that is the main thing.
That Tyrian Setup package was just crudely cut out of the full game to fit one floppy. It was just a quick hack, and possibly that has the side effect you noticed.

Yeah, I hastily copied Jazz Jackrabbit Xmas 95 to the system by breaking it up across several floppies, evidently something went wrong as it throws an error when I try and run jazz but the setup works. If I run and exit the setup Tyrian is fine. But either way the sound works. I also tried the Doom sound test but no luck.

May your frames be high and your temps be low.

Reply 43 of 45, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just checked it myself:
Vortex 2 Soundblaster Pro emulation:
-causes the hang when exitting Tyrian setup.
-does not work with Allegro / Doom MBF (only FM music works). Edit 2017: it is because of the cwsdpmi dos extender used, replace it with dos32a.
-does work with Quake, for example.

Last edited by gerwin on 2017-08-29, 21:05. Edited 1 time in total.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 44 of 45, by DECtape

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:
Just checked it myself: Vortex 2 Soundblaster Pro emulation: -causes the hang when exitting Tyrian setup. -does not work with A […]
Show full quote

Just checked it myself:
Vortex 2 Soundblaster Pro emulation:
-causes the hang when exitting Tyrian setup.
-does not work with Allegro / Doom MBF (only FM music works).
-does work with Quake, for example.

Thanks, I found that if you run the Jazz Jackrabbit setup before Tyrian setup it works for whatever reason. Also I can't run the full game tyrian as it was evidently written in turbo pascal and doesn't like processors faster than ~200mhz, and gives me the runtime error 200. I'll have to try setting up a TSR program or something. I popped down to WalMart and got some blank CD's and the drive reads it great. Now I just gotta find some decent games.

May your frames be high and your temps be low.

Reply 45 of 45, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DECtape wrote:

What PCI soundblaster or soundblaster compatable or similar card should I get for the p3?

For DOS sound you'd better used a MB with ISA slots and ISA SB card. Or you get less compatibility and probably less correct sound somewhere.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide