PCI to PCIe x1 adapter

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:

Just rewatched the video and I cant seem to find it either, maybe its just something I thought to myself the first time I saw it 🤣

No worries.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 22 of 27, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I would be interested to hear how those PCI-X to PCIe adapters work for graphic cards.

? ? ?
I did not see a PCI-X to PCIe adapter mentioned. Only PCI to PCIe.

There are different flavors of PCI-X. (And PCIe as well.)
PCI-X came is 66, 133, 266 and 533 MHz versions.
The (rare) 533MHz version has a bandwidth of 4,266 MB/s. (4.3 GB/s)
The (common-newer) 133MHz version has a bandwidth of 1.06 GB/s.
The (common-older) 66MHz version has a bandwidth of 533 MB/s.
The point is some PCI-X is faster than some PCIe.
So without knowing what PCI-X the mobo uses and what PCIe the card uses it's impossible to say where the bottleneck would be.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 23 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone on this forum pasted a link in another thread some time ago which showed, for sale, a PCI-X to PCIe adapter, similar to the PCI-to-PCIe adapter. Since conventional is so bottlenecked, and if your computer has PCI-X (no AGP or PCIe), it seems that the theoretical benefit of a PCI-X to PCIe adapter would be more substantial. Also, since there is only one commonly available PCI-X graphics card, having someting more modern would be interesting to experiment with. This is my link to the Matrox Parhelia PCI-X card. Matrox Parhelia 256 PCI-X Performance

Here's a photo of a PCI-X to PCIe x4 adapter (PCIX1PEX4), http://www.startech.com/ca/Cards-Adapters/Slo … -Card~PCIX1PEX4
And from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-PCI-X-Express- … 4/dp/B004H603SW

Way too expensive for me!

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 24 of 27, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
Someone on this forum pasted a link in another thread some time ago which showed, for sale, a PCI-X to PCIe adapter, similar to […]
Show full quote

Someone on this forum pasted a link in another thread some time ago which showed, for sale, a PCI-X to PCIe adapter, similar to the PCI-to-PCIe adapter. Since conventional is so bottlenecked, and if your computer has PCI-X (no AGP or PCIe), it seems that the theoretical benefit of a PCI-X to PCIe adapter would be more substantial. Also, since there is only one commonly available PCI-X graphics card, having someting more modern would be interesting to experiment with. This is my link to the Matrox Parhelia PCI-X card. Matrox Parhelia 256 PCI-X Performance

Here's a photo of a PCI-X to PCIe x4 adapter (PCIX1PEX4), http://www.startech.com/ca/Cards-Adapters/Slo … -Card~PCIX1PEX4
And from Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-PCI-X-Express- … 4/dp/B004H603SW

Way too expensive for me!

Why do these cost so much?

Reply 25 of 27, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCI-X is not something you had on consumer boards, it was server stuff. And any hardware aimed at servers/workstations will not only be produced in smaller numbers, but also aim clientes tryin to keep current servers working and the cost of replacing the server is much higher than that the cost of the converter/adapter.

Reply 26 of 27, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

PCI-X is not something you had on consumer boards, it was server stuff. And any hardware aimed at servers/workstations will not only be produced in smaller numbers, but also aim clientes tryin to keep current servers working and the cost of replacing the server is much higher than that the cost of the converter/adapter.

^+1 It's a workstation part. New they were selling for $730.

Matrox PCI-X.jpg
Filename
Matrox PCI-X.jpg
File size
28.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

While technically a 32-bit card will work in a PCI-X slot it will also shift everything else on the bus to 32-bit mode.
It's kind of like mixing RAM. Everything works at the speed of the slowest part.

A workstation is basically a server grade machine with decent video and sound that is not used to serve anything.
They are used for apps that need a cubic butt-ton of RAM. (Things like creating 3D animation.)
A workstation with 128 Gb or more RAM was not unheard of ~10 years ago. Now some can take 1Tb of RAM.

Reply 27 of 27, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:

While technically a 32-bit card will work in a PCI-X slot it will also shift everything else on the bus to 32-bit mode.
It's kind of like mixing RAM. Everything works at the speed of the slowest part.

Just to expand on this, the bus will also down clock to 66 or 33 mhz if necessary depending on the card that is least capable.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder