VOGONS

Reply 20 of 37, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

I think it's like this for AGP: (AMD) HD3850 AGP > (NVidia) Gainward Bliss 7800 GS+ AGP > (NVidia) 7800GS AGP > (NVidia) 6800 Ultra APG > (NVidia) 6800 GT AGP

I don't get what your list is about? 😊
Performance? Drivers? Stability? Availability? Value for money?

edit:

vetz wrote:
Artex wrote:

I think it's like this for AGP: (AMD) HD3850 AGP > (NVidia) Gainward Bliss 7800 GS+ AGP > (NVidia) 7800GS AGP > (NVidia) 6800 Ultra APG > (NVidia) 6800 GT AGP

What about the HD4670 inbetween all of these?

This is the reason why I kinda didn't get it 😜
And what about 7600GT? The 7600GS's I used had good performance and hardly any issues also.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 37, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
Artex wrote:

Yeah, not sure how the 4650/4670 stack up against the G71 core. The 4650 has a narrower bus than the 3850 but more memory.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 22 of 37, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
vetz wrote:
Artex wrote:

Yeah, not sure how the 4650/4670 stack up against the G71 core. The 4650 has a narrower bus than the 3850 but more memory.

Seems the X1950 AGP is also faster than the 7800GS+, though only slightly. But faster is faster, but it might have it's own issues (like high power draw?), hence why I asked what your list was about

And I think that what gets on the list and at which place also depends on personal preferences, in the end it's all really relative to what your aims are.

Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 37, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry guys - I should've been more specific. To my knowledge, the fastest card for AGP is the HD 3850. I listed the others in reference to the OP's 7800GS card and the 6800 mentioned in Shamino's response. There of course other cards that you mentioned that can be squeezed into this list. I always go back to this chart: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 24 of 37, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

Sorry guys - I should've been more specific. To my knowledge, the fastest card for AGP is the HD 3850. I listed the others in reference to the OP's 7800GS card and the 6800 mentioned in Shamino's response. There of course other cards that you mentioned that can be squeezed into this list. I always go back to this chart: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Ah, thanks for your explanation! It makes a lot more sense now 😀

Btw, this one has been a favorite of mine for years now, it's very detailed
http://www.pc-erfahrung.de/grafikkarte/vga-gr … krangliste.html
It's a German site but you don't need to learn German in order to understand the partnumbers, right? 😁

And in your link, these 2 "HD 3850 512 MB, HD 4670" are actually right next to eachother in the same hierarchy box 😜

edit:
And to me another nice thing about Artex's list is this part "6800, 7300 GT GDDR3, 7600 GS"
The 6800 (Standard Edition) and 7600GS I noticed had very similar performance using otherwise virtually identical hardware (2.2GHz A64 in both rigs, 2GB DDR-400 in both rigs, and so on) and in your list they are ranked in the same box, I can confirm first hand 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 37, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Wow - that is a nice list. Thanks!

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 26 of 37, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Wow - that is a nice list. Thanks!

I think your hierarchy table is nice also, I've actually already downloaded it, great for quick comparisons! 😁

Btw, maybe you''ll know what I mean, I remember that a long time ago on some forum someone made a very detailed comparison table of all common graphics cards and their power usage (it was all in ascii, but that's not my question, hold on 😜). Then someone else made a graphical chart which I think was much easier to read and it was also updated to more recent cards. But the thing is, I was googling for those graphical charts and couldn't find it. You happen to know where I can find it again?

Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 37, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember seeing something like that - it was a massive BMP/JPG/TIFF that someone (from Vogons?) built.

EDIT: This? Graphic cards and CPUs history trees, wanna help?

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 28 of 37, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

I remember seeing something like that - it was a massive BMP/JPG/TIFF that someone (from Vogons?) built.

EDIT: This? Graphic cards and CPUs history trees, wanna help?

Wow...I had completely forgotten about that one!

But it was a chart of 'all' graphics cards and it was the most detailed chart available which mentioned how much power any particular card would use.
It kinda looks like this one http://blog.codinghorror.com/content/images/u … ec8e970c-pi.png except the one I am looking for was a complete one. I'd rather see from a single source and the one I'm looking for contained the power consumption of hundreds of graphics cards ranging from TNT2/MX2 all the way to whatever PCI-E graphics card was top of the line then.

But all I can find is ones that have like 70 cards and don't even have any AGP cards in them 😒

Edit: Apparently I had downloaded one of these charts. It goes all the way from GF GTX580 and HD 6970 down to GF3/Radeon 7000

I will attach it here, it also mentions the name of the chart so perhaps there's a newer one, I'll go look for it now.

Attachments

• gfxpowerchartbygen.png
    Filename
    gfxpowerchartbygen.png
    File size
    283.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Report spammers here!

Reply 29 of 37, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure specifically.. I know TechArp has some nice listings as well: http://www.techarp.com/articles/desktop-graph … rison-guide/13/

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 30 of 37, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found it here
Apparently they updated it for 1 more gen at least.
Enjoy 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 31 of 37, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

To clarify, I'm making a distinction between native AGP and bridged AGP.
There are many faster AGP cards than the 6800s, but they are not -natively- AGP (at least for nVidia). They are Express GPUs with a bridge chip that allows them to be used with AGP. The cards with a bridged configuration seem to be broken with VIA P3 chipsets. As a result, I think the 6800 Ultra is probably the fastest/highest featured AGP card that the OP can use, unless ATI has something faster that works.

The 7800GS/GS+/7whatever were the fastest gen of nVidia cards with an AGP connector (but they're all bridged). The 7600GS and 7800GS both apparently don't work with the VIA P3 chipsets. I assume this problem extends to any bridged nVidia card.

ATI cards had a few more generations with AGP support so you can definitely go faster with those, but again they'd be bridged. I haven't heard if anybody ever successfully used one of those with the VIA P3 chipsets.

Reply 33 of 37, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thanks for all the info guys. looks like I'm going to go for a 6800 Ultra or more likely a 6800 GT OC since they seem cheaper and easier to find. hopefully the native AGP will correct the issue.

Reply 35 of 37, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

actually scratch that. catastrophic failure.

not sure what went wrong but XP loaded up, went to run a benchmark and then the video went out. restarted and no video signal. tested the card and monitor with another motherboard and it worked fine. tried 3 other agp cards with the tualatin and nothing. looks like my AGP port decided to push up daisy's

*edit* Actually I'm thinking the whole board went south, no video signal with PCI either. not even getting beep codes.

Reply 36 of 37, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ouch. That sucks.
Do you see any burn marks on the AGP slot, the aux power connectors on the card, or maybe even on the main power connector from the PSU to the motherboard?
You didn't forget to plug in the card's molex connector(s), did you?
Have you tried swapping to a different/more powerful PSU? If you're lucky, maybe it's the PSU that died.
Any other visible damage like blown caps or blackened MOSFETs?

If you have a multimeter, you could try probing some voltages as it runs and see if anything looks out of spec.

Reply 37 of 37, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nothing looks any different, no burn marks, caps all look fine. tried a different PSU and same result. molex on the 6800 was plugged in.

It worked fine yesterday. ran it with the 6800 for a few hours and ran 3dmark 2003 and it all worked fine. Today I booted it up and about 3 minutes after I got to the XP desktop it just went out like if you turned the monitor off. hasn't worked since.

Not sure it even has anything to do with the card...maybe it was just its time.