VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Running a Packard Bell Multimedia C110. I scored this as a freebie from a co-worker who was cleaning his basement out. My first DOS rig since about 1995. My sister shipped me a box of my old games that were in my room at my parents house...score! Yeah, there were inevitable floppies that wouldn't read, but one of my CD games--US Navy Fighters--hangs at the dos prompt when launching the game. The readme file says if this happens to disable BIOS Shadow settings. Unfortunately, this system doesn't have any settings like this. I tried looking for BIOS updates but had no luck finding any. I did find a motherboard diagram and a BIOS illustration that indicated these settings should be there. I'm hopeful a BIOS update exists that might enable some extra settings.

Thanks in advance.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 16, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Packard Bell had a bad habit of using different motherboards in the same model.
What is the actual motherboard model?
Which BIOS revision do you have installed?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might your board be listed here by any chance?
http://www.bcmcom.com/bcm_support_driversAndB … accept=I+Accept
Iirc many PB boards are listed here

For example the IN530 BIOS page: http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/IN530/IN530bios.asp
The IN530 spec webpage: http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/IN530/IN530.htm

There is a complete listing somewhere, but can't find it now that I am looking for it 😊

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 16, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I -think- it's a PB600 board which was used in a lot of models.
I have a bunch of PB BIOSs on file, but not that one unfortunately.
Here's a little info on the latest BIOS revision I could find: http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/15/15292.htm

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:

I -think- it's a PB600 board which was used in a lot of models.
I have a bunch of PB BIOSs on file, but not that one unfortunately.
Here's a little info on the latest BIOS revision I could find: http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/15/15292.htm

Thanks! The description for that BIOS cracks me up. The soundcard is not as bad as he indicates. 😉

When I get a chance, I'll see if I can figure out if mine is a PB600 and what rev is flashed on there.4

edit: BIOS rev shown at bootup is 1.00.07.BY0R. I found some info by googling that, but it all dead-ends to sites that no longer exist. I suppose I'll have to crack the case open to find a motherboard model. 😒

Reply 5 of 16, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That BIOS ID corresponds to a series of Intel OEM boards called Hillary.
It could be one of 6 different boards but they all share the same BIOS and you already have the latest version.
Those boards are (by PB number) PB570/580/590/620/630/650.
As they use the same BIOS any differences are probably minor.

I had a PB 486 back in the day and I thought the PB Aztec SRS sound card was pretty good myself.
But a grain of salt. I'm not much of a gamer.

Oh, and, PB was not particularly good about marking the model numbers on their boards.
Sometimes they are marked on the solder side and sometimes not at all. Sometimes you get lucky.
The MFD and MCD (whatever they are) numbers in this table might help. http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/faq/model.htm
It is socket 5: http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/pbmb1.htm

Reply 6 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:

That BIOS ID corresponds to a series of Intel OEM boards called Hillary.
It could be one of 6 different boards but they all share the same BIOS and you already have the latest version.

That answers my question--I've already got the newest BIOS. I count myself lucky that US Navy Fighters is the only game (so far) that couldn't run on this system. Thanks again for your help.

Reply 7 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi PCBONEZ,

I've just come across another game (besides US Navy Fighters) that won't run on the Packard Bell--Stargunner. When I launch it, it goes to the Apogee splash screen, then plays the intro, then drops to DOS with a "Divide Overflow" message. If I run the SETUP program to configure the game, it immediately drops back to DOS with "Divide Overflow" (and the DOS fontsize becomes huge). I tried this game on another DOS machine and it works normally. My suspicion is that whatever is preventing US Navy Fighters from working is what is causing Stargunner to fail. Since the US Navy Fighters readme file lists a problem like this with the solution being to disable video shadow features in the BIOS, I wonder if you are aware of any way to make these features available so that I can turn them off?

Reply 8 of 16, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Maybe TweakBIOS will do the trick, but I have no idea if it works with Packard Bell computers. Give it a try.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweakbios.html

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 9 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, JayCeeBee64. I will try it out.

Reply 11 of 16, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ clueless1
Sorry. I can't help with that one.
I'm a hardware guy. Tricks to get stubborn games to work is out of my league.

Reply 12 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NJRoadfan-thanks for the info.

PCBONEZ-I appreciate the help you have provided.

I'll give Tweakbios a shot.

Reply 13 of 16, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have only dabbled with modding BIOS and I'm not especially good at it.
There are probably a few members here that know that stuff cold and can help.
I dunno who they are though. Haven't been here long enough.
When I've need BIOS mod help in the past I've gone to one of these places.
https://www.bios-mods.com/
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/

Reply 14 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. Tweakbios shows amazingly few settings. Basically some DRAM, PCI, and L2 timings. I'm not motivated enough to pursue this further.

Reply 15 of 16, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

That's too bad, looks like TweakBIOS doesn't recognize the motherboard and only gives generic settings. At least it was worth the try.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 16 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great community here and I'm grateful for all the help. I don't believe this Packard Bell P133 is the ideal DOS retro rig, but it's been pretty decent so far. I do have two other boards to play with, though. I'm going to see if either of them have compatibility issues with US Navy Fighters or Stargunner. They are both much faster (Celeron 333 and K6-2 550) and run some of the more demanding games much smoother. The downside to them is I can't get either one to slow down (using SETMUL) to the proper speed for Wing Commander, whereas the Packard Bell with L1 cache disabled is at the *perfect* speed. I might have to try moslo on the other boards.

edit: I confirmed the Stargunner issue is an incompatibility with the Voodoo3 2000 PCI.