VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kanecvr wrote:

Fun little fact - while playing around with the drivers, I found "digital SLi" and "SLi Compatibility" under 3dfx advanced features tab. Makes me wonder if one could chain up two voodoo 4 4500 or voodoo 5 5500 PCI w/o a bridge for better performance...

Wile technicality possible it will not have the affect you looking for. We were taking bout it over on falconfly.de always back.

Also a 1.5v agp slot will not do anything bad to the card other then make it unstable. If I recall most off brand 4500 had problems with 4x and 1.5v

Reply 21 of 28, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to this thread here: http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2104
Some of those cards were keyed incorrectly such that despite the 4x keying they were only 2x cards.
I suspect that some companies upgraded their PCB layouts to 4x before they exhausted their stock of 2x chips.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 23 of 28, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anthony wrote:

There are no vsa100 chips with support only 3.3v and/or 2x mode. All of them are support 1.5v/4x mode and 3.3v/2x mode at the same time.

Good to know.

anthony wrote:

Configuration done thru strapping pins

I'm not familiar with the expression "strapping pins".

This particular card has only worked with AGP 2x set in the BIOS.
It sounds like a PCB revision problem to me. - As others have suggested.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 24 of 28, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might be worth a try - my soldering skills are more then enough for the job, I have a hot air SMD rework station and the paste required to solder said resistor on - what I need to find is a tiny 4.7k smd resistor, and that shouldn't be very hard.

On the 3DFX agp 4x version R97 is indeed bridged by a resistor: http://hw-museum.cz/data/vga/pic/big/3dfx_Voo … rev._3900_F.jpg Pic isn't large enough to read the value, but it could be a 4.7k.

Reply 25 of 28, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think R97 on reference 3dfx V4 is the same one as on PowerColor. Its position on the PCB is different and I believe it is not AGP related.

Anyway, I took some photos of that area, maybe it will help you.
pict1818egszf.jpg pict1817nbsir.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 28 of 28, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did. We were discussing how to mod the card to accept 1.5v signaling.

After sorting out my KT333 GA-7VRXP rig I stuck the voodoo 4 in and did some bencheies :

16bit 640x480 - score is DOUBLE what my Voodoo 2 SLi setup scores with an Athlon64 3800+ in the same conditions 😜

y8PUtnUl.jpg

16bit 1024x768 - score is... quite a bit higher then my Voodoo 3 3500TV..

yU4d6tcl.jpg

32bit 1024x768 - about as fast as a geforce 2 MX

e7m4vkxl.jpg

Played a little Quake 3 arena too - set res to 1280x1024, 16 bit color, bilinear filtering, lighting: Lightmap, Texture quality: default and Geometric Detail: high - it gets 38.6 FPS in demo001