VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just curious if you all keep a single 2GB partition or use multiple partitions on your DOS PCs. The reason behind the question is the optical drive letter issue with more than one HDD partition. I'm interested to know if you ignore this issue with the optical drive letter not being 'D:' or limit what you install to C:

Cheers!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 16, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It depends on the computer. I can get Compaq DOS 3.31 to use a single 2GB partition on my XT-clone computer, but even the 512MB CF card I use with it is partitioned because with everything in a single partition it takes too long calculating the free space.

Reply 2 of 16, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use MS-DOS 7.1 on my main time machine, a 100 MHz Pentium. It has a 120 GB drive in a single FAT32 partition, so lots of space for games 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use FAT32 capable DOS (MS-DOS 7.1), but I sometimes switch for experimentation purposes, so I've got a smaller partition for DOS and it's drivers along with a large partition for the rest of my software. It keeps the Ghost images of the DOS partition reasonable in size.

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2016-02-15, 13:27. Edited 1 time in total.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 16, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mine has 4 FAT partitions (2GB each) and the rest of the 80GB drive is 2 FAT32 partitions.

It's a leftover from an old DOS6 PC, where the total limit is ~8GB, and actually a little less, so the last FAT partition was originally smaller than 2GB.

There is little reason to do it this way, though. Phil's setup is much better. But I cannot be bothered rearranging all my batch files and menus which are used to certain games being on D, others on E and so forth.

I am aware that there are games that are poorly hardcoded to look for the optical drive on D, but I never encountered them personally. Or if I did, they were hacked.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using a 20GB drive, but only a single 2GB partition on it. I've got 750MB free on it, so I'm in decent shape and if push came to shove I could always add 2GB partitions as needed, with the caveat that I might have to adjust any games hard-coded to look for the optical drive on D:

Yeah, I'm not sure about which games will only work with optical on D, but it is something I hear about.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 16, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, why do this? When I'm using dos <=6.22 and not some windows "dos" I just create as many 2GB partitions as I need. For these systems 8GBs are enough to accommodate all the software you might want for the platform and for what concerns the CDROM's drive letter I've never come across any game that absolutely demands to find it as D:. Not saying that such a game doesn't exist, but it's not common at all if not super-rare. I guess I can live without that picky game instead of compromising a whole machine.

Reply 8 of 16, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of my DOS PCs has a 20 GB HDD and can mount USB sticks up to 32GB.
The other one has 2x160 GB. To be fair, it dual boots Linux (only one drive is accessible from DOS.)

The benefits of FreeDOS + late-ish Pentium & PIII era hardware. B)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 9 of 16, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

One of my DOS PCs has a 20 GB HDD and can mount USB sticks up to 32GB.
The other one has 2x160 GB. To be fair, it dual boots Linux (only one drive is accessible from DOS.)

The benefits of FreeDOS + late-ish Pentium & PIII era hardware. B)

I create as many 2gb partition's as possible on any given MS-Dos-6.22 installation.
Only because I can.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 16, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My main DOS machine (a Pentium MMX 233) is actually a multi boot machine with Windows 95 and 98 on it. It has three drives as follows:

80GB PATA: Windows 98, single FAT32 partition.
36GB SCSI: 2GB MS-DOS 6.22 FAT16 and 32 GB Windows 95 FAT32 partitions.
73GB SCSI: 2GB FAT16 and 70GB FAT32 partitions, for data exchange, ISO dump, general DATA storage.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 12 of 16, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I like my 486 with a single 2 gig partition and the CD-ROM at D:. Mostly just nostalgia about the drive letter scheme. A 2GB CF holds everything I need for 6.22 and Win 3.11, and then I have the 98SE box that works fine for most of my higher capacity retro needs.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 13 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ever since my 1st PC (around 1994 so that era of games) I have had OS on C:\ and Data on D:\ and never run into any games hard coded to look for a CD on D:\
Not saying there are not games out there, but its rare

Reply 14 of 16, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote:

I have had OS on C:\ and Data on D:\ and never run into any games hard coded to look for a CD on D:\

That has been my experience and my approach as well. Splitting between the OS and the data is generally good practice, IMO, especially for modern OSs more complex than DOS. In case of major OS failures you can more easily experiment/debug/reinstall, without worrying that your data may be compromised.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys