ISA slot motherboards from AliExpress

Topic actions

Reply 81 of 87, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-04-26, 12:37:

this pretty much all goes over my head by now ^^

guess I'll just have to wait and see (...that it won't work x3)

Please do let us know, just to be 100% sure.

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 83 of 87, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2020-04-26, 12:20:

I used to have a board named BCM875PLG that used the same Winbond bridge chips and it is still a PCI to ISA type, and does require PC/PCI support signals for DMA to work. W83629D deals with the DMA and IRQ signals, essentially turning a PC/PCI header signals into full set of ISA control signals.
EDIT: Q77 has full LPC bus, but it doesn't help the ITE8888 as it expects PC/PCI DMA signals and not LPC ones (they are not compatible with one another unfortunately)

Thanks, that EDIT answers my question .

Reply 84 of 87, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

heh, as we were talking in this thread someone scooped up the last reasonably priced industrial board off ebay I was watching that would probably work... I wonder if it was someone from here ^^

Reply 85 of 87, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-04-26, 13:56:

heh, as we were talking in this thread someone scooped up the last reasonably priced industrial board off ebay I was watching that would probably work... I wonder if it was someone from here ^^

It was not me, I am using an Ipox 3ETI23 industrial board, though I regret that, even at the time, they were too expensive for me to grab a spare, for just in case .

Reply 86 of 87, by Aladim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
markot wrote on 2015-12-07, 18:18:

I was looking for ISA slot motherboards and found out, that new motherboards are available at AliExpress.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/IMV694X-ISA-mo … rchweb201560_10

Hello, my first post here ever. Have always read and learned things from the forum, I love it. Just wanted to contribute and provide useful information. I had this board during this week. Thought it was amazing to run a DOS machine with P3 socket 370 and ISA sound card. My findings at the end:

1) BIOS is very limited, doesn't offer many options to improve legacy support. Example: no legacy USB support option (normally there is an option BIOS or OS). There are 2 USB ports, but had to use PS/2. USB only worked during post and accessing BIOS (keyboard). I could not even install Windows 98 without a PS/2 keyboard. After Windows 98 was installed, I could add a USB keyboard or mouse.

2) Detected both ISA sound cards I had (Yamaha 719 and ESS 1868) on boot. I reserved IRQ 5 (or 7, tried both), DMA 1 and 5 on BIOS for ISA.
- The ESS installed on Windows 98 and DOS. I could get FM sound from it, but no FX.
- The Yamaha would cause a blue screen on Windows 98 upon driver installation. On DOS, it was not detected.

I have an Asus P2-99 (Slot 1 / Intel ZX) and both cards run on it, using a P3 slot 1 667mhz without issues. I'm 51, I lived through the retro days and know how to setup things (although I'm little rusted to be honest and why I often visit Vogons and Phils videos).

I ended returning the board to the local vendor. I would not risk buying any of the similar options avaiable on Aliexpress, as you most likely cannot return them and get a refund. And they are not good even without considerinbg the ISA slot, as I mentioned there were other issues (USB etc). They are not meant for retro pc gaming, based on my limited but practical experience.
Regards

Reply 87 of 87, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Aladim wrote on 2023-04-08, 00:23:

1) BIOS is very limited, doesn't offer many options to improve legacy support. Example: no legacy USB support option (normally there is an option BIOS or OS). There are 2 USB ports, but had to use PS/2. USB only worked during post and accessing BIOS (keyboard). I could not even install Windows 98 without a PS/2 keyboard. After Windows 98 was installed, I could add a USB keyboard or mouse.

Thanks. That is a common problem that should be stated here more often. You cannot easily install Win9x, XP or even some Win7 on just any board using USB KB even if you have Legacy USB enabled in BIOS.
Of course it does depend on the board, bios and OS but odds are against it working proper with older OS. Example: my soc478 board needed PS2 KB to install XP, the USB 2 ports are not proper drivered during install boot from CD.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun