VOGONS

First post, by dehavilland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

This is my first time building a retro machine.

Already purchased a Vectra 486/33n, a SB16 CT1740 with a bug free V405 and a Roland SC55ST on "expensiveBay" for 200 bucks. It come with a 3Com ether card. There is no 5.25 inch bay on Vectra and it has only 3 ISA slots, one is taken by the SB16, one is proposed by a Gravis. But I really need a cd rom for it, and I require the CD ROM be able to read CD-R discs.

I am using it for DOS/WIN3.X. NO WIN95.

I did quite some research on it, and there are two solutions:

1.I think the only internal CDROM that can both connect to the Panasonic/MKE interface on CT1740 and be able to read CD-R is a TEAC CD55A. It is somewhat hard to find, but I will wait for it. After that, I would like to drill a hole on the case, let the CD ROM be outside and connect to SB16 through the hole.

2.Buy an ISA SCSI card. This leaves me a lot of choice for a cd rom but either the Gravis or the 3Com will have to go. And I don't know whether the SB16 will handle the CD audio properly in this way.

Thank you.

Winston

Amibay username:winstonwu91
Recent wants:A cheap intelligent midi interface card, a good record player

A young Chinese student studying in US, drives a vintage car, use a vintage typewriter and loves vintage PC.

Reply 1 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does your Vectra support EPP mode on the parallel port? You could use an external parallel port CD-ROM drive. You could also convert an IDE channel and feed it out via eSATA.

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2016-02-13, 06:36. Edited 1 time in total.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 17, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you really need the Ethernet card? SCSI card with external drive would be your best option if you need the network adapter there are external adapters that convert from serial COM port. External drives and modems where popular in the early 90s because of cases like yours, or like in some Packard Bells they had miniature internal modem that connected through a COM interface and attached to the motherboard by plastic clips

Reply 3 of 17, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a third option, get a SB16 SCSI CT1770, or perhaps they all have bugged (non v4.05 DSP) Waveblaster headers?

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 17, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd never buy a SB16 without asking the seller to check its DSP version (if I was after a non bugged one). It seems the same card was produced with more than one revision of the DSP.

Reply 5 of 17, by dehavilland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

There is a third option, get a SB16 SCSI CT1770, or perhaps they all have bugged (non v4.05 DSP) Waveblaster headers?

Yes. I happened to found on EBAY a CT1770 with 4.05. It is expensive (49.99+10 shipping) but I managed to buy one.

A young Chinese student studying in US, drives a vintage car, use a vintage typewriter and loves vintage PC.

Reply 6 of 17, by dehavilland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stuvize wrote:

Do you really need the Ethernet card? SCSI card with external drive would be your best option if you need the network adapter there are external adapters that convert from serial COM port. External drives and modems where popular in the early 90s because of cases like yours, or like in some Packard Bells they had miniature internal modem that connected through a COM interface and attached to the motherboard by plastic clips

I got a CT1770. Ready for returning or selling the CT1740 once it arrived. A loss of $$$ though.

Any advice on where to put the cd rom? Just hate it when I see no 5.25 inch bay is available.

JfRzwv4.jpg

Reply 7 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're not afraid to go modern, I'd recommend trying a PATA to SATA converter fed into an external DVD-ROM via eSATA. If you want to stay vintage, you're going to have to go SCSI or parallel port.

Reply 8 of 17, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dehavilland wrote:
stuvize wrote:

I got a CT1770. Ready for returning or selling the CT1740 once it arrived. A loss of $$$ though.

Any advice on where to put the cd rom? Just hate it when I see no 5.25 inch bay is available.

Nice!

I would just let the cables out through the back of the case and connect the drive when needed (I do not like to make permanent damage to old cases) but otherwise just hack away at the case where ever it will fit! 😀

You can use an external SCSI enclosure with the SB16 SCSI CT1770, you just need a SCSI adaper so the cables will fit.

gdjacobs wrote:

If you're not afraid to go modern, I'd recommend trying a PATA to SATA converter fed into an external DVD-ROM via eSATA. If you want to stay vintage, you're going to have to go SCSI or parallel port.

If you would have read the whole thread you would have known he already has bought a SB 16 SCSI CT1770 so I think everything is more or less solved! 😉

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 9 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, that totally didn't click!

Like Carlin said:
"You ever look at your watch and you don't know what time it is?"

Reply 10 of 17, by dehavilland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:
Nice! […]
Show full quote
dehavilland wrote:
stuvize wrote:

Nice!

I would just let the cables out through the back of the case and connect the drive when needed (I do not like to make permanent damage to old cases) but otherwise just hack away at the case where ever it will fit! 😀

You can use an external SCSI enclosure with the SB16 SCSI CT1770, you just need a SCSI adaper so the cables will fit.

gdjacobs wrote:

If you would have read the whole thread you would have known he already has bought a SB 16 SCSI CT1770 so I think everything is more or less solved! 😉

Thank you! Now having something new:

a 1988 Music Quest MSC-4 MIDI Switcher. Seems different from PC MIDI Cards. Don't know whether it is compatible with MPU401 intelligent.

s-l1600.jpg

a NEC Multispin 6X external SCSI cd rom and a bracket to transform internal scsi to external.

So how to connect the external SCSI cd rom to the sound blaster card? Is it ok to connect the Audio Output L/R to LINE-IN of sound blaster?

Reply 11 of 17, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Sound Blaster CT1770 has a standard 50 pin SCSI-2 interface and if you have bought a bracket that transforms the internal 50 pin SCSI to external then all you need is an internal 50 pin SCSI cable if you already have the external cable?

You can connect the audio outputs from the external SCSI CD box to the line in on your sound card or build your own cable that connects directly to the sound cards CD-IN.

Reply 12 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

You can connect the audio outputs from the external SCSI CD box to the line in on your sound card or build your own cable that connects directly to the sound cards CD-IN.

If you want to connect to the CD-IN, perhaps you can install RCA or 1/8" feed through jacks on an existing bracket for a slightly cleaner look.

Reply 13 of 17, by IT-Escapee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"Any advice on where to put the cd rom? Just hate it when I see no 5.25 inch bay is available."

I worked with a ton of HP Vectras back in the 90's, if I remember right most of the the Vectra Chassis were all the same. You just need the next generation faceplate from a Vectra VE or VL series 4 or newer and it will have the 5.25 and 3.5 openings.

Might be able to find just the faceplate by itself. It will fit your chassis.

Reply 15 of 17, by dehavilland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IT-Escapee wrote:

"Any advice on where to put the cd rom? Just hate it when I see no 5.25 inch bay is available."

I worked with a ton of HP Vectras back in the 90's, if I remember right most of the the Vectra Chassis were all the same. You just need the next generation faceplate from a Vectra VE or VL series 4 or newer and it will have the 5.25 and 3.5 openings.

Might be able to find just the faceplate by itself. It will fit your chassis.

Well if it was the case i would have been very lucky.

Problem is, 486/33n is so compact that not enough internal space for a CD ROM is available (I opened the case to measure after seeing your post). The power supply only have one 4PIN 12V output and it is merely 79.5W. I can split the 4pin power supply, but I doubt the power is enough to hold an internal CD ROM.

Reply 16 of 17, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dehavilland wrote:

Problem is, 486/33n is so compact that not enough internal space for a CD ROM is available

What about a laptop-style slim CD drive along with one of these adapters? You'd still have to modify the case and faceplate to mount one, but otherwise a slim optical drive takes up significantly less space, and also less power AFAIK, so it possibly would work if you can find a way to mount it.

Reply 17 of 17, by dehavilland

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick update:

The sound blaster 16 ct1770 is not working! The seller said it is 4.05 but when it arrived it is a buggy 4.12 && the card is noisy in my case. Luckily I can return it. Now I have a bug free CT1740, two Aztech NX PRO cards, a NEC XR385 and a Roland SC55ST. Because I am a fan of Princess Maker series and a bunch of Chinese games that use intelligent midi, I need an intelligent interface for the Roland SC55ST or Softmpu with IRQ2/9 compatible card. After research on VOGONS, it seems that only ALS100 card can fulfill my need...But ALS100 is somewhat too "new" for the build 😀

Bought a scsi adapter for the CD ROM.

I didn't use the line-in for CD Music. Instead I bought a mixer to mix all the sound source together.