VOGONS

Best LCD with crt quality

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why mess with older LCD monitors if you don't already have one? The response time is often horrid which leads to blurring.

I will say that I like the Dell 1908 series but they aren't near as good color reproduction-wise compared to a good IPS or VA monitor.

IMO, the best option is to get a newer monitor... If you want pretty perfect color reproduction, get something with real 10 or 12-bit support... Or even a real 8-bit monitor will be enough as the convertor I am going to recommend is not going to support 10 or 12-bit output.

The big thing you want to look for in an LCD is high color gamut and quick response time.

The convertor I like the most so far is the TV-One 1T-C2-400. You can program it to do pretty much whatever.

It only has vga in and vga out for computer monitor hookups, but you can just have it scale to a resolution and refresh rate that is supported by HDMI or displayport or DVI and use with a vga to whatever adapter on a newer monitor.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21 of 30, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't know.

L367 on LC Mono/Color https://youtu.be/YicfqCx5m-k
71vm on Tandy/CGA https://youtu.be/hvvvgLkbkzI
71vm on EuroPC/CGA https://youtu.be/MSvx0ddJREk

71VM on Amiga2000 and A2286 Bridgeboard in that same Amiga2000.
I would not go higher then 17", beside that the BL702 does also 15/50 but the colors are BAD compared to 71vm.

Attachments

• IMG_3660.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3660.JPG
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_3658.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3658.JPG
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 22 of 30, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not at the end...I am still searching for the best of the best, currently 51vm/71vm are my favorites.
I always buy them if they show up on eBay....and if the are cheap. (below 50 Euro's.)

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 23 of 30, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In no means disrespect to the topic I assert monitor quality as monitor compatability.
Most LCD televisions have issues with low res screens like non standard dos games do to the point of show signal out of range or signal not supported.
Thus I want suff that does support it because i dont see crt as a quality these days since theres barely anything over 17" @ 85 hertz
I find LCD monitors are too damn expensive for what they are they have HD but no tv tuner and that hurts.

Reply 27 of 30, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-08-27, 15:41:
In no means disrespect to the topic I assert monitor quality as monitor compatability. Most LCD televisions have issues with low […]
Show full quote

In no means disrespect to the topic I assert monitor quality as monitor compatability.
Most LCD televisions have issues with low res screens like non standard dos games do to the point of show signal out of range or signal not supported.
Thus I want suff that does support it because i dont see crt as a quality these days since theres barely anything over 17" @ 85 hertz
I find LCD monitors are too damn expensive for what they are they have HD but no tv tuner and that hurts.

And this is one of the reasons I like the TV-One scaler / converter. You can take any vga signal in and output whatever vga signal and timing that you want. Everything is customizable.. and I mean everything.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28 of 30, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dr.zeissler : those pics look great !
Some older Asus widescreen have a good 4:3 mode and look just fine including color and response time AND have a VGA 15pin input.. just saying you do not have to stick with a 4:3 monitor if you cannot find a good one...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 29 of 30, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-08-27, 18:53:
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-08-27, 15:41:
In no means disrespect to the topic I assert monitor quality as monitor compatability. Most LCD televisions have issues with low […]
Show full quote

And this is one of the reasons I like the TV-One scaler / converter. You can take any vga signal in and output whatever vga signal and timing that you want. Everything is customizable.. and I mean everything.

I saw it on ebay being scalped though there was just one for under 100 bucks i get fun without it and I'll wait for a 20 dollar fix 🤣

Reply 30 of 30, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can recommend the AOC G2590PX, which has several 4:3 modes and a 1:1 mode that is great for showing pixel-perfect doubled 640x480. It goes up to 144 Hz on the DP input and 120 Hz on the other inputs ; it handles 70 Hz VGA without frameskipping. You can add the OSSC which solves the 640x400 sampled as 720x400 issue (usually not a big deal anyway; see Re: Widescreen monitors and 4:3 aspect ratio compatibility thread). It is TN and doesn't suffer from IPS ghosting. Blacks are good (for a TN panel).