Topic actions

Reply 121 of 121, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2021-03-07, 21:10:
Warlord wrote on 2021-03-07, 20:46:

I mean Kepler is pretty old and is already fully supported on XP. So assuming you got XP to instal with modded ACPI, I see no reason it wouldn't work. evga z390 doesn't have any PCI slots. So Idk what XFI card you are going to run. Maybe better question is what is the compatibility issues with a PCI-Express XFI and windows XP. Personally I heard it is shit.

I have a legacy PCI X-FI card (SB0460) in a PCI Express slot (using a PLX based bridge) and use it in Windows 7 and 10. I do only use it for listening to music and some recording . For those uses, it works fine . The board is a Supermicro X8SAX .

In the context of another project, I ran into some issues and would like to add some more info. I don't know whether these issues are due to X-FI drivers for Windows 10 or the fact that I am running through a bridge, but here goes (all tests in audio creation mode and using headphones connected to an X-FI drive under Windows 10):

Setting output to 44.1Kz at 16-bits results in horrible aliasing .
Using ASIO in anything but Foobar 2K either skips or produces garbage audio . WASAPI also works fine for playback in Foobar 2K .
Recording (S/PDIF) or playback at 44.1KHz using anything other than WASAPI in Audacity skips . Further tests required to be sure it actually records and plays 100% reliably in WASAPI mode in Audacity .

In comparison, a USB Roland UA4FX of roughly the same vintage works like a charm in anything that I have tried (including all the above that craps out in my X-FI setup).

TLDR, so far : As a music listening device, a legacy PCI X-FI card (SB0460) in a PCI Express slot (using a PLX based bridge) under Windows 10 (I might try all this under Windows 7) works fine for me in Foobar 2K , but that's about in terms what I would trust it with . Sorry for not being thread related, but I wanted to correct myself and address my previous misleading comment about my limited experience .