VOGONS

First post, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this laptop many years ago. Back then the battery was still working, so I decided to install Tomb Raider and give it a spin.
The battery drained, the system switched off. At home I rebooted the system and all of the sudden my internal CD-ROM drive was "gone".

I tried to reinstall windows. Big mistake, I had no way to boot the cd. So I bought an external floppy drive. With the floppy drive I got a Zip100 drive for the parallel port to work.
Then I copied the files and installed win98se.

There is no CDROM icon anymore on "My Computer". I tried to install the Mitsumi driver that came with Windows 98SE. No dice.

Maybe you guys know a way to fix it?

Here are the specs:

Pentium 120MHz
32MB EDO-RAM
2GB HDD
Toshiba Tecra 500CDT
+external floppy drive
+PCMCIA (Netgear FA411 LAN)

Last edited by Arctic on 2015-09-25, 23:53. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If we have the same model of drive I could send you mine and then you would know if it was the drive or the system. Model number is XM-1502B N, dated April 1997. I've been hunting a floppy drive for mine for years - is yours parallel? I really wanted the Desk Station V,which allows you to add all sorts of expansion options such as SCSI, ISA and PCI cards, etc.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2 of 7, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool idea! Does the drive have to be "Toshiba Tecra compatible" or can it be any drive?
My floppy drive is a "Toshiba 3.5" FLOPPY DISK DRIVE" (ZA1215P02). It's for the proprietary floppy port on the side of the laptop.

Reply 3 of 7, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:

Cool idea! Does the drive have to be "Toshiba Tecra compatible" or can it be any drive?
My floppy drive is a "Toshiba 3.5" FLOPPY DISK DRIVE" (ZA1215P02). It's for the proprietary floppy port on the side of the laptop.

Yep, I need to get me one of those. I've seen the drive itself on eBay from a supplier not far from me, but I don't think the lead is included. Very hard to find nowadays.

In terms of the optical drive, I was trying to find out if our parts are compatible, but it turns out its irrelevant. I thought that Toshiba used proprietary drives because of the connector and form factor but it turns out its just a caddy:

20150925_102859.jpg

However, when I tried a random alternative drive in its place (a DVD / CD-RW model), the laptop would take ages to POST and then there was a significant delay before loading the Windows desktop. The only two drives I could get to POST were a Matsushita model and a Samsung / Toshiba model, so there's some kind of firmware check going on there. Sony and TEAC did not pass the test. Either way, the drives that did work were recognised by Windows 98 and read CDs successfully. DVDs did not work though, which is weird. I was unable to test DOS functionality as I use a proprietary driver, but I'm sure oakcdrom.sys would work with other models. So, your steps are:

1. Remove the drive and try it in another laptop (if you've got one).
2. Put an alternative drive in the Toshiba.
3. Follow the troubleshooting steps in the service manual if the drive turns out to be good.

Good luck! I've got a stack of replacement drives if you need a replacement 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 4 of 7, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I tried this:

I took out the caddy and put a matsushita drive from 1998 in it. The laptop took again ages to post. Once I am in Windows 98SE there is no "new hardware found" nor a CDROM icon in "My Computer"
But I'm sure this drive works. "CD ROM DRIVE Model No. UJDA150" "H/W:ver1.00 F/W:ver1.02"

Can you send me a drive that is verified to work? 😎
This is frustrating 😢

Reply 5 of 7, by coolty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arctic wrote:
Ok, I tried this: […]
Show full quote

Ok, I tried this:

I took out the caddy and put a matsushita drive from 1998 in it. The laptop took again ages to post. Once I am in Windows 98SE there is no "new hardware found" nor a CDROM icon in "My Computer"
But I'm sure this drive works. "CD ROM DRIVE Model No. UJDA150" "H/W:ver1.00 F/W:ver1.02"

Can you send me a drive that is verified to work? 😎
This is frustrating 😢

Hi,

I have a very nice condition Tecra 500CDT with working CDROM drive, it has windows 95 on it. I would be willing to sell the whole thing if you're interested.
😎

Reply 6 of 7, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
coolty wrote:

I would be willing to sell the whole thing if you're interested.

Hello and welcome to Vogons. You should know that sale and trade is not allowed here. Just a friendly reminder 😀

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database