VOGONS

First post, by Alegend45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been wondering about this since I was wanting to try to emulate a hyper-fast Voodoo 1 in PCem, but I want it to be at a speed that actually existed back in the day.

Reply 2 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjt wrote:

Someone will be along to disprove me shortly, but I believe they're all clocked the same by default. Same with the Voodoo2.

There could've always been a factory overclocked model of some sorts. I did do a bit of quick reading and apparently all V2s came with 100MHz clocked memory anyway (though usually clocked at 90MHz).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 9, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Someone will be along to disprove me shortly, but I believe they're all clocked the same by default. Same with the Voodoo2.

Never seen anything else than 50 MHz for Voodoo1. But I recall some vendor using 95 MHz on Voodoo2.

Reply 5 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alegend45 wrote:

Well, is it even possible to overclock a Voodoo 1? If so, how high can you go?

Dunno. Iirc the Diamond Rendition 2100s could be overclocked by powerstrip? They are about the same era so perhaps the V1 could be overclocked using that program (I wouldn't recommend overclocking a V1 though, seems kinda pointless, but that's just me)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 9, by colpoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's possibile to overclock a Voodoo1 by adding the command "SET SST_GRXCLK=xx" in Autoexec.bat. xx is the frequency in MHz.

Diamond Monster 3D driver has an option to automatically set it to 57 Mhz!

RetroPc I: Asus P3V4X - PentiumIII 1000MHz - 256MB Ram - Geforce3 Ti 200 - SLI VoodooII 12MB - Aureal Vortex2 - HDD 80GB - Win98 SE
RetroPc II: Asus P5A - K6-2 333MHz - 64MB Ram - Geforce2 MX - Voodoo 4MB - Soundblaster AWE64 - HDD 13GB - Win95

Reply 7 of 9, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alegend45 wrote:

Well, is it even possible to overclock a Voodoo 1? If so, how high can you go?

Usually not more than 10%, early 3dfx hardware was pushed to the max.

Reply 8 of 9, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've ran mine on 58mhz without problems. I wouldn't dare push it further without a heatsink attached though.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 9 of 9, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

60MHz was reachable according to http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/real-thing,45-2.html

The two 3Dfx Voodoo cards were both clocked to 60 MHz, which is just fine in case of the Canopus Pure3D with its 35 ns EDO RAM but beyond good or bad for the Diamond Monster 3D unless you cool it. I did this only for comparing the drivers of these two cards to each other, the Monster shouldn't run higher than 57 MHz and hence in real world it's slower than shown here.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction