VOGONS

First post, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought two of these QS3000a Cards about a year or two ago. What grabbed me was the "XG" logo printed on the card. The thing is, it doesn't appear to have any association with Yamaha, or "XG" for that matter. It has what appears to be an SB-Link headder like a YMF724 card has, but the chip doesn't seem to be Yamaha at all. Installation is fairly straightforward, and DOS game compatibility is very good within Windows. However, it has no General Midi support at all, and comes only with a "QSound" utility.

It has an FM synth, which mentions OPL3, but it's not genuine, in fact it's very inaccurate when playing midi files in Windows at least. It actually misses notes in Passport.mid.

Does anyone know where this card originates, and how it was able to carry the "XG" logo if it has no support for it? Was it perhaps bundled with an "XG" soft synth on the original driver CD perhaps?

Thanks in advance for shedding any light on this. 😀

A411-G70-1.jpg

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 1 of 9, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I had this card, if my memory serves me right. It came with the S-YXG50 CD, but I was severly disappointed that it didn't have a hardware wavetable. The packaging made it sound otherwise.

*Edit: Just found a pic of the packaging on Amazon.

Attachments

• xwave3000_.jpg
    Filename
    xwave3000_.jpg
    File size
    335.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube

Reply 2 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea. MAME has a sound device in it named QS1000 and it's surely from the same manufacturer, it's surely one of those Asian "knock-off" manufacturers.

As for the card, you're in luck! The FCC ID code is valid and there's info in their database:
1. https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetEas731Report.do?a … cc_id=LWHA411G7
2. https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewEx … cc_id=LWHA411G7
3. https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewEx … cc_id=LWHA411G7
4. https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/Eas731 … cc_id=LWHA411G7
5. https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewCo … cc_id=LWHA411G7

So it's Labway A411G7 or A411-G70, manufactured around 1998. QS3000A actual manufacturer is "AdMOS" or QDSP. XWave is only branding. See #2 for manual.

[EDIT] And Rawit above answered why the XG logo, because of Yamaha disc included. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, this is all starting to come back to me.

The QS1000, QS3000, etc. seems to have originally been developed by a company called AdMOS and the series QDSP. Later this became/was acquired by a company called HWA Sound Source Co., Ltd. and sold by a company called Altonics. (I am a bit shaky on the history here, don't consider this 100% fact.)

Here's the datasheet for the QS3000/QS3000A: http://www.altonics.com/product2.htm

Now, one thing we discovered regarding the _QS1000_ was that it was compatible or identical to the OPTi 82c941. So there is some history here of OPTi and HWASS/AdMOS/Altonics ripping each other off and the QS3000 could be a clone of some other OPTi chip.
http://www.dearhoney.idv.tw/Museum/OPTi/

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 9, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks to both of you for the info. This really explains a lot. It would be nice to get hold of the installation CD. At least then I could use the card to its full, albeit limited, potential.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 6 of 9, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
peklop wrote on 2019-10-14, 16:36:

bump.
Is QS3000a only relabelled Fortemedia FM801-AU chip?

I just made this thread about an FM801 board I have. It has a chip labeled "FM0801-A1" which Linux (specifically Knoppix 7.2) detects as a "ForteMedia Xwave QS3000A" and also as a "FM801-AS", so at the very least I assume they're quite similar.

Reply 7 of 9, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
doshea wrote on 2022-01-10, 05:30:
peklop wrote on 2019-10-14, 16:36:

bump.
Is QS3000a only relabelled Fortemedia FM801-AU chip?

I just made this thread about an FM801 board I have. It has a chip labeled "FM0801-A1" which Linux (specifically Knoppix 7.2) detects as a "ForteMedia Xwave QS3000A" and also as a "FM801-AS", so at the very least I assume they're quite similar.

I don't think it's quite that simple. The QS3000A looks quite different to an FM801-AU chip. I think the FM801-AU is overall a better card for DOS. I could find almost nothing remotely remarkable about the QS3000A in the brief time I used it.

Xwave.jpg

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 8 of 9, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Totempole wrote on 2022-01-10, 15:45:

I don't think it's quite that simple. The QS3000A looks quite different to an FM801-AU chip.

True! Same number of pins, but I don't know why they would have changed the packaging.

I think the FM801-AU is overall a better card for DOS. I could find almost nothing remotely remarkable about the QS3000A in the brief time I used it.

Perhaps the chip is an FM801 with a different name on it and a different shape, but there are some other differences in the board that cause issues. Or it could be an issue with the FM801 revision.

I'd be interested to know what PCI device ID and revision number are reported by the QS3000A chip, and also what the AC'97 codec chip on there is. I've been taking a look at which chips are supported by the CFG801.EXE from ForteMedia. Did you happen to try the QS3000A boards with both drivers for the QS3000A and also generic FM801 drivers?

Reply 9 of 9, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
doshea wrote on 2022-01-13, 07:10:

I'd be interested to know what PCI device ID and revision number are reported by the QS3000A chip, and also what the AC'97 codec chip on there is. I've been taking a look at which chips are supported by the CFG801.EXE from ForteMedia. Did you happen to try the QS3000A boards with both drivers for the QS3000A and also generic FM801 drivers?

Unfortunately both of those cards in the photo are faulty, so no way of testing that. I do have a QS3000A somewhere in working order, but I don't think I'll be able to get to it anytime soon.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA