VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had this for 20 years now and I haven't seen another with the box anywhere online.

I'm not planning to sell it, but I thought it'd be interesting to see what you video card collectors thought of this one.

Verite1000 2016-04-01 002 (1920x1440).jpg
Filename
Verite1000 2016-04-01 002 (1920x1440).jpg
File size
1.34 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As far as I can remember, this was everything that came with it (minus original antistatic bag and CD sleeves). I always thought this was an interesting item because it is the only graphics card I can think of that is named\packaged by a game company. Obviously its made by Canopus (which is a name that I associate with obscure '90s hardware as well), but it'd be like getting a "Blizzard SuperCOOL Geforce GTX 980 Ti"... it just sounds kind of silly now. My brother bought this to use with his Cyrix 133Mhz system (upgraded later to a Pentium 200MMX, which I still have and use), way back in 1996-1997. I've kept the box packed away safely for years but actually used the card and discs many times since then.

I really like this card though. Its too bad the modeX performance is so bad on the Verite chips. For the longest time my 9x\DOS all in one machine consisted of a K6-2 500, this Verite 1000 and Voodoo 2 12MB SLI with a SB16 CT2230. Now, I'm struggling to keep myself from building 5 different machines...

My collection has absolutely nothing on what some of you guys have (some of your collections are more valuable than all of my material possessions combined... possibly including my house), but I do have some other rather interesting things that I've held on to as well. If you guys want, I can take some more pictures later.

Its cool to have found a community that cares about this era as much as I do. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 13, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought one of those cards when they were new for one reason: IndyCar Racing II.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 3 of 13, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both me and Artex have this card boxed, so welcome to the "club" 😀

The only thing that is interesting about this card is the bundled Silent Thunder version. It's Direct3D, but it's very picky on the cards it can run on, which makes sense since it was bundled with this card. Silent Thunder Direct3D was not released in any other way (patch, retail). Personally I find the software version is superior as you can play in higher resolutions and the Direct3D suffer from being from the infancy of Direct3D (think Monster Truck Madness and Hyperblade graphics/glitches). Also there are some bugs with the Direct3D version. Ofc back in 1996, Direct3D made sense to increase performance.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 13, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thats really cool, I've been looking for a rendition of any flavour for ages, no luck. Great to see a complete survivor.
Thanks for sharing,
Best,
Chris

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 5 of 13, by fportela

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

great piece of history you have. Mind that the Rendition Verite 1000 chip was the first implementation of Quake for hardware accelerated GPUs. John Carmack chose its API because he thought he had the best performance per dollar ratio in the market back in the day and announced vquake as the premium Quake experience. It is a rare card and worth much more than the omnipresent Voodoos cards.

Reply 7 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vquake was an effort by both id and Rendition and is based on the software renderer because V1000 has poor performance with zbuffering. Kills fillrate. It's a bit like N64 really.

Development info
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.p … en&dmode=source

I have a Screamin 3D but no cool box or accessories. 😀

The game to see on one is Grand Prix Legends. That's impressive.

Reply 8 of 13, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was fortunate enough to get one of these in a lot of games on eBay. I bought the whole lot just for it. Same condition, everything intact. Very uncommon but really neat!

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 9 of 13, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fitzpatr wrote:

I was fortunate enough to get one of these in a lot of games on eBay. I bought the whole lot just for it. Same condition, everything intact. Very uncommon but really neat!

Wow, nice find!

Great, now I have yet another thing to search through on ebay... 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 10 of 13, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a very neat card sir/madam! I will need to look on ebay too now since I'm a Sierra fan 😀
The only Verite I have is a V2200 I believe and it's in my K6-3 system with V2 SLI.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 11 of 13, by MoonTurtle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is DOSBox or any of its varients able to emulate it? or is a wrapper required?

The reason I ask is because I have this game, a 2.5D first-person shooter called Rebel Moon, released in 1995 for DOS by Creative Labs, it came bundled with the R.V 1000, I don't have it physically, (I downloaded it) it seems to be pretty rare, and it was unfortunately unsuccessful due to Quake's eventual release a year later, which is a shame as the game seems to be decent enough,

Now when trying to play this game in DOSBox, the framerate is completely all over the place, which is the result of the game running without the 3D accelerator that it was developed for.

Is there a way to fix this?

Reply 12 of 13, by MoonTurtle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you want to give Rebel Moon a shot, you ca get it [removed by moderator]

(Also, sorry for the sort of unrelated replies I made to this topic, it was the only topic I could find on Vogons that was focused on the Rendition Verite 1000 chipset, which was also known as the Screamin' Sierra or the Creative Labs 3D Blaster PCI so I thought I'd post a couple of replies here, despite this Topic being more Hardware-based while my posts were more software-related)