VOGONS

First post, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all. I've got this weird issue with my old PC. I think it's the video card but I'm putting this here in case someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Basically it looks like there's a ghost image overlaid and offset over the regular one:

EOlcP3d.jpg

nbX0ZWk.jpg

When I connected a secondary computer, an old laptop, I didn't have this problem:

nHuBTAr.jpg

Also, fiddling with the VGA cable improves it a bit. But it's still a bit unreliable.

My guess is that the graphics card is not working properly, since the screen looked fine on the other machine with the same cable. I don't know if there's some other obscure thing that could cause this. But since I don't have a replacement handy, I would appreciate people's thoughts before I start looking for a video card that will work in my old AT setup. 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just looks like signal degradation. I would still point at the cable, or a dirty VGA jack. Make sure you're set to 60Hz on this particular video card. Barring that the card could be old and tired, component-wise.

Reply 2 of 6, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might be worth trying some contact cleaner on the VGA port of the graphics card, it does look like a poor connection. Out of interest what video card is that?

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 3 of 6, by Nintendawg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not really an expert, but I've got a couple of things you could check.

Is the resolution and refresh rate the same on the laptop and desktop?
Pushing a higher resolution, bit depth and or refresh rate requires more bandwidth. The higher you go, the more the quality of cable and its shielding matters. Or maybe the monitor itself doesn't like the resolution/refresh rate you used.

You may also get better help if you name the type of monitor and video card you are using.

Reply 4 of 6, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bit depth has nothing to do with this, but otherwise reducing refresh rate and/or resolution can help.
The whole system (the monitor, the card, and the cable, including connectors along the way) must be able to support the required bandwith.

The ghosting is definitely a sign of impedance mismatch, and it could be just connector having a bad connection.
If both PCs are using the same resolution, and other has crystal clear picture, then the other PC has the issue (VGA card is not necessarily broken or going to break, it may just be it was never designed to be connected to high end monitors at high resolutions even if it is capable of it).

Reply 5 of 6, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for your help everyone 😁

To my surprise it was actually the cable. Even though I tried a different computer and the screen looked fine, I was recommended (by Harekiet and his experience with absurdly long VGA cables on a ship) to try a different cable anyway. And that actually solved it. I'm thinking that the other computer probably looked fine because it was using a different mode. Like Jepael mentioned the lower the resolution/refresh rate, the less the problem was visible.

I didn't mention the video card name because... I'm not sure. I put this together a long time ago and lost the specs document! The monitor was a LaCie Electron Blue III in case anyone was wondering.

Reply 6 of 6, by Nintendawg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jepael wrote:

Bit depth has nothing to do with this

You learn something new every day 😊

Good that you got it sorted dada. Bad cables and switch boxes have been responsible for so much grief over the years. They have a lot to answer for 🤣

Great monitor to by the way, I've got the IV. Awesome mitsubishi tubes in them.