VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have four different CPUs and a 694T Pro motherboard. When I got it, it was dirty and had a wrongly installed heatsink with Celeron SL68G processor. So currently it has no CPU and I'm planning to put it back together.

But I have also other CPUs that I think would work with this motherboard. I mostly like to play old games from the late 1980's to the end of 1990's, so which CPU would perform best? It probably doesn't have to be the fastest I have, so which one would you recommened?

Photos from the CPUs and motherboard:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0xrz3gwwnu6j5lh/AA … wyl6h0tGia?dl=0

Another question: Has anyone ever tried to desolder a piezo speaker from the motherboard and replace it with pins so it could use a regular internal PC speaker? I don't like these piezo speakers.

Last edited by markot on 2016-03-05, 17:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is a link to the CPU compatibility list on MSIs site.

https://www.msi.com/product/motherboard/suppo … tml#support-cpu

It will support all socket 370 CPUs from Coppermine Celeron and up. The Mendocino Celeron 466 isnt officially supported but you can always try it anyway.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 10, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly, I'm not sure any of those can be slowed down to 386/486/early Pentium levels. The hit from disabling the caches is too big (I've seen people claim 286 levels of speed) and you don't have the necessary granularity. You can always try software slowdown utilities though.

IMHO you should consider a VIA CPU (their multiplier can be lowered in software) or something like a low-multi Coppermine rated for 133MHz FSB (you can slow it down further by downclocking the FSB to 100MHz and 66MHz). Celerons usually have higher multipliers than their Pentium III counterparts due to being rated for lower FSB clocks.

Reply 4 of 10, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is true. It's no so easy, to emulate a 386/486 with a "modern" retro cpu (core coppermine or tualatin). I have also made some test with these three CPU's:
Pentium (P54CS), AMD K6-2 (Chomper Extended) and a PIII (coppermine).

My experience was, with a Pentium you can get 486DX-25 and 386DX-40 speed. But with the Pentium you cannot play late 90's games anymore.
The Coppermine was little strange. I've tested the three FSB clocks (66, 100 and 133 MHz), but only the 66MHz FSB also with disabled caches. I've tested only the 2 first benchmarks from Phils package. And the result was: 3DBench like a 486DX-50/66 and PCPBench like a 286 PC.
The best option for me is the AMD K6-2. You can reach low 486 and 386 with the lowest clock settings, and you are able to clock stepwise higher. With a K6-2 the multiplier is free from 2,5 to 6.
You can also take the K6-2+ or K6-3(+) for these 'time-machines'.

You can try and test the celerons... install Phil's benchmark package, and test the different speeds with 'cache on' and 'all caches off'. According to what a guy here told me, with the 'modern' cpu's and the integrated L2 cache you cannot deactivate separately.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 5 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure the 694T will like the higher voltage the early Celerons require (would be a shame if the board got damaged because of this).
I remember I did once try a Mendocino Celeron in a Coppermine board once years ago ( don't remember which board it was, except it was probably an OEM board) and it didn't work the way I had hoped for.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-03-06, 02:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 10, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

I'm not sure the 694T will like the higher voltage the early Celerons require (would be a shame if the board got damaged because of this).
I remember I did once try a Mendocino Celeron in a Coppermine board once years ago and it didn't work the way I had hoped for.

All boards from the larger manufacturers should just fail to post if the VID isnt recognised. There is of course no guarantees but I have never managed to break a board that way and I have tried some crazy stuff. 😁

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-03-06, 02:11. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 7 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I remember I did once try a Mendocino Celeron in a Coppermine board once years ago and it didn't work the way I had hoped for.

All boards from the larger manufacturers should just fail to post if the VID isnt recognised. There is of corse no gurantees but I have never managed to break a board that way and I have tried some crazy stuff. 😁

Ahh, I just noticed your reply after I edited my previous post to include the board I was testing some CPUs. It was in my early days, so my knowledge wasn't so great and my collection was very small, so I had few options and the board behaved strangely I think, I ended up putting that board away.

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 10, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

All boards from the larger manufacturers should just fail to post if the VID isnt recognised. There is of corse no gurantees but I have never managed to break a board that way and I have tried some crazy stuff. 😁

Ahh, I just noticed your reply after I edited my previous post to include the board I was testing some CPUs. It was in my early days, so my knowledge wasn't so great and my collection was very small, so I had few options and the board behaved strangely I think, I ended up putting that board away.

With motherboards one cares about it's always better to be safe than sorry I guess. Trusting MSI is perhaps not always good either when I come to think about it, they fell for the pressure and allowed overclocking Prescotts on their i875P boards and we know how that ended up.

Reply 9 of 10, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 694T Pro is one of the few Tualatin compatible motherboards with an ISA slot. Using it with a slow celeron CPU would be a waste. My advice would be to build a win98 box with this board and get a slower machine for early dos games (486, pentium 1, etc).

Reply 10 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

The 694T Pro is one of the few Tualatin compatible motherboards with an ISA slot. Using it with a slow celeron CPU would be a waste. My advice would be to build a win98 box with this board and get a slower machine for early dos games (486, pentium 1, etc).

Seconded 😀

With for instance a ss7 one would have more flexibility (a time-machine) for DOS and the Tualatin board could be the used to build a nice (and faster) Tualatin rig around it. With the Mendocino Celeron you'd kinda get a hybrid which won't do either task as well as 2 dedicated systems would.

Report spammers here!