VOGONS

First post, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So after a long while of deliberation, collecting parts, and finding the time, I've finally put together my first retro rig. It's intended do be a 98/xp build, possibly using a separate config ms-dos mode. Yes, the grossly overkill specs are mostly for forwards compatibility with xp games while still supporting win98 and dos per wiki reccomendations.

ASRock 775i65G R3.0
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 SLACQ 2.66GHz 8MB 1066MHz Quad-Core Processor
500GB Momentus XT SSHD(had it lying around from an old modern build)
2GB = 2 x 1GB DDR400
Nvidia GeForce FX5950 Ultra 256MB 4/8X AGP
Sony 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy - MPF920
Aureal Vortex2 SQ2500 Optical AU8830 A3D Rev.C PCI

I've managed to get a vanilla install of 98 working with 48-bit LBA on a ~200GB partition, and the system.ini fixes for >1GB, at least until I installed unofficial service pack 3.5. Thankfully, this is as easy as loading up linux and redoing said tweaks.

Of course, even when getting drivers working I'm still getting missing .vxd errors, various other non fatal pop ups related to drivers, etc, and the simple fact that the amount of patching win98 can have/needs is... plentiful to say the least. I mean there's heaps and heaps of them:
http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/91-windows-9x … ember-projects/
http://www.mdgx.com/newtip98.htm

In addition to this, there seems to be multiple ways to manage memory in ms-dos mode as well:
http://www.flaterco.com/kb/DOS_W98SE_general.html#DOS
Phil's MS-DOS Mode Tutorial: Working Memory, Mouse, CD-ROM and Sound Blaster 16/32/64 in Windows 9x MS-DOS Mode

Basically, I'm feeling overwhelmed by all of this, but I can't help but feel that most users on these forums don't necessarily use each and every patch that comes along. Basically:
1. Should I just use Soporific's Windows.98.UBCD and call it a day? I hear it has compatibility issues with later patches however.
2. Is there some compilation of patches that really covers everything? Is it autopatcher, unofficial service pack, wupg, or a combination of them?
3. If neither of the above, are there a couple crucial ones that I could get while ignoring the rest?
4. Is there a more general dos setup like that described at flaterco, or is phil's method of having more than one loadout ideal?

Reply 1 of 46, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I can imagine that your project is a difficult one combines with that this is your very first retro-rig attempt, you might have set your goals quite high (maybe a little bit too high for your first attempt.

As I see it, I can give you 2 tips for now:

1) msfn is a forum that I've known for a long time (I even registered there and posted a little bit, but since then I've forgotten my login data (don't even remembered what email I registered there with) and never bothered to create a new account) and the folks there always seemed very helpful. As I think the people over on msfn have (way) more knowledge about the software that is made available there, so my suggestion would be to create an account there as well and ask over there for help.
Not because the people from vogons know very little (far from it! 🤣 ) but the people over there have more in dept knowledge about their own projects.

2) I can very much recommend you first build a 98SE-only rig or 2 so you get to know the 9x OS a bit better as this will be a (much) easier for you to get to know the 9x quirks and rigs like these, the knowledge about these retri-rigs is extremely vast! 😀

Hope this helps, even though I haven't answered any of your questions directly.

One last tip: I'd guess it's ok to ask questions about a specific rig on vogons and on msfn simultaneously (it might be handy to crosspost the links to the relevant threads to eachothers forums to make it easier for both communities to help you, just my €0.02 😀

edit:
I have used both the unofficial 98SE service pack (older one, 2.0a or something?) and an older version of autopatcher (can't remember the version). I used the unofficial Dutch version and it worked quite well for what I wanted. My motivation was mostly as it had USB mass storage drivers and some of the other tweaks and patches were very nice also.

I preferred the unofficial Service Pack (aka SP) to autopatcher, but that was more a personal preference.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 46, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks so much for the replies.

Yeah, the more I've read at msfn, the more I've realized that while a rig that covers games from DOS to mid 2000's would be ideal, I've also gotten myself into a world of trouble haha. I even almost gave up, but then suddenly got a burst of motivation once I had a better plan of what to do.

So far I've learned that the unattended boot cd was actually just a slipstreamed extension of autopatcher, which is obsolete. In fact, I've found that patches labeled OLD on MDGX actually mean that they're obsolete likely by unofficial service pack, not because they have a newer version floating around like I originally thought. Of course, another good way is the fact that many msfn/mdgx links that are dead usually end up being things that were thrown into unofficial at one point or another.

My mistake was that just because Win9x CAN be tweaked to run high ram doesn't mean I should. I've tried every system.ini configuration which while got the system bootable, no DOS window or batch file would work, leading to a ton of driver installation issues.

But hey, I already have a working machine and am willing to do this, so I might purchase rlowe's patch. Would you recommend this, or any of is other pricey software 😒

Reply 4 of 46, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree. The mgdx page's hypy walls of text reminds me to not patch...so I didn't. 😀

If there's any "patch" I install, it's KernelEx just to get my powervr working with newer UE1 titles.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 46, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried the RAMDRIVE approach? Create a big RAM drive on the top of the RAM so that there is less than 1GB available for Windows 98?

IMHO one should only install the patches that are actually needed on that machine. Other than 48-bit LBA and stuff related to running with over 1GB I would leave it vanilla.

Reply 6 of 46, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rishooty wrote:

ASRock 775i65G R3.0

I've built a win98 rig around this board and have had no issues whatsoever. I didn't use on board audio so I just installed the chipset drivers.

rishooty wrote:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 SLACQ 2.66GHz 8MB 1066MHz Quad-Core Processor

Win98 and all win98 compatible games and apps have NO multi-core support. The CPUs other cores are lying dormant. I've used an E6600 on the 775i65G and disabled one core in BIOS. I later installed winXP on the machine for dual-boot and enabled the second core.

rishooty wrote:

500GB Momentus XT SSHD(had it lying around from an old modern build)

- I once used a 250gb HDD for a win98 build. I had a 10gb first (boot) partition, then split the rest of the space in two large NTFS partitions that can be read in 98 using a utility from Paragon - Paragon NTFS I think.

rishooty wrote:

2GB = 2 x 1GB DDR400

I've never been able to make win98 run with more than 1280mb of ram. More thaen that and it will throw an "Insufficient memory" while starting up. You should only have 512mb in the machine when installing win98 or it setup might not complete or windows might not load. You can modify system files later on to support 1024mb of ram. If you really want to run 2gb on win98 either shell out 20$ for some dude's obsolete patch and have win98 read 2gb it will never use, or set up a ramdrive in DOS (1.5GB out of 2Gb would be perfect) and use that as a Swap partition in windows. It will really speed up the system. The ramdrive will be set up right before win98 starts and would not affect other OSes like winXP (if you plan to dual-boot)

rishooty wrote:

This is a really underpowered card for the system you built. I'd recommend a 9800pro or 9700 if you really want a card from that period. The 5950 should be capable of ~15000-16000pts in 3dm01 on your configuration, while a 9800pro will score 20000-21000. A Geforce 6800 would be a more appropriate card for your build and it does have win98 drivers.

Reply 7 of 46, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, I haven't tried the RAMDRIVE approach.

I only picked the card because I heard later ones have a bunch of issues on the dos/98 front despite working anyway. I dunno there's a whole thing on the wiki as to why 6800's and amds are a bad idea.

And those were exactly the answers I was hoping for. I really appreciate how much development went into 98 over the years, but it's so fragmented it's ridiculous. It's almost Linux community fragmented. It leaves me wondering why everything hasn't been rolled up in unofficial service pack yet. I know some of the issues involved are that win98 somehow isn't abandonware yet, and that some of the best patches are intellectual property as well.

So yeah, that's gonna be my new plan, starting over:
-Remove 1GB to make life a hell of a lot easier for now
-Gparted: Create 200GB Fat32 for 98/Create 200GB NTFS for XP/100GB for Linux Mint
-48-Bit LBA and temporary system.ini settings between install reboots
-According to this thread http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/118097-day-to … than-1-gib-ram/, the most relevant setup seems to be Retrowish's with a few modifications:

Patches:
-KernelEx
-Unofficial Service Pack 3.50(Xeno's vcache fix included)
-Xrayer's safe mode

config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.EXE /NUMHANDLES=64 /VERBOSE
(HIMEM.EXE is a renamed HIMEMX.EXE, for use with xRayeR's Safe Mode patch)
INSTALL=C:\WINDOWS\XMSDSK.EXE 393216 /T

system.ini:
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
MaxPhysPage=48600 ; 1158 MiB
MaxFileCache=393216
vmm32.vxd: plain vanilla (with 4.10.0.2222 vcache.vxd inside), VMM.VXD: original 4.10.0.2226, IO.SYS: with xRayeR's patch for Safe Mode

This seems like it would cover everything I need. Go for it? Any other suggestions?

Reply 9 of 46, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:
rishooty wrote:

win98 somehow isn't abandonware yet

It sold millions. Why should it be?

Well of course it was successful back in the day. But does it actually still make any profit today? Just curious

[UPDATE]
Heh, well waddya know! It seems the creator of Unofficial service pack knows that the state of patches is a complete mess, and his install instructions are basically the "recommended and compatible" list I've been looking for! Of course in addition to my needed lba and memory nonsense.
https://www.techtalk.cc/viewtopic.php?f=1047&t=65

Installation Guide: […]
Show full quote

Installation Guide:

[1] Install Windows 98 Second Edition (with or without 98lite).*
[2] Install all drivers for your hardware.
[3] Install Internet Explorer (any version).*
[4] Install latest DirectX 9c.*
[5] Install latest Service Pack 3.x (Main Updates).*
[6] Install optional components of Service Pack 3.x.*
[7] Install MS Office.*
[8] Install KernelEx, 98SE2ME, Revolution Pack.*
[* = Optional]

[COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC]
LeiLeiLol, lemme tell you how much I frickin love openarena. 11/10 better than quake 3 or live combined.

Reply 10 of 46, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know you've already said that you're starting over, but I'll offer my suggestion anyway: Use the KISS method. Yeah, lots of folks have been able to get Win98SE running on C2D and C2Q systems, but that is so far overkill as to be an exercise in absurdity. There are good and valid reasons for doing that, but if you want a Win9x retro PC then build a Win9x retro PC. For fewer headaches and less hassle, give Win98SE what it is happiest with:

Intel Chipset - 440BX, i810, or i815.
Intel CPU - Celeron, Pentium 2, or Pentium 3.
RAM - 512mb (or less). There are no Win9x-only games that require more than 512mb RAM anyway. I seriously doubt there are any games that run under Win9x that require or benefit-from more than 512mb. However, there are some games that freak out with too much RAM. Janes Longbow II, for example, with more than 320mb.
Optical Drive - Any PATA IDE CD/DVD should be fine.
HDD - PATA IDE.
HDD - Up to 127gb, depending on hardware/firmware. 40gb or less if you're unsure.
Video - 3dfx 3000/3500, 3dfx 5500, or NVIDIA GF4 Ti4x00 or FX 59x0 card. Radeon cards should be avoided for Win9x legacy systems.
Sound - For a motherboard with an ISA slot, get an AWE64 Value and save your money and sanity. Get an AWE64 Gold if it really matters. If you don't have an ISA slot, get an SB Live CT4620 if possible. If not, get a CT4830 or other common 2nd-gen variant. Avoid 3rd-gen SB Live 5.1 variants. See here for a bit more info.
USB - Stick with onboard USB v1.1 if you don't think you'll need to be transferring huge files back & forth. If you don't like Win9x networking in combination with Vista/7/8/10, get an NEC-based PCI USB 2.0 adapter for faster data transfers.

Nowadays, the only patches I use are the unofficial SP v2.1a and the NUSB mass-storage-drivers patch. Even then, I don't install all of the options in SP v2.1a. For example, I always stick with IE v5.5 and avoid IE 6.

I'm going to be doing a new build with parts from my junk bin real soon, so I think I'll document what I do step-by-step this time. Everybody here has their own different (but equally valid) ways of putting a system together. Maybe we could start a new thread where we each post our step-by-step methods for getting things working. Even after all these years, I still learn new things from the folks here and I'm sure that such a thread would lead to new ideas and insights.

Reply 11 of 46, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tbh, the other main reason for this overkill build was quite honestly, having the newest components and fitting it into a microATX. I like the idea of long lifespan and forwards compatibility. At the same time, I completely understand where you're coming from. I was originally going to go with vodoo5 awe64 gold originally, but don't have the space for a massive tower atm, at least without it being an eyesore.

Basically here's how its gonna go. I'll start with my plan of getting it working with the bare minimum needed to get dos prompts working with high amounts of ram, then install all of the drivers, unofficial service pack, etc. If it works cool.

If it doesn't work, limiting it to 512mb would defeat the xp and linux partitions entire purpose, in which case I'll start over with said specs. Of course, keeping everything except the motherboard and what's on it since they're all perfectly good. Then hope I can find a pentium III micro-ATX or smaller. I also completely agree with more step by steps and documentation, as I said, I feel information in these communities are as plentiful as they are disorganized so any addition to the small list of "go-to" places would be great.

Reply 12 of 46, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When it comes to my Win9x and even my XP boxes, "forwards compatibility" doesn't even get considered. I know that lots of folks here dual-boot various operating systems, but unless you're really pinched for cash or space it just seems like an unnecessary headache. Having dedicated systems for Win9x, XP, and newer just makes things so much easier; there's no need to consider the requirements of a secondary OS when planning a build. KVM switches are available if you want to keep things semi-organized.

If size difference between an ATX mid-tower and an mATX case is important, then I would suggest an AMD 754 or 939 as those both had mATX options available with Win9x-compliant drivers. Also, in that case you could easily accomplish your goal of triple-booting Win98SE/WinXP/Linux.

An Athlon 64 3700+ along with 2GB RAM would give you the flexibility you need. Get a GF6 6800 GT/Ultra for speed, or use your existing FX 5950 for greater compatibility. This seems like one of the truly good multi-boot configurations, but you'll need to get the R. Loew RAM patch to avoid problems in Win98SE. However, it is probably a small price to pay for the sake of considerable convenience.

Reply 13 of 46, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rishooty wrote:

No, I haven't tried the RAMDRIVE approach.

I dunno there's a whole thing on the wiki as to why 6800's and amds are a bad idea.

That's just dumb. Win98 will run great on anything up to socket 939 and some AM2/AM3 board as well provided you run a PCI-E graphics card with win98 drivers like a 6600 or 6800GT. Proof: Win98 Socket 939 Voodoo 2 SLi Build! (a.k.a. Glide Overkill) - AMD rig with a Geforce 6800 running win98. It was easy to set up as well.

rishooty wrote:

-Gparted: Create 200GB Fat32 for 98/Create 200GB NTFS for XP/100GB for Linux Mint

As far as I know it's impossible to create FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB. I've played around with 3rd party software to allow larger partitions and it always ends up corrupting the data. I'd recommend sticking to 32gb partitions for fat32. If you really want 200Gb partitions, install Paragon NTFS for windows 98 -> after creating the initial 10gb partition with FDISK (witch will probably NOT identify your HDD's correct size anyway), take the HDD out, put in in a PC running XP or newer, and partition the rest of the drive to your liking. If you have Paragon NTFS installed win98 will read / write on NTFS partitions w/o issues. Just don't try to make it read anything larger then 1.5TB or it will hang.

P.S. If you don't partition your HDD with FDISK off the win98 boot cd your machine might not boot, even if you successfully get past the first step of win98 setup.

Reply 14 of 46, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

As far as I know it's impossible to create FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB. I've played around with 3rd party software to allow larger partitions and it always ends up corrupting the data. I'd recommend sticking to 32gb partitions for fat32. If you really want 200Gb partitions, install Paragon NTFS for windows 98 -> after creating the initial 10gb partition with FDISK (witch will probably NOT identify your HDD's correct size anyway), take the HDD out, put in in a PC running XP or newer, and partition the rest of the drive to your liking. If you have Paragon NTFS installed win98 will read / write on NTFS partitions w/o issues. Just don't try to make it read anything larger then 1.5TB or it will hang.

P.S. If you don't partition your HDD with FDISK off the win98 boot cd your machine might not boot, even if you successfully get past the first step of win98 setup.

FAT32 works just fine > 32 GB. I believe the 32 GB limit was imposed by the Windows 2000 and XP formatting tools. In fact, back before it was "retro" I had a 40 GB Windows 98 system that worked just fine. If in doubt, use Linux mkdosfs to create the file system.

Reply 15 of 46, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FAT32 works fine up to 2TB. AFAIR Windows 98's fdisk has cosmetic issues past 64GB, and scandisk has some issues past a certain partition size, but the system itself is fine.

Reply 16 of 46, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

FAT32 works fine up to 2TB. AFAIR Windows 98's fdisk has cosmetic issues past 64GB, and scandisk has some issues past a certain partition size, but the system itself is fine.

This is correct. I use the Win98SE fdisk all the time to create partitions up to 120GB. If there is a limitation, it is hardware/firmware based. My KT7A boards don't support hard drives larger than 127GB. I can get around this by using a Promise Ultra 133 controller, but I don't bother. I just use 120GB drives or smaller.

As you mentioned, the problem is "cosmetic"; you can't specify an exact numerical value for the size of your partitions. You must create your partitions as a percentage of the drive. For example, to create a 60GB partition on a 120GB drive, you would choose 50% as the size for your partition. To create a single 120GB partition, choose 100%.

Last edited by KT7AGuy on 2015-12-06, 00:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 46, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mean, there's no real debate as to whether or not the hardware works. It does, and I had a 200GB partition before. My issue is 100% ram stopping installers from running properly at the moment, because when i installed drivers tediously and manually they worked. I'm really only restarting because now that I realize this, many things including 98 itself probably weren't installed properly. Also, one of the updates I should've never applied(WUPG98) messed up my system.ini, config.sys, and various other things with what it thought was "optimal".

So my primary concerns at the moment, are getting it working with 2GB ram installed, and getting aureal vortex soundblaster emulation working in DOS which I hear is a WHOLE other story but not a big loss if it doesn't work. So basically my backup plans are:
1. Do everything above, see if xmsdisk fixes what I couldn't before.
2. Shell out for Rlowe's, which should probably fix it.
3. If for some reason I'm not satisfied even after Rlowe's, start build anew, 100% pentium III with ISA AWE64 Gold, Voodoo Cards, etc. I've had terrible luck finding an micro-atx isa, so i'm pretty convinced they don't exist. Might even just go with Phil's 4 in 1, which looks like an intriguing build.
4. Bang my head against the wall, give up, and give GOG.com my money.

Reply 18 of 46, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

rishooty,

I ran Win98SE since 2002 with 768mb RAM in my KT7A systems. It wasn't until recently that I actually benchmarked them and found that they run much better with just 512mb in them. I have no idea why. I just know that they all run better with 512mb or less, even after tweaking system.ini, etc. I don't own R. Loew's patch, but I hear it works great. I just don't have a need to run more than 512mb RAM in any of my Win98SE systems, so I haven't bothered with it. Indeed, my Win98SE systems ran better with less RAM. Check some of tincup's posts. He uses the R. Loew patch with some pretty unique configurations to great success!

Reply 19 of 46, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I decided to do a detailed write-up of how I usually configure my Win98SE systems. I usually install more software than just this, but this what I would consider a baseline for my configurations. Please bear in mind that I do not run more than 512mb RAM. These instructions assume that you are using between 256mb and 512mb RAM. If you are using less or more RAM, then you'll want to configure your system.ini file differently. Here we go:

Basic Generic Win98SE Setup Instructions

Disable ACPI
If your BIOS has an option for disabling ACPI, then you should disable it. Additionally, set the BIOS option for "Plug 'n' Play OS" to "YES".

ACPI Enabled
If your BIOS does not have an option to disable ACPI, set the BIOS option for "Plug 'n' Play OS" to "NO".

Hard Drive Setup
Create a single primary FAT32 partition and format it.
Create a "C:\SOURCE" directory.
Copy the entire contents of your Win98SE disc to "C:\SOURCE".
Remove the CDROM and boot with the Win98SE Boot Disk.

If you were able to disable ACPI in your BIOS, install Win98SE without ACPI by running this command:

c:\source\setup.exe /p i

If you were unable to disable ACPI in your BIOS, install Win98SE normally by running this command:

c:\source\setup.exe

Install Win98SE

If your motherboard is Intel 440BX, i810, or i815, install the Intel INF v3.20.1008 chipset drivers (infinst_enu.exe).
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/424 … Series-Chipsets

If your motherboard is VIA, install the 4in1 v4.43 chipset drivers (4in1443v.exe).
https://d34vhvz8ul1ifj.cloudfront.net/Driver/ … A_4in1_443v.zip

If your motherboard is VIA, install the VIA USB Filter Patch v1.10 (usbf_110.zip).
https://d34vhvz8ul1ifj.cloudfront.net/Driver/usbf_110.zip

A note regarding 3dfx Voodoo 2 cards and VIA motherboards:
The v3.03.00 drivers are slightly older than the v3.02.02 drivers, even though the version number is higher. The v3.03.00 drivers were designed for DirectX 6, while v3.02.02 drivers were designed for DirectX 7. Due to a flaw in the design of some VIA motherboards, the v3.02.02 drivers will often cause lockups and other undesirable effects. There is no reliable, documented way around this. The v3.03.00 work just fine. USE THE v3.03.00 DRIVERS! Better yet, use the unofficial FastVoodoo2 drivers that have this problem fixed.
http://falconfly.de/voodoo2.htm

Install FreeWheel v2.4
https://web.archive.org/web/20071021005734/ht … /freewheel.html

Copy everything from "C:\SOURCE\TOOLS\OLDMSDOS" to "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND". No need to overwrite anything.

Copy everything from "C:\SOURCE\TOOLS\RESKIT\HELP" to "C:\WINDOWS\HELP". No need to overwrite anything.

Copy "VBRUN300.DLL" to "c:\windows\system"

A note about DirectX:
Win98SE includes DX6 preinstalled.
If you have a DX8 video card, then install DX 8.1B (DX81eng.exe).
The final version of DirectX 9.0c for Win98SE is dated 08 Dec 2006 (directx_dec2006_redist.exe).
http://falconfly.de/directx.htm

Install video card drivers.
http://falconfly.de/voodoo1.htm
http://falconfly.de/voodoo2.htm
http://falconfly.de/voodoo3.htm
http://falconfly.de/vsa100.htm
https://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_archive.html
https://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_45.23

Install Ethernet drivers, if necessary.
Make sure TCP/IP is installed and working.
Set Primary Network Logon to "Windows Logon" to avoid password prompts.

Install Sound drivers, if necessary.
NOTE: If you're using an SB16, AWE32, or AWE64, you do not need to install anything. Win98SE has drivers for these sound cards built-in.
OPTIONAL: You may consider updating the built-in drivers with "sbw9xup.exe" provided by Creative Labs.
http://support.creative.com/downloads/downloa … nDownloadId=417

Install PS2Rate v0.4
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ps2rate.html

Replace the installed Win98SE versions of ScanDisk and Defrag with the WinME versions. Just overwrite the existing files with the WinME versions:
c:\windows\defrag.exe
c:\windows\scandiskw.exe

Install EndItAll v2.0
by Neil J. Rubenking
First Published in PC Magazine, US Edition, October 16 2001, v20n17
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,697,00.asp

Install Microsoft Plus!98 with the following options:
Deluxe CD Player
Desktop Themes
Disk CleanUp Add-Ons
Maintenance Wizard
Organic Art ScreenSaver

Install Microsoft Internet Explorer v5.5 SP2
(Without Flash, ShockWave, NetMeeting, and Outlook Express.)

Install Media Player v6.4 Codecs Pack (wmp6cdcs.exe)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4621
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/conf … on.aspx?id=4621

Unofficial Windows 98SE SP 2.1a (sesp21a-en.exe) with these options:
Main Updates
Command Prompt Here
New Animated Boot and Shut Down Logos
Performance Tweaks
http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

USB Mass Storage Drivers (nusb33e.exe) - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE INSTALLING
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/43605-maximus … ve-usb-drivers/

"Powerful PC" File System performance tweak
This registry tweak will enable you to add another option called "Powerful PC". This option will enable the system to remember twice as many files as the "Network Server" setting, which will result is a substantial performance enhancement.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\FS Templates\Powerful]
@="Powerful PC"
"NameCache"=hex:a0,0f,00,00
"PathCache"=hex:80,00,00,00

Right-click My Computer and then select:
Properties • Performance • File System • Hard Disk

Adjust virtual memory & swap file appropriately.

Increase cdrom cache:
Properties • Performance • File System • CD-ROM
Set Supplemental Cache Size slider to maximum
In Optimize access pattern for select a speed higher than you actually have (unless you have a memory shortage)

Read ahead buffering:
Properties • Performance • File System
Put the Read-ahead optimization to Full

Verify that DMA is enabled for the Hard Drive and Optical Drives.

Install Dot Net Framework v1.1 (dotnetfx.exe)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26

Install Dot Net Framework v1.1 SP1 Update (NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=33

TweakUI v1.33
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweak_ui.html

Set in system.ini:

[386Enh]
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1
PageBuffers=32
DMABufferSize=64
32BitDiskAccess=ON

[vcache]
MinFileCache=65536
MaxFileCache=65536
chunksize=2048
namecache=4096
directorycache=96

7-Zip File Manager (7z920.exe)
http://www.7-zip.org/

Daemon Tools v3.47 (daemon347.exe)
NOTE: Be careful with this. Modern distributions of this software may contain adware, spyware, or other malware.
CRC32 0AC4C9F7
MD5 FE36EF3ABF2589BEF67F0113F40FF845
SHA-1 7A1D1AF799096C81977F3EF3F9221FB2F278EB44
http://www.filehippo.com/download_daemon_tools/tech/236/

Adobe Acrobat Reader v5 (ar505enu.exe) (rp505enu.exe)
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/5.x

Adobe SVG Viewer v3.03 (SVGView.exe)
https://www.adobe.com/devnet/svg/adobe-svg-vi … nload-area.html

Media Player Classic v6.4.9.1 (Included with QuickTime Alternative and Real Alternative)

QuickTime Alternative v1.56 (quicktimealt156.exe)

Real Alternative v1.52 (realalt152.exe)

DivX v5.2.1 (DivX521ME98.exe)
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video … x_for_win98.cfm

PowerDVD XP v4.0
Updated (PDVDxp4_Patch_2417.exe)

VLC Player (vlc-0.8.6i-win32.exe)
http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.8.6i/win32/

Flash v9r280 (flashplayer9r280_win.exe)

Flash for ActiveX v9r280 (flashplayer9r280_winax.exe)

Shockwave v10.3.0.24 (Shockwave_Installer_Full_10.3.0.24.exe)

Sun Java v1.4.2_19 (j2re-1_4_2_19-windows-i586-p.exe)
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase … .4.2_19-oth-JPR

CCleaner v2.36 (ccsetup236.exe)
https://www.piriform.com/blog/2010/9/27/ccleaner-v236

Atomic Clock Sync v2.7.0.3 (atomic.exe)
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/system_tool … nc.cfm/v2_7_0_3

CH Products Analog Drivers (CHANLG08.EXE)
http://www.helpdrivers.com/joysticks/CH_Produ … tual_Pilot_Pro/
NOTE: For whatever reason, these drivers are becoming increasingly difficult to find for download. Although this site has them listed under the Virtual Pilot Pro, these are indeed the correct drivers for all of the CH Products analog controllers. Also, see here: Software suite for CH Fighter Stick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals (gameport version) - get it here

CTFJ v3.20 (CTFJV320.ZIP)
http://www.stickworks.com/swdownld.html
http://www.stickworks.com/ctfjv320.zip

JoyToKey v3.79 (jtk379en.zip)
http://freewarewiki.com/w/page/14935784/JoyTo … y?mode=embedded

OPTIONAL - Intel Application Accelerator (iaa23_multi.exe) (iaa23_enu.exe)
If you're using an Intel i810 or i815, you may get some performance improvement by installing the Intel Application Accelerator v2.3. Then again, this might cause problems. Make sure you want this before you install it, because uninstallation can be troublesome and maybe even impossible.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/485 … ion-Accelerator
NOTE: If you're using a laptop, v2.2.2 was the last version for mobile processors.

Use Phil's excellent instructions to setup MS-DOS Mode:
http://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode-tutorials.html
(Thanks Phil!)