VOGONS

Reply 21 of 36, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a Radeon 9200 SE PCI once. It doesn't work any more, but otherwise it was a great card for Windows 98 games 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 22 of 36, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Utilities like AIDA are usually able to tell based on BIOS stamps and such, but the most sure way is to pop your case.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24 of 36, by Architecture

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a similar system with a FX 5200 256mb Pny Vertoe card. I'm not sure if it's the hottest card I can run on a PCI only setup, but it will play Halo and Sonic Heros at close to 30fps. I have a PIII 933mhz with 512mb ram.

The TV out function is one of the best I have seen, much better than the Helios Voodoo Rush I have in my K6 450mhz machine.

Reply 25 of 36, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hm, i have this other computer ive left off for a while and now that i turn it on, the cd-rom sems to try and do somekind of boot up with the hard drive lamp blinking once and the cd-rom also blinking once and you can hear it constantly wind up and down, and there is no beeps or screen activity.

Reply 28 of 36, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was just looking more into this today and it seems that BFG and Diablotek both made an overclocked version of the FX5500 PCI that cranks the core up to 290mhz. It's still not as fast as an FX5600 PCI, but is going to be a lot easier to find.

Reply 29 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Great Hierophant wrote:

Voodoo 3 3000 PCI, a sound choice for the 1990s!

I agree. V3 PCI 3000 is one of the most versatile PCI graphics card any retro computer hobbyist can get (but of course V4/V5 PCI would even be better, but good luck finding one cheap).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 36, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From a compatibility perspective, and also keeping price in mind, I'd go for a Geforce 2 MX400 PCI card. It'll give you access to a wider spectrum of drivers. Some of the earlier ones are far more compatible with the older 2D and 3D games released prior to 2000. I'd be even more inclined to recommend a TNT2, but it's too slow, especially since the most common ones are the cut down M64 variant.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 31 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Totempole wrote:

From a compatibility perspective, and also keeping price in mind, I'd go for a Geforce 2 MX400 PCI card. It'll give you access to a wider spectrum of drivers. Some of the earlier ones are far more compatible with the older 2D and 3D games released prior to 2000. I'd be even more inclined to recommend a TNT2, but it's too slow, especially since the most common ones are the cut down M64 variant.

Personally I think the MX cards are great value. They are plentiful and thus also cheap and easy to find, they are quite fast and use passive cooling most of the time.

edit: I was referring to AGP cards mostly though, but TNT2 cards also usually come in AGP

Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 36, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Totempole wrote:

Personally I think the MX cards are great value. They are plentiful and thus also cheap and easy to find, they are quite fast and use passive cooling most of the time.

edit: I was referring to AGP cards mostly though, but TNT2 cards also usually come in AGP

The Geforce 2 MX AGP is my personal favourite as well. It's a lot faster than a TNT2, and more than twice as fast as a TNT2 M64 while retainig most (not all) of the TNT2's compatibility.

The PCI version of the Geforce 2 MX400 is fairly easy to come by these days and offers comparable performance and in some cases even better compatibility with older games.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 34 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Totempole wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Totempole wrote:

The Geforce 2 MX AGP is my personal favourite as well. It's a lot faster than a TNT2, and more than twice as fast as a TNT2 M64 while retainig most (not all) of the TNT2's compatibility.

The PCI version of the Geforce 2 MX400 is fairly easy to come by these days and offers comparable performance and in some cases even better compatibility with older games.

Well, I did some ebaying and found a single seller that had some MX cards in new condition, complete with box...but what's wrong with ebay?
And why is it trying to sell me PC touchscreens and steam keys when I'm looking for PCI graphics cards? 😵

And to add to insult, the seller with the cheapest MX cards (around €15 each or so) photographed a card inside it's clamshell and I could see right away that at least 4 of it's caps had started to bulge or even leak 😒

Report spammers here!

Reply 36 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nic-93 wrote:

Besides, i have this dragon 1000 voodoo board pci type, does it have a cpu speed limit?

Not that I know, but that's also something I never bothered to find out as imo there just wasn't much point in using a V1 board in anything above, say, 200MHz? And most will prefer a V2 or other 3DFX card as soon as CPU clockspeeds start ramping up past 300MHz or so 😀

Report spammers here!